1988 Chef Boyardee Blackless (Dawson, Parrish & Viola)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loyalty32

HOF
5.00 star(s)
I picked up a 4 card lot of these 1988 Chef Boyardee Blackless cards. Included in the lot were (2) Andre Dawson, (1) Larry Parrish and (1) Frank Viola. Isn't it funny how the 1982 Topps Blackless can bring in some nice coin and these aren't even realized by most? Does anyone else out there have their guy? I know we have plenty of 80's player collector's around these parts...

Thanks
Craig

!BbwpLeQ!mk~$(KGrHqMH-DMEquRtMS7SBK)huYz)wQ~~_12.jpg

Do you have a player checklist for that? I dont think Maddux is in there. Does beckett recognize them as an issue?

:D

-Nick

Right on, Thanks Craig.

I am working on scanning In all my oversized cards and Some of my oddball cards in hopes of seeing in any one has any further info on some of the oddballs.

-Nick

Right on, Thanks Craig.

I am working on scanning In all my oversized cards and Some of my oddball cards in hopes of seeing in any one has any further info on some of the oddballs.

-Nick

Nick - I finally finished scanning all 438 Autographs, 303 Game Used & Patches. I'm working on Serial Numbered right now. I've scanned 117/259 so far. I might have to buy a new scanner after this...:eek:

Thanks
Craig

Nick - I finally finished scanning all 438 Autographs, 303 Game Used & Patches. I'm working on Serial Numbered right now. I've scanned 117/259 so far. I might have to buy a new scanner after this...:eek:

Thanks
Craig

I know how it goes, I have 362 GU/19AU/32 1/1's scanned already, Just finsihed the oversize, Have been slowly working on the serial number for quite some time. Probably only have 1/4 of em in there.

Stupid scanning;)

Building a following for certain print errors may never happen in most cases. It just depends on what it is, how many are available as well as demand for them and how much information is out there to even get people looking for them.

I have not seen those before, but would not have reason to seek them out or even find them by accident. They might be very limited having been issued that way or they could have been considered damaged goods and never issued. There was a day when those print errors were tossed and nobody cared a bit.

With the Topps blackless, those apparently were inserted in packs (i.e. actually issued). Many of the endless print cuts and variations we see today were never issued. Someone probably got a bunch of good or damaged/unfinished sheets and made "rare" variations or perhaps went dumpster diving outside a print shop or card maker and found some "gems". Most of those food issue cards were not distributed as widely as well. Not sure off the top of my head how they were distributed, but it may have been a mail in set. I don't see companies sending out redemption or pre-sold sets looking like that, even on accident.

As always though, it is fun for the true fanatic collector to find stuff like this of their player.

I'd like to add that perhaps many of these odd variations you see today were brought to market by player collectors who found something interesting and odd and ended up piecing it out for others. Word spreads and pretty soon it is a recognized issue!

Building a following for certain print errors may never happen in most cases. It just depends on what it is, how many are available as well as demand for them and how much information is out there to even get people looking for them.

I have not seen those before, but would not have reason to seek them out or even find them by accident. They might be very limited having been issued that way or they could have been considered damaged goods and never issued. There was a day when those print errors were tossed and nobody cared a bit.

With the Topps blackless, those apparently were inserted in packs (i.e. actually issued). Many of the endless print cuts and variations we see today were never issued. Someone probably got a bunch of good or damaged/unfinished sheets and made "rare" variations or perhaps went dumpster diving outside a print shop or card maker and found some "gems". Most of those food issue cards were not distributed as widely as well. Not sure off the top of my head how they were distributed, but it may have been a mail in set. I don't see companies sending out redemption or pre-sold sets looking like that, even on accident.

As always though, it is fun for the true fanatic collector to find stuff like this of their player.

I'd like to add that perhaps many of these odd variations you see today were brought to market by player collectors who found something interesting and odd and ended up piecing it out for others. Word spreads and pretty soon it is a recognized issue!

Curt - According to the Beckett "Bible" they Chef Boyardee cards were only released in uncut sheet form of 24-card sets. You had to send in 10 POP's and $1.50 to get one. I've thought about listing the others on eBay to see if they had any value to anyone else.

Thanks
Craig

That nearly guarantees that they were not released. I can't see a sheet being sent like that to someone, but it could possibly happen.

I bet it was a sheet (or multiple sheets) that was considered garbage (flawed) by the printer and they ended up in the hands of a collector or enterprising seller who cut them and sold them as variations.

Curt - According to the Beckett "Bible" they Chef Boyardee cards were only released in uncut sheet form of 24-card sets. You had to send in 10 POP's and $1.50 to get one. I've thought about listing the others on eBay to see if they had any value to anyone else.

Thanks
Craig

That nearly guarantees that they were not released. I can't see a sheet being sent like that to someone, but it could possibly happen.

I bet it was a sheet (or multiple sheets) that was considered garbage (flawed) by the printer and they ended up in the hands of a collector or enterprising seller who cut them and sold them as variations.

Maybe they are scarce then. I'm pretty sure I can move the Dawson. I may need to find Larry Parrish and Frank Viola's parents to sell the others...:p

Thanks
Craig

I would assume they are not too common. Stuff like that usually is not. Demand may not be real strong, but I suspect you'll easily find a new home for them if you try.

I remember seeing someone selling 1983 Fleer sticker "blue" proofs. Turns out that was a poster showing all the stickers that someone had cut up into single player "proofs". Not exactly what you'd expect, but still something many player collectors grabbed up.

I sent in for that sheet in 1988. It's an MSA issue (no license) so therefore the logos are blacked out. My sheet is not "blackless." Beckett does show a corrected version of the Dawson which is worth $10 instead of .75, but I don't know what the variation is (Cubs vs Expos?). Mine lists him with the Cubs.

I sent in for that sheet in 1988. It's an MSA issue (no license) so therefore the logos are blacked out. My sheet is not "blackless." Beckett does show a corrected version of the Dawson which is worth $10 instead of .75, but I don't know what the variation is (Cubs vs Expos?). Mine lists him with the Cubs.
Whats up
On the reverse the 1987 season is supposed to be the Cubs on the corrected version but the majority say Expos.
AJ