Why are autograph balls cheaper then cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TJCloutier

Pro
5.00 star(s)
I pick up autographed Sheffield baseballs cheaper than a regular Sheffield autograph. Makes no sense to me in the least bit. A steiner autograph certified goes for like 40 dollars or more. However if it's not authenticated or it's something like JSA it goes from 5-30. Makes NO sense. I mean I can tell a Sheff fake or real unless you're REALLY good at faking it.. and in the past month I've picked up about 6 autographed baseballs for under $20 a piece including this one. I bought one for $5 SHIPPED! Faded signature however just an official MLB ball goes for more than that! Weird, I'm thinking about buying a nice cabinet that holds something like 43 balls.

I saw it on amazon and eBay. It's like 100 bucks and it's a nice finished wood with sliding locking glass door. I mean considering the prices I'm picking these baseballs up it'll be filled in no time lol.

I really just posted this to show how much the seller has no idea what their doing. This could be a real famous player and they would have had NO idea if someone didn't tell them lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120740657650&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

"It would have probably been a retired ball player signing balls at a booth at the Fanfest." was my favorite part of it lol. Gets me everytime.

Generally speaking, that is not the case. Balls usually run more than most other autographs other than perhaps premiums like jerseys, bats, etc. Personally I prefer flats, like cards and photos. Balls take up too much room and storage becomes a problem quicker. They tend to fade and yellow quicker, it seems, as well.

You'll find HUGE disparity in the older signatures as well. Single signed balls of players from the 60s-70s and older can bring huge premiums above the standard price of just the players signature.

Sheffield is a common signature and those prices likely reflect what I assume is a tepid market for a Sheffield autograph in general.

mrmopar made most of the points I would have made. However, there is still the idea with cards of a perceived scarcity. Only so many of each card was produced so once you reach that level, the supply runs out. On the other hand, baseballs are readily available and the player is living. So until the player passes or baseballs are no longer produced, the market is never ending. People don't actively think about it, but it does come into play in the buying process.

I wouldn't have ever been able to guess who the sig was. That is a horrible signature. Does he always sign like that? I guess I was spoiled collecting Andre Dawson. He has a beautiful sig.

Thanks
Craig

Good Sheff sig. Early sig too. You came out just paying for the limited edition ball. Those All-Star balls usually sell for $20-30 at shows. Congrats! :D

As you pointed out, your $5 ball was faded. So if you're doing a theme ball, it's a 'damaged' auto, if you're doing a single signed, there are plenty of non faded/smeared/bleeding autos. Using it as a ball for someone else to sign isn't a great option either since it was likely the most desirable spot has the faded auto already, and having other autos on the ball detracts from the eye appeal, unless there is a theme.

His signature has changed since, only slightly. The Gary part is still the same and has the signature straight line to going across to the left... now just the Sheffield looks slightly different.