Will start here 64 Coke question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubman1941

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the 64 Coke All Stars NFL and the 64 Coke National NFL. I have figured out that Wade (big head) is definitely a National NFL since he doesn't show on the All Stars list. I have Wilson, Lynch and Shofner with what I think are small heads and Gregg,Mitchell Shofner and Tittle with what I think are big heads. Is this the way to tell the difference? Are the big heads National NFL and the small head All Stars NFL?
Thanks.
Jim

Wow, that is a good question. It looks like Coke did not bother to number the 1964s like they did the later issues. I did find a Facebook page dedicated to these caps which may be able to help you out.

https://www.facebook.com/FootballCokeBottleCaps

And you may want to check EBAY to see if they have any 1964s for auction where the seller may tell you exactly what issue you are buying.

I absolutely love those caps especially if they did not have the cork covering which really messed them up. The clear plastic covering caps are just awesome. Funny how unpopular these caps are as they really have so many huge names and caps that correspond to rookie card years. And yet they are quite inexpensive for some odd reason or at least were a few years ago.

If I can find out any more info for you on the All Stars NFL vs the National NFL issue, I'll post it here.

I thought I had it figured out with Big Heads being NFL All Stars and Small Heads being NFL National ALL Stars until I got a Bill Wade Big Head who isn't listed as a NFL All Star but is listed as an NFL National All Star.

I tried EBAY and all I get is 1964 All Star some list big Head and some just list 1964 All Star. I have sent a couple big dealers I know the question asking for any assistance. The thought just hit me know to look for a 1964 Saver sheet for All Stars and one for National All Stars if one exists and see what that might bring.

Thanks and I will check the FB site out and keep you posted if I learn anything.

Jim

Wow, that is a good question. It looks like Coke did not bother to number the 1964s like they did the later issues. I did find a Facebook page dedicated to these caps which may be able to help you out.

https://www.facebook.com/FootballCokeBottleCaps

And you may want to check EBAY to see if they have any 1964s for auction where the seller may tell you exactly what issue you are buying.

I absolutely love those caps especially if they did not have the cork covering which really messed them up. The clear plastic covering caps are just awesome. Funny how unpopular these caps are as they really have so many huge names and caps that correspond to rookie card years. And yet they are quite inexpensive for some odd reason or at least were a few years ago.

If I can find out any more info for you on the All Stars NFL vs the National NFL issue, I'll post it here.

Harry,

Thank you. My question is in looking at the checklists how do you know which Coke Cap - belongs to which checklist as there are BIG Heads and Small Heads and many over lap? Appreciate you sending these to me.

Harry,

Thank you. My question is in looking at the checklists how do you know which Coke Cap - belongs to which checklist as there are BIG Heads and Small Heads and many over lap? Appreciate you sending these to me.

You may very well be on to something with the big and small heads being the key. In those two checklists that reddoght provided there is one cap pictured on each checklist. On the All Stars NFL, Jim Brown is pictured and on the National NFL Don Perkins is pictured. The Perkins head looks much larger than Brown's which would seem to match up with your theory as Wade is in the latter set. Click on the text descriptions (ie 1964 Coke Cap All Stars NFL #3 Jim Brown) and you will get a larger, clearer picture of both caps. Clicking on the actual picture of the caps in the checklist did nothing.

I'm really thinking you figured out he mystery of identifying these two issues.

Thank you and I will check the data out. I asked the same question on the Facebook COKE page and got a response that gave me the checklist data and said that the size of the heads on the caps meant nothing. So I responded with then how did the checklists come to be since there are different players on one then the other or are the checklist arbitrary? See what the response to that is. I tend to get myself in the darnedest predicaments!!

You may very well be on to something with the big and small heads being the key. In those two checklists that reddoght provided there is one cap pictured on each checklist. On the All Stars NFL, Jim Brown is pictured and on the National NFL Don Perkins is pictured. The Perkins head looks much larger than Brown's which would seem to match up with your theory as Wade is in the latter set. Click on the text descriptions (ie 1964 Coke Cap All Stars NFL #3 Jim Brown) and you will get a larger, clearer picture of both caps. Clicking on the actual picture of the caps in the checklist did nothing.

I'm really thinking you figured out he mystery of identifying these two issues.

Harry,

I haven't come up with any other info about the head sizes but Beckett also has this write up for the 1964 Coke Caps National NFL:

This set of 68 Coke caps was issued on bottled soft drinks primarily in cities without an NFL team. The caps were issued along with their own Saver Sheet. Each measures approximately 1 1/8" in diameter and has the drink logo and a football on the outside, while the inside has the player's face printed with text surrounding the face. An "NFL ALL STARS" title appears above the player's photo, therefore some players below appear in both this set and the NFL All-Stars set listing. The consumer could turn in his completed saver sheet to receive various prizes. The caps are unnumbered and checklisted below in alphabetical order. Football caps were also produced for Sprite and King Size Coke bottles. Sprite caps typically carry a slight premium over the value of the Coke version.

It doesn't offer much help probably except possibly the line I highlighted.

Thanks. I will use this info and see what I can determine.

I haven't come up with any other info about the head sizes but Beckett also has this write up for the 1964 Coke Caps National NFL:

This set of 68 Coke caps was issued on bottled soft drinks primarily in cities without an NFL team. The caps were issued along with their own Saver Sheet. Each measures approximately 1 1/8" in diameter and has the drink logo and a football on the outside, while the inside has the player's face printed with text surrounding the face. An "NFL ALL STARS" title appears above the player's photo, therefore some players below appear in both this set and the NFL All-Stars set listing. The consumer could turn in his completed saver sheet to receive various prizes. The caps are unnumbered and checklisted below in alphabetical order. Football caps were also produced for Sprite and King Size Coke bottles. Sprite caps typically carry a slight premium over the value of the Coke version.

It doesn't offer much help probably except possibly the line I highlighted.

This is becoming more and more interesting. In the era of pretty much unlimited information we cannot seem to discover the difference between these two issues. I'm sure Coke never forsaw that 55 years later people would be trying to solve this mystery due to the lack of numbers on their caps!

It is and I am enjoying it. Heard from the Coke FB guy, no new info. I am going to look at some more caps on line tomorrow and see if my Head Size will hold. I just found Adderly and he is a Big Head so will do some more searching tomorrow.
Thanks.

This is becoming more and more interesting. In the era of pretty much unlimited information we cannot seem to discover the difference between these two issues. I'm sure Coke never forsaw that 55 years later people would be trying to solve this mystery due to the lack of numbers on their caps!

The research I did on the 1964 NFL All Stars vs the 1964 National NFL revealed:

ON 1964 NFL ALL STARS BUT NOT 1964 NATIONAL NFL:
ROOSEVELT BROWN, BOBBY JOE CONRAD, BILL FORESTER, BILL GEORGE, ROOSEVELT GRIER,
RON KRAMER, DICK LANE, ED MEADOR, LARRY MORRIS, JIM PATTON, JOE SCHMIDT
BOB ST CLAIR, WILLIE WOOD

All the players I found that are on the 1964 National NFL are big heads. I did not find:
Maxie Baughan, Raymond Berry I could not tell for sure, Gail Cogdill,Galen Fiss I could not tell for sure,
Lee Folkins, Bill Glass, John Gordy, Joe Krupa, John Lovetere, Joe Marconi, Dale Meinert, Jack Pardee,
Richie Petitbon, Vince Promuto, Mike Pyle, Joe Rutgens

Since I did not see any Small Heads on the ones I looked at, for the time being I am considering the Big Heads to be 1964 National NFL and the Small Heads to be 1964 NFL All Stars. The other thing I did not consider is that maybe Coke issued the Saver Sheets and then did the caps to match and maybe the Tab and Fresca caps are different. Any other help would be appreciated.