Who answers questions as well as signs TTM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vladfan27

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I have handwritten letters back from Carl Erskine and Ron Waller, and I'd like to write a few other former athletes who would answer a few questions. Anyone know of any?

I don't really ask questions per se... but I've received handwritten letters or notes back from these guys (just off the top of my head and skimming thru my bucket to refresh my memory, I'm sure there are more)... so if they took the time to write, they may answer specific questions.

Masato Yoshii (wrote back in Japanese!)
Billy DeMars
Ellis Valentine
Jean-Pierre Roy (some of it was in french, because he knew I speak french)
Trey Moore
Rob Natal
Lary Sorenson
Jon Rauch
Bob Owchinko
Norm Sherry
Gary Waslewski
DaRond Stovall
Charlie Lea
Ken Macha
Ron Brand
Steve Shea
Dan Warthen
Britt Reames
Dan Norman
Marv Staehle
Ron Hunt
Rafael Landestoy
Peter Bergeron
Steve Lyons
Brad Arnsberg
Tom Wieghaus
Rich Nye
Chad Cordero
Bob Winkles
Jim Fanning
Mike Gardiner
Manny Acta
Rich Hacker
Heath Haynes

Guy Hoffman Answered some questions and wrote a small note.
He even added inscriptions to the cards without asking :)

Last edited:
Others who have answered questions:
Butch Wynegar
Scott Chiamparino
Ben Zobrist
Mike Ramsey
Willie Aikens
Gary Nolan
Frank Pastore
Beau Allred
Billy Sample
ED Wojna
Mark Davidson

If you are writing to guys simply because they write back, expect them to stop answering questions. Just like how it is known that guys who sign are getting hit more often for TTM, after awhile they will slow down, stop or charge. Same will happen with those who "write" back as the OCD collectors will abuse this. It should be NATURAL that they write back, not that you force questions on them so that you have a signed questionnaire from them. It is time consuming for them to write back and I just have a feeling that collectors online will abuse this.

If you are writing to guys simply because they write back, expect them to stop answering questions. Just like how it is known that guys who sign are getting hit more often for TTM, after awhile they will slow down, stop or charge. Same will happen with those who "write" back as the OCD collectors will abuse this. It should be NATURAL that they write back, not that you force questions on them so that you have a signed questionnaire from them. It is time consuming for them to write back and I just have a feeling that collectors online will abuse this.

I agree with you. I don't "force" questions or send a questionnaire for them. I ask two to three simple questions and thank them for their time.

I've interviewed a lot of retired players for both my upcoming book and articles that I have written. Many of them said they're tired of getting the generic questions of, "Who was the toughest hitter / pitcher? Favorite place to play? Debut, first hit, etc." They feel most of that information can be looked up and that all of the pitchers / hitters were tough or they wouldn't have been in the majors.

I agree with you. I don't "force" questions or send a questionnaire for them. I ask two to three simple questions and thank them for their time.

I've interviewed a lot of retired players for both my upcoming book and articles that I have written. Many of them said they're tired of getting the generic questions of, "Who was the toughest hitter / pitcher? Favorite place to play? Debut, first hit, etc." They feel most of that information can be looked up and that all of the pitchers / hitters were tough or they wouldn't have been in the majors.

Interesting information. Are you a journalist? I'm working on my master's, studying new media writing/production.