Who should i start a PC of?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brendenw

Prospect
which baseball player should i start a PC of ????
Really only currents only

Heres some of the ones im considering
Prince Fielder
David Wright

Any other suggestions? Dont want expensive players like pujols jeter ETC

Kind of depends. Are you looking to build a PC and then sell it, or looking to stay with it for fun?

I think your best bet is choosing someone you enjoy watching play, in particular someone from your favorite team.

You might also consider the popularity of your chosen player. Guys like Wright have a lot of cards out there, but also a lot of people going after them. Your financial situation depending, you may find yourself frustrated when you are constantly losing out on nice cards of your player to collectors with deeper pockets. You might look at guys who aren't quite as popular, but still have cards issued of them in most sets.

Good luck!

If you are collecting for fun, pick one of your favorite players to watch. I see that you are a Pirates fan - lots of young exciting players there!

Like Ed said if you have to ask then you shouldn't start any. You should start a PC because you feel drawn to it. I live in MD and previously I had PC of Orioles players but it became so hard to find the high end cards locally that I gave them up. After a few years I decided I wanted to do a PC player again and after watching the Olympics I decided to collect Ryan Miller (US Goalie and Buffalo Sabres Goalie). So if you are not drawn to a specific player you are going to loose interest and the time and money put into the cards you did pick up can't be made up most of the time. JMO
Trish

I am confused...You dont want expensive players, but you wanna go after Wright and Fielder?

Fielder can actually be reasonable, especially with the uncertainty with his future with the Brewers. I recently was able to pick up his UD Black RC Flag Patch Auto for $20 on COMC. That said, if he moves on to another franchise, his Brewer's stuff (besides his RCs) will probably take a hit. Personally, I'd collect a player who's locked-in long term with a team, like Braun or Mauer, but they aren't too cheap to collect either.

-Chad

I agree with those before me. Don't collect for profit or for who you think you can make money on later. Collect someone you like or have some relation to ~ not a genetic relation, but some link.
I played catcher and like guys who played that position so I collect Bench, Campy, IRod and Piazza.
I also thought Frank Thomas was a class guy, so I try to collect his cards.
I went to college with a fellow collects all of the cards of players who went to our college; there are six players so far. He may not know them personally or even have met them, but he has a link to them.
My wife likes Jeter (I have no idea why, LOL) so I pick up some of his cards for her when I can.
This is a hobby. At least for me, that means it should bring you some degree of happiness or joy.
Good luck to you.
And keep us posted as to who you decide to collect!

Frank

I would not suggest collecting a pitcher. Their careers are way to volatilee and can ruin the fun of collecting in my opinion. Collecting players in a team you like or a prospect who will be called up soon is fun too

Like the others on here have said it really depends on what you set as a goal.

If you only want to get a bunch of cards of a single player you could do this with any semi to star player.

If you want a quality player collection you will be fighting team collectors, set collectors as well as other player collectors for the parallels of any given player.

As and aside I want to say welcome to The Bench, no matter what you are looking to collect you will find some very genorus traders here looking to help you.

Take care,

Frank

I have tons of inserts for several players in my bucket, please check it out and let me know via PM if there is anything you're interested in :)

Andrew

Find a player in the minors with some potential... (NOT a pitcher).... start with him and see where it goes. Should be relatively inexpensive and should be a fun chase.

If he does not make it, you haven't lost much - on the other hand - if he does... you could have a great PC.

Duane

NOT looking to Flip anything for a profit..
just a mid end - lowend player.. Dont have the cash like some do to dish out 500 a day on a card for there PC.

I was going to go w/ Derek Jeter. My ALL time favorite player.. He can be pricey But what the hell its worth a shot..

I'm thinking to wait to go to the LCS this weekend and find a item i like and pc that player

NOT looking to Flip anything for a profit..
just a mid end - lowend player.. Dont have the cash like some do to dish out 500 a day on a card for there PC.

I was going to go w/ Derek Jeter. My ALL time favorite player.. He can be pricey But what the hell its worth a shot..

I'm thinking to wait to go to the LCS this weekend and find a item i like and pc that player

As much as I'd like to say collect your favorite player, if it's Jeter I'd think twice, and if I still decided yes, I'd probably think again. Collecting one of the most widely collected players of the last 20 years (Ripken, Ryan, Griffey, Pujols, Jeter...others were up there for shorter periods, but those 5 are pretty constant) without deep pockets will get you a nice collection of base, Broders, high numbered inserts and parallels. If you'll be happy with that, then do it, but when your $65 delivered bid doesn't get you a base parallel numbered to 25 are you going to be able to accept that?

Or after swearing up a blue streak will you see you can pick up HOF'ers like Frank Robinson for considerably less, or a 4 time batting champ like Bill Madlock, how about a player like Moises Alou who twice in the last ten years either tied or outright had the longest hitting streak in a given year? you can pick up 3 Moises Alou base parallels numbered to 25 for $5-$8.99 each Looking for newer players? The Pirates and Royals look to be turning things around a bit, they both likely have a few decent players you can start collecting reasonably enough. Maybe not the HUGE prospects, but maybe a Mike Sweeney/Eric Karros/Tim Salmon type who puts out solid seasons year after year and just kind of sneaks up on most people when ESPN pops out some trivia nugget during a game. Maybe guys who are near miss HOF players, Kaat, Tiant, Raines...guys you remember from when you started watching baseball or read about (for me it could be: Eric Davis, Doc Gooden, StraWberry, Julio Franco, Saberhagen, Hershiser, Fernando, Kevin Seitzer, Gary Gaetti, Gregg Jefferies, Wally Joyner...), guys with cool nicknames (Al The Mad Hungarian' Hrabosky, Dick 'Dr. Strangeglove' Groat... ) there are a LOAD of options for every budget. Just find something that works for YOU.

If you collect somebody other than your favorite player, you will not have the passion needed to be a big player collector. If you were going after a guy like Jeter, there are very realistic goals you can set without going bankrupt.

- Collect all of his base cards and display them in several binders. That way you kind of have a history of cards from the mid-90's to present, since he has been in EVERY set.

- Try for a complete run of some parallels, like Topps Gold or Topps Chrome Refractors.

- Something like his lower-end jersey card from each year's base UD set would be pretty cool.

Really the possibilities are endless on a player with so many cards. The only thing that's not possible is getting a large percentage of everything.
Richard