1998 Zenith Baseball "Dare To Tear" Any Good?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loyalty32

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Since I'm only an Andre Dawson Collector and I know some of you folks are experts on the 90's Inserts, I figured I'd ask here. Are the 1998 Zenith "Dare To Tear Packs" worth picking up at $2.00 each. Is there anything in them? I appreciate any info!

Thanks
Craig

98ZenithD2T.jpg

Hey Craig,

You piqued my interest so I went checking on ebay and found a few in some ebay stores, but most were less than $5. Didn't find any inserts, and the only "Dare to Tear" that I can find on Beckett are the football promos. Pretty interesting, and at $2 a pop you really can't lose that much...unless you are buying a case!

timfsu2k - They just have about 20-30 packs laying around. I picked up one to check them out.

theplasticman - I don't have a clue whats in them. (yet)

Thanks
Craig

EDITED for opening of pack!

Not a bad pack!

Derek Jeter 5 x 7 Z15
Sammy Sosa 5 x 7 Z54
Larry Walker Impulse 5 x 7 Z42

Corners are a little rough. I guess thats to be expected from an 11-year old jumbo product though. Now the real question...

Dare to Tear?

Thanks
Craig

Last edited:
Darn it all Craig, You piqued my interest so much I just bought four unopened packs and The Maddux Promo version off ebay :D

From 2003 scd guide.......

80 5x7 cards
100 regular size (Z2's)

parallels:
5x7's - impulse 1:7 and gold impulse #'d to 100

Z2's - Z-silver 1:7 and Z-gold #'d to 100

inserts:
raising the bar
rookie thrills
epix 5x7 Z team
Z team
gold Z team
rookie Z team
gold rookie Z team

slavlite - Tell the seller I want my cut!

mintman2 - Thanks for the info!

*Do you guys realize we probably just set a record for using the word "piqued" in a thread. This makes #3!

Thanks
Craig

Last edited:
I bought some of that stuff new. I ended up slicing a slit in the top to get the cards out. It "destroys" the jumbo card, but not so much that you can't still enjoy it from the front. A lot of guys I knew were tearing them apart to get the cards on the inside.

I don't remember now, but I think you got base, inserts, etc from inside the jumbos. I doubt there is too much interest in the jumbos unripped, although a player collector certainly would want one of his guy unripped if they didn't already have one.

I assume I saved at least one Frank Thomas jumbo at the time. I know I usually saved at least one of any unopened Thomas stuff (Donruss tins, etc) I came across.

You didn't buy the pack just to open it, right? ;) You bought the pack because it offers something interesting. If there isn't much interest in the sealed cards, you should get more out of it tearing.

I remember when these came out and I ripped every one of them. The inserts are not all that spectacular. To me the better cards are the gold jumbos. My brother pulled the gold Nomar and at the time it booked like $100. I think it is something like $25 now but I am not 100% sure. Now if you were to get a gold jumbo and then rip it...well that would just take some big brass ones if you know what I mean :) If you get some of these and get the gold jumbo McGwire then I would be interested. Keep us posted Craig
-Keith

Well, I decided that I would "Dare To Tear" last night.

Here is how it turned out...

*Derek Jeter 5 x 7 Z15 turned into Brett Tomko #99 (Sorry Robbie & Becka!)
*Sammy Sosa 5 x 7 Z54 turned into Darin Erstad #37
*Larry Walker Impulse 5 x 7 Z42 turned into Lou Collier #97

It just felt wrong ripping those cards...

Thanks
Craig

Did you rip em or cut em nicely? Isnt there a way to make a slit so it doesnt ruin the front of the 5x7 at least?

Cant believe you ripped the Jeter :eek:

Well, I decided that I would "Dare To Tear" last night.

Here is how it turned out...

*Derek Jeter 5 x 7 Z15 turned into Brett Tomko #99 (Sorry Robbie & Becka!)
*Sammy Sosa 5 x 7 Z54 turned into Darin Erstad #37
*Larry Walker Impulse 5 x 7 Z42 turned into Lou Collier #97

It just felt wrong ripping those cards...

Thanks
Craig

Craig, I wish that I would have seen this thread sooner. You don't have to "rip" those cards. You could have used a box cutter and slit the back enough to get through the back layer of cardboard and slide out the inserted card. Sorry I wasn't sooner. Butch

PS: I have a couple of those large cards still here. I'll scan one later.

Nick & Butch - I read where people said that they cut a slit in the back and pulled the card out. To be honest, I don't see it. I tried that with the Sosa first. The cards are "glued" to the inside by some sticky residue and I couldn't get them out without ripping the entire thing open to pull it out without damaging the smaller card inside. I don't think I'll be buying any more. Ripping them made me feel dirty... :eek:

Thanks
Craig

I'll rip some when I get the 4 Packs in I bought, Maybe I'll hijack your thread and just post em here.

Hoping my luck is in and I pull the base or Gold Maddux 5x7

I have the Z team 5x7 and the Sample 5x7