will you still buy Upper deck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I am more than likely done with buying new upper deck baseball products. I have bought a handful of retail 2010 Upper Deck and I have a huge stack of damaged cards. Almost every pack had at least 3 cards with the big roller marks stamped in the middle of them. I bought these packs at three different stores. Also I am very displeased with their customer service. I sent an email about a month ago about a damaged patch card I got from a box and still have not received a response with a case number for a replacement. I have forwarded the email once a week since then and asking for a response. Finally got one saying please be patient, bla bla bla. So that being said, no more new Upper Deck baseball for me.

I am done with UD for a couple of reasons--all personal. Two redemptions sent in over the past couple of years and not any of them returned. But I sure would like more than one company putting out cards......but , what can you do??

Huh?

That is not my basic foundation for collecting.

I was using that statement as a general rule not the rule. I know alot of collectors have theme collections I know I do. I still will buy a pack that has rookies in it over a pack that doesn't every time. This is just me though not everyone.

I stopped buying UD products after 2006, mostly because I had spent many hours entering those stupid codes only to have them taken away from me (without warning me so I couldn't redeem them) because they changed the rules to make it kids only. That cheesed me off enough to stop buying their products. I'm happy spending my couple grand a year on Topps and Panini products.

I stopped buying UD products after 2006, mostly because I had spent many hours entering those stupid codes only to have them taken away from me (without warning me so I couldn't redeem them) because they changed the rules to make it kids only. That cheesed me off enough to stop buying their products. I'm happy spending my couple grand a year on Topps and Panini products.

I forgot all about that. I had TUNS of codes i put in and lost them all...

mlb players association is different from a product "licensed by MLB." Upper Deck still has the rights to depict players.

sorry to say, mlb does not have the collector's interest in mind, which is most evident in the sole licensing of Topps for baseball.

Both Topps and Upper Deck have done some bush-league stuff, but for me it comes down to product. If upper deck continues to release stuff as good as 09 Ultimate, i will continue to buy it. Topps has been cutting a lot of corners lately, and it's irritating.

I never liked Topps in generally, the only two sets I really liked that they created were the 1995 and 1996 issues. I especially liked the "Cyber-Stats" inserts from the 1995 set.

I primarily collected UD products, then Donruss and Leaf, then back to UD once Donruss was gone. I have never bought a hobby box of anything Topps and highly doubt I will.

I will if they CRUSH Topps with releases like 2009 Ultimate Collection. That's probably the best high end release in about 5 years from any company.

the things i liked about UD are all but gone now...I liked the design in the early years, they were simple and clean and framed up the players well without a bunch of crap distracting from the focal point of the card...I liked the inserts and being able to actually complete an insert set before there was an internet...Baseball Heroes was always a favorite, even though i never scored an auto...I liked the special cards like the MJ1 or the Nolan Ryan that you could actually find if you busted a couple of boxes...I liked the way that they changed the way cardstock was used, no longer did my cards curl up in to a "U" shape right out of the pack like my Topps did...although I will always love the older Topps card stock from the 1950's 10x better than anything else...I liked the holograms and the security features they brought to the sports card game.

All of that was part of what I liked about UD...but their customer service and the total lack of respect they constantly display at every turn for collectors has just turned me against them....sorry.

One thing that hurt UD in the past was that article in BEckett when someone asked UD and Topps about there autos. Topps said they send a representative to watch all the signing (doubt its true but they said they do it) And Upper Deck said they just send out the stickers or cards.
A lot of people didn't like that.
That and the fake cards, bad customer servos, they really did a lot of harm upon themselves.

To me, UD peaked in 05-06, and have declined steeply since then. Some of my favorite sets came out those two years. They've made tons of bad business decisions since then, and it's quite apparent quality control is something they're not too concerned with.

And after Topps thoroughly bounced them design-wise in 2009, there wasn't much reason to even look at 2010 UD product. Add to that the loss of the MLB license -- their biggest appeal, photography, is now negated by the need to avoid showing logos.

UD was once awesome, but is now just a shell of its former self.