What's next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

potvin48

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Just wondering what people thought would be the next thing the card companies come up with to keep things "fresh". We've been through the age of game used and autos (still there). What's next though? Any ideas on what they might come up with to keep our interests piqued?

One thing I'd love to see is for them to give you GU pieces that the particular player on the card actually wore. I know some of the cards say that they're actually worn by the player depicted on the card, but the vast majority don't.

I'd like more of a story about the included GU piece(s), like "The bat piece on the front of this card was used by player X, when he hit his 1st major league home run" or "The jersey piece on the front of this card was worn by player X when he stole his 500th base"...Something like that anyway. Something to give some meaning to the little piece of fabric, bat, base, helmet, jersey, or whatever they have in the card. Maybe even have a link or code provided so you can see a video of that particular home run or stolen base...

I still like GU pieces now, but I am slowly feeling that they're not really that big of a deal anymore, given that most just say they "were used in a MLB game". Nothing particular about that game, player, or even the team. My Derrek Lee jersey card could really have a jersey piece worn by some scrub who'll never play in the major leagues again.

What do you think? What's next?

Last edited:
One thing I'd love to see is for them to actually give you GU pieces of the player on the card

toe nails ?
finger nails ?
hair ?
game chewed gum ?
If they had a tooth pulled, maybe a slice of tooth ?
Piece of bone ? Like from Joe Theismann's leg surgery after Lawrence Taylor snapped it like a chicken wing.

Last edited:
toe nails ?
finger nails ?
hair ?
game chewed gum ?
Piece of bone ? Like from Joe Theismann's leg surgery after Lawrence Taylor snapped it like a chicken wing.

re-worded :p

Although that bone thing might be cool...

I'd like to see more glove shoe or hat game used cards.. I wouldn't mind getting one of those as a hit out of a box but a simple plain jersey flat out sucks

You know what? I'd like them to simply put a ticket to a game in the packs as a good pull. Nothing crazy like WS tickets, just regular summertime game at the ball park. Makes a little sense doesn't it? Keep you interested by sending you to watch your team or player?

JMO.

Thanks,

God only knows. I don't know what else they can cut up. We have had jerseys, pants, coats, gloves, hats, baseballs, bases, seats, the Berlin Wall, sand from Normandy, signed cards, sticker autos, patches, swatch autos, cut autos......they will think of something.

I know that card companies are not known for their great redemption service, but I would not mind seeing 'hits' be redemption cards for signed balls, photos, bats, game used items, etc. However, a redemption doesn't replace the feeling of getting a nice hit in a box.

Im still waiting for the GU joke strap, orgame chewed sunflower seed

ripkenjock.JPG

How about a chance to win a full jersey or bat? I seem to remember once winning game ticketts to a Philies game thought a baseball card pack. But they screwed up and I never got the ticketts.

toe nails ?
finger nails ?
hair ?
game chewed gum ?

gross... but they already have hair in the UD PoH...

How about a chance to win a full jersey or bat? I seem to remember once winning game ticketts to a Philies game thought a baseball card pack. But they screwed up and I never got the ticketts.

Back in 2003/2004 I pulled a redemption in an Upper Deck product that said James Baldwin jersey. My assumption was it was a James Baldwin jersey card. Low and behold 12-16 weeks later I received a James Baldwin GU Chicago White Sox jersey. I belive that the 2002 UD Authentics also had lots of items like GU cletes autographed by Ken Griffey, Jr among others.

Take care,
Dewayne

I like that idea a lot, as long as they give you the bat used by an actual player, and let you know who you're getting beforehand. I wouldn't want to redeem a bat card and not know who used it, "you have received a bat that was used in a MLB game"...It's gotta be "this bat was used by player X on this date"...

Ya know they should push the envelope with technology with inserts like in the 90s where they had holograms,dufex and 3D cards. The creation of game used and autographs have just made the R&D departments of card companies lazy and the days of hobbyists being satisfied getting a game used or autograph from a pack are coming to a close.

Ya know they should push the envelope with technology with inserts like in the 90s where they had holograms,dufex and 3D cards. The creation of game used and autographs have just made the R&D departments of card companies lazy and the days of hobbyists being satisfied getting a game used or autograph from a pack are coming to a close.

I agree with those days coming to a close. They need to do something new, or if not new, at least improved. I'd be a huge fan of cards that said what game the piece of memoribilia was used in. Maybe even use a picture from that particular game.

How about a Before Game Used card of some of the players from the recent past with a syringe needle.:rolleyes:

Bongo I was thinking along those lines also. A used cap autographed or a cracked bat in a case of course to avoid injuries. Autographed cleats something more visible for the fan to cheerish.