Yet again....another eBay question...cards that smell like smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackatl

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
You guys have been so helpful to me in the past about various issues, I thought I would throw one more at you to see what you thought. I recently bought a 10 card lot on eBay, and when I received it, they reeked of cigarette smoke. I have tried letting them air out, and even tried the placing them in a closed container near white vinegar trick, but the smell is still there. Am I out of line to request a refund for these cards? I really don't want them with this smell. And will I be able to get a refund if the auction states "Returns not accepted."?

I have never smelled a "smokey" card before. I dont smoke so my sense of smell is really good at picking that up. Maybe I have just been lucky.

As to your question, I would think that airing it out for some time would do the trick. I dont think you would be out of line asking for a refund if its really that bad. I have just never given this much thought. Good luck.

This is one of three issues that drive me crazy. I am extremely sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke and nothing makes me want a card less than having it show up smelling like smoke. To me, it is a 100% valid reason to return a card or cards.

I also can't stand musty smelling/feeling cards -- the ones that have been in a monster box sitting in a damp garage or basement or storage locker for years. I can pick these smells up the second I open a package.

The final thing is pet hair. It bothers me to no end when I get a package and there is pet hair stuck to the packing tape and anything taped inside. I have received cards where the pet hair is inside the top loader and penny sleeve.

The last thing I do before I pack any trade/sale up is make sure that my desk area is clean and that I have washed my hands. I send cards out exactly how I would want to receive them. I have posted it here before, I assume that every card I send out is an integral part of a set the other person is building or is a card they have been looking for for their PC forever and finally found it.

I have a list on my desk of people that I will never trade with again because of this type of issue, let alone the list of people who pack cards unsafely or send knowingly damaged cards.

This is one of three issues that drive me crazy. I am extremely sensitive to the smell of cigarette smoke and nothing makes me want a card less than having it show up smelling like smoke. To me, it is a 100% valid reason to return a card or cards.

I also can't stand musty smelling/feeling cards -- the ones that have been in a monster box sitting in a damp garage or basement or storage locker for years. I can pick these smells up the second I open a package.

The final thing is pet hair. It bothers me to no end when I get a package and there is pet hair stuck to the packing tape and anything taped inside. I have received cards where the pet hair is inside the top loader and penny sleeve.

The last thing I do before I pack any trade/sale up is make sure that my desk area is clean and that I have washed my hands. I send cards out exactly how I would want to receive them. I have posted it here before, I assume that every card I send out is an integral part of a set the other person is building or is a card they have been looking for for their PC forever and finally found it.

I have a list on my desk of people that I will never trade with again because of this type of issue, let alone the list of people who pack cards unsafely or send knowingly damaged cards.
The pet hair part made me chuckle. I am a hairy guy. Head to toe. Front to back. My kids call me bigfoot. I make a very conscious effort not to shed while packaging up cards to send out. I completely understand how a person would be grossed out.

The pet hair part made me chuckle. I am a hairy guy. Head to toe. Front to back. My kids call me bigfoot. I make a very conscious effort not to shed while packaging up cards to send out. I completely understand how a person would be grossed out.

That is completely different. To me, if I am finding pet hair in the supplies and cards, that means that the pet is able to have access to where the cards are stored, which opens a whole other can of worms for me!!

I am just full of rants today! Not sure what set me off!

Our local card shop had a nickname of “the smoke shack”. Up until 2012ish he was still peddling 80’s and early 90’s stuff.

My recommendation is swap amy sleeve or toploaders and let them air out in dry location. It will get better.

Pet hair on tape drives me crazy. I picture cats knocking over piles of cards

I don't think I have ever received smokey cards that didn't air out enough to be OK, but maybe your sniffer is more sensitive. I remember going to a shop in the 90s, run by an old guy who was just riding the wave of making money off cards. His sister and husband also ran a shop, but it was cleaner and they didn't smoke.

It was gross to even go in, but I had the fever and had to see what he had every couple of weeks.

I think smoke smell is a legit item not as described, although many may think it's a bit borderline. If they smelled of cat ****, would it be any different though?