Which Base Cards Matter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tim815

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
This is written with the assumption that nobody gives a rip about base cards anymore. Obviously, some collectors still finish sets or try to be team completists, but in general, a box of 1000 base cards would get little play at a local swap meet.

My collection is organized by lumping Inserts/Variations with inserts/variations, Autos with Autos, Relics with relics, Patches with patches, and base cards (largely) by team. I have HOF base, star base, and base rookies together as well.

My question for the day is, which non-rookie base cards matter?

Obviously, Trout, Puig, and Jeter. My list had gotten up near fifty. I'm always interested in other people's opinions on things.

To be honest, all I really collect is base and collect sets. I look at my inserts as a means to trade for base. I would love it if Topps would go back to selling what they used to call vending boxes (about 300 base cards). It would save me a ton of money on both packs and postage.
After I finish the latest Topps set, the inserts go in a box and I go back to working on my vintage (base) sets. At times, I've sold the whole insert lot to buy vintage as not very many collectors are willing to trade me their 1970's cards for my 2013 update inserts. I know I would be much farther ahead financially to just buy the set, but I enjoy the hunt too much.

My $.02,
Marvin

To be honest, all I really collect is base and collect sets. I look at my inserts as a means to trade for base. I would love it if Topps would go back to selling what they used to call vending boxes (about 300 base cards). It would save me a ton of money on both packs and postage.
After I finish the latest Topps set, the inserts go in a box and I go back to working on my vintage (base) sets. At times, I've sold the whole insert lot to buy vintage as not very many collectors are willing to trade me their 1970's cards for my 2013 update inserts. I know I would be much farther ahead financially to just buy the set, but I enjoy the hunt too much.

My $.02,
Marvin

I could not have said it better.

My $.02,
Marvin

Well said. I do sometimes do insert sets but for the most part this is the way I feel as well.

Thanks,

Jeff

I also consider myself a set builder and have been trying to go back and complete the Topps Update sets from 1974-2013. I have been trying to trade some vintage for some of these but maybe I have just gotten everything from this site that I can get. I have completed the base Topps sets from 1973-2013 but am now working on the 1972 and 1971 sets but those high numbers are brutal. But it seems more and more that if you do not have the high dollar autos or GU stuff that trading is becoming more difficult. For me it is also the thrill of the chase. I recently picked up a 1972 Topps #698 Curt Blefary IA for 1.00. While it is not as valuable as a Puig auto it just means more to me than the latest "hot" prospect.

As a set builder, I truly believe that all base cards matter. My goal is complete sets and that if that one card missing is star, RC or common it is important. Like others who have posted I build current and vintage sets. I can definitely empathize with others in trying to find reasonably-priced high numbered cards since I have been building a 1972 and 1969 Topps set since 2003 - I'm down to about 20 - 30 for each set.

Great topic tim815...............Agree with every single post about this subject.............I too build set of Topps/Traded/U&H sets and do a select few insert sets as well...............10 years ago I was trying to build a "master" set but gave up on it as a lost cause...................To the vintage set builder, if you think the early 1970's high #'s are tough, just wait until you hit the 1960's..............I've been trying to put those monkeys to bed for forty years.................Just this year I picked up the Ryan/Koosman from '68 that set me back a bit................Quoting my wife "You could have made a car payment for what you spent on that incased piece of cardboard"..................God love her and my old, rundown vehicle..................

Well, I have taken the toughest road I build master sets includes those cards you would not see in a base set if you bought one a Wall-Mart or Target stores.