What's going on with the 1/1's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poolhalljnkie

Pro
5.00 star(s)
When I was collecting in the late 90's when they started coming out with the 1/1's, you could get $1000 for a no name player, because it was the ONLY card in the world like it. Now I'm seeing 1/1's of Stars going for barely $100. For instance I just got the 2010 Bowman Red Bordered A-Rod 1/1 for $77....

Is it because there are so many 1/1's being circulated now (full sets like the red bordered bowman, 1000's of printing plates, etc.....) that they just dont mean as much. I'm not an A-Rod fan but thought a 1/1 for under $100 would be a steal, especially after he breaks Barry Bonds' HR record. Did I get taken on this card or did I get a great deal because of the market for BB cards right now???

So any opinions on why 1/1's are not what they used to be???

I think its hit and miss on 1/1's. Ive heard or heard collectors say they dont care much for printing plates because its not really a card. Now Ive not seen alot of printing plates for cards. Ive owned 2-3 seen another half dozen in person. And really imo they should be considered 1/4's. Cos the only major diffrence between one to the other is the sticker on the back. It also seems like some of the other 1/1's should be considered along the same lines. Yes there maybe some slight diffrences. But on a much larger scale so could any autograph card with a print run. Because rather someone knows it or not no one writes their name 100% the same each time. I guess what Im getting at is a true 1/1 something that doesnt have a parrell version also #'d at 1/1 is going to be highly be more collectable than a printing plate of a version where there is 30 1/1's of the same player in a given set. I think the other thing to consider is the player and where he is at in terms of desirablity at the moment. It seems like right now could be a good time to buy Arod stuff if you beleive he's going to break Bonds career mark. But a even better time to sell Strasburgh stuff. I think for players who will end short of milestone marks is up in the air.

basic supply and demand to me. The allure of a lot of 1/1s are gone, especially due to moments and milestones. There are still some elite 1/1s that command premiums, though.

I think less than $100 for a 1/1 of ARod from a Topps/Bowman product is still very good. Some one of ones from the early to mid 2000's still command decent money as well (Leaf Certified Mirror Blacks comes to mind).

Tim

Not surprising that the newer 1/1's don't have the same punch as older ones. 2007 spx put out a series of Ripken 1/1's. I don't remember if there were 2,131 or 2,632 of them but either way that's a LOT of 1/1's !

Amen - I'm "from the 90's" and this 1/1 thing blew my mind. I don't know what the other guy was talking about with the Moments and Milestones, but I'm guessing it means they had a ton of 1/1's in there.

The question is now... what do they do to top themselves? If 1/1 is played out they are really going to have to get creative. GU, cut autos, multi-autos,... I've only been back to the hobby for a couple of weeks and I'm already tired of them.

I personaly expect to see full game used item redemptions in the future. Im not sure how they would do it but if they do Id like to see a few unsigned and a few signed versions. But I could be wrong.

I've wondered, too, if they could do that and make it cost effective enough that everyman could buy them. One of my favorite pulls ever was a signed ball redemption from like 98 umm ... dugout axcess? for a Tony Gwynn signed ball. The ink hasn't faded and the ball has the Dugout Axcess stamp on it plus a COA.

When I was collecting in the late 90's when they started coming out with the 1/1's, you could get $1000 for a no name player, because it was the ONLY card in the world like it. Now I'm seeing 1/1's of Stars going for barely $100. For instance I just got the 2010 Bowman Red Bordered A-Rod 1/1 for $77....

Is it because there are so many 1/1's being circulated now (full sets like the red bordered bowman, 1000's of printing plates, etc.....) that they just dont mean as much.

Bingo...you know the answer. Man #1/1s back in 1998/99 was IT, now people complain "#@^($%& this #1/1 isn't GU or auto...#%()$(& blah blah blah"

The market has obviously changed for 1/1s. I know I value certain types or brands more than others, as with certain cards. Autograph 1/1s mean more to me than base/parallels do. GUs are somewhere in the middle.

The better cards will probably always sell much stronger, but nothing near the early days. Buttons, bat barrels, etc.

When there are 100 or ever 2500 1/1 cards of the same player in a set, it pretty much kills the fun. I have watched and participated in arguments about how serial numbering is/is not a way to consider a card unique and thus, a 1/1, with most people laughing that #1437/2500 is NOT a 1/1. Yet, UD turns around and pumps out a bunch of the same card with a different accomplishment or date on it and presto, they ARE 1/1s, because they are stamped as such!

I won't argue it anymore, but a unique serial number is as much a 1/1 as a card stamped as such, because there isn't another just like it in the world. It doesn't matter though.

In my opinion the printing plates are the most unique cards in the market. They are not paper it is a true plate or thin metal used for transfering impressions. Of course everyone has there own way of seeing things. If you look at them they are a true 1 of 1. If they don't increase in value this hobby has gone astray big time. One mans opinion.