2009 SP Legendary Cuts Mystery Cuts frustration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

So you must get a card worth 1,000 bucks or the company doesn't care for you. Everyone must get the best card out of every pack they open. Why do people even buy packs then? It just seems that if someone does not get a big time "hit" out of every pack they open then they are pissed. I know he had to wait an exorbitant amount of time which is wrong. But why did he buy a case (if he in fact did buy a case) an then compalin about the card che got. If he was that worried about getting a super "hit" then why not just go out a buy one instead of buying packs, trying to get a redemption, mailing it in and then bitching when it is not Babe Ruth?

So you must get a card worth 1,000 bucks or the company doesn't care for you. Everyone must get the best card out of every pack they open. Why do people even buy packs then? It just seems that if someone does not get a big time "hit" out of every pack they open then they are pissed. I know he had to wait an exorbitant amount of time which is wrong. But why did he buy a case (if he in fact did buy a case) an then compalin about the card che got. If he was that worried about getting a super "hit" then why not just go out a buy one instead of buying packs, trying to get a redemption, mailing it in and then bitching when it is not Babe Ruth?

I think the case hit should at least be someone i've heard of. Plus waiting 18 months for a card sould entitle you to something say worth 50-75. THat card to be quite frank was garbage.

I AGREE 100% WITH THE SANDMAN !!

My first thought was "Who the %$#^ is Tom Cheney ?" so I did a quick search and found this gem ........ "Maybe you’ve never heard of Tom Cheney. He was a nondescript pitcher who spent eight seasons in the majors, from 1957 to 1966, with the St. Louis Cardinals, Pittsburgh Pirates and Washington Senators. His lifetime record was 19-29 and he never had a winning season." at http://miscbaseball.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/tom-cheneys-21-strikeout-16-inning-game-in-1962/
Strange, there's absolutely no mention of his passion for barbecuing:rolleyes::p

And this is a CASE hit ?????
Someone that you've probably never heard of and was a "nondescript pitcher" with a lifetime record of "19-29 " !!!!!!

I'd be a little miffed too, ESPECIALLY if I had to wait 18 %$@#^%%*& months for it.

Next time you buy a case and the big hit is a 1989 fleer griffey please start a thread letting us all know how warm and fuzzy inside you feel. :D

Yea, I realize that busting packs is a gamble...but to have your case hit being a mediocre pitcher from the 60s is really sketchy on UD's part. I can't imagine waiting 18 months and then getting that.

I agree with mmsub.

Busting packs is a gamble and there is no guarantee that you'll get anything you like. If you know mediocre players are in the checklist, that you have to know you have a chance of pulling one. I would not be "happy" to get a junky card, but that is the chance you take and I would not feel that I was owed better. I would stop buying packs!

Back in the early days of inserts, getting a Matt Williams elite card from Donruss was the same odds as pulling a Barry Bonds or Ken Griffey Jr, but you can bet that the person pulling the Williams was not as happy about beating the odds as they were upset it wasn't Frank Thomas!

I STOPPED BUYING PACKS FOR THIS VERY REASON!

Get over the shock of not getting your favorite player or even something you can resell. If you want to play the game of big stakes, prepare to lose.

I'll leave everyone with this thought..."False sense of entitlement"

I wish you luck Dewayne, but please don't become one of the whiners if the gamble doesn't pay off!

By the way, I wrote this before I tried watching the video. I got through about 20 seconds. That guy in the video is a sizable J.A.!

Last edited:
I thought that there was no published checklist for the Mystery Cuts, thus the "mystery". Could be wrong though.

There was an initial checklist published that had people like Napoleon, Mother Theresa, Mark Twain, etc. It was supposed to be the be-all-end-all Mystery Cut set being the last one UD was going to do. I redemed my code 2 Jun 09. During that time UD has recanted and been unwilling to publish an acurate checklist or provided the number or serial number of the cards.

As alluded to, buying packs is a risk. That being said when the bulk of what has been sent is utter crap, most of which is high numbered: Tom Cheney, Arthur C Clark, Roy Demeo (a murdering crime boss who many find offensive for even being included), Don Budge, Harry Litwack, and Altovess Davis (Mrs. Sammy Davis, Jr). There have been a few hits posted: Walter Peyton, Lucille Ball, Red Aurbach, Brigham Young (1/1) and Bettie Page (2/2).

The point of frustration has been that 1) the time to put the disappointing unofficial checklist is unexceptable, 2) Most of the cuts are of no-names that are no where near "legendary," 3) for the price of the redemptions ($300) 1 out of 20 people may realize breaking even for something billed as a case hit when most of the rookie autos and Gu cards are worth as much or more than what people are getting. Lastly UD has not been much of a help at all keep promising things then recanting over every aspect of the program.

I personnaly am not worried about the value but would expect a quality cut based on all the factors that went into producing the product. Not everyone expects to get a King Tut autograph but something of value is assumed. I will post what I get later today.

Dewayne

well if u dont like what ya get id be intrested. hope its a nonsport auto than ill take it off ur hands for ya ;)

There was an initial checklist published that had people like Napoleon, Mother Theresa, Mark Twain, etc. It was supposed to be the be-all-end-all Mystery Cut set being the last one UD was going to do. I redemed my code 2 Jun 09. During that time UD has recanted and been unwilling to publish an acurate checklist or provided the number or serial number of the cards.

As alluded to, buying packs is a risk. That being said when the bulk of what has been sent is utter crap, most of which is high numbered: Tom Cheney, Arthur C Clark, Roy Demeo (a murdering crime boss who many find offensive for even being included), Don Budge, Harry Litwack, and Altovess Davis (Mrs. Sammy Davis, Jr). There have been a few hits posted: Walter Peyton, Lucille Ball, Red Aurbach, Brigham Young (1/1) and Bettie Page (2/2).

The point of frustration has been that 1) the time to put the disappointing unofficial checklist is unexceptable, 2) Most of the cuts are of no-names that are no where near "legendary," 3) for the price of the redemptions ($300) 1 out of 20 people may realize breaking even for something billed as a case hit when most of the rookie autos and Gu cards are worth as much or more than what people are getting. Lastly UD has not been much of a help at all keep promising things then recanting over every aspect of the program.

I personnaly am not worried about the value but would expect a quality cut based on all the factors that went into producing the product. Not everyone expects to get a King Tut autograph but something of value is assumed. I will post what I get later today.

Dewayne

That's kind of what I thought, UD provided a stunning partial checklist and then backed off once the redemption started appearing. Has anyone seen any of those big time cuts?

That's kind of what I thought, UD provided a stunning partial checklist and then backed off once the redemption started appearing. Has anyone seen any of those big time cuts?

check out 8088edge i think on ebay. he has i think 60% of the 1/1 cut autos. has them at a CRAZY buy it nows!

Even worse. Then you are buying on the assumption of getting something worthwhile w/o even knowing what you might get. Again, it's an assumption that it will be good, but there are no guarantees and the price point doesn't matter in that case. I had not come across the name Cheney, but it was interesting to find out that he holds the MLB record for most strikeouts in a game, 21, although it was 16 innings. Still, even with those 20K performances we have seen recently, nobody has beaten his record to date! He died in 2001.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_pitchers_with_18_strikeouts_in_one_game

I thought that there was no published checklist for the Mystery Cuts, thus the "mystery". Could be wrong though.

The loudest voice in matters like this is to stop buying the product. If they no longer have the ability to sell out, or better yet even sell at all, their releases, then things improve or they go away. The manufactures have seen a trend towards adults dropping big money on risky chances to find the big hits, gambling at it's purest. Kids are priced out on everything but the junk sets that have no appeal. The hobby is just heading in the wrong direction, as has been discussed and debated time and time again. I got caught up in it for 5 or so years and have since decided that buying only exactly what I want is fine with me. The thrill of busting packs is reserved for that occasional stray pack or sometimes a vintage box I find at a card shop for cheap, like 1984 Topps stickers or something similar that is actually fun to open, yet affordable.

To each their own...I don't fault anyone for spending $1000s on new product, but I will not have any sympathy for the results.

Yea I hear what you are saying, you buy packs you risk getting junk. BUT, my problem is you have a company saying "Oh we are putting in redemption for super great awesome cut autos like Napoleon, Lucy, Mark Twain...", then when the actual cards come in they are mostly guys you have never heard of. They should have published a checklist beforehand just so everyone would know exactly what kind of chance they were taking.

All that being said...I never buy packs either!

You know me, over the years I have purchases several cases and a ton of single boxes. That was until 2007 in which I just bought a case of legendary cuts from 07-09 and a handfull of other boxes. Now I just focus on singles instead of wasting my money on the chase and get low-end GU and unknown rookies or semi-star players. The way the prices increased and the quantity and sometimes quality decreased I just gave up.

I relate this whole redemption situation to going to a car lot to purchase a V6 sportscar because that is what they are advertising. But when you buy the car and deliever it all they have is a Ford Pinto or a Gremlin. The company did not mention anything about the switch and feel you recieved the top quality product that you thought you were getting. Not to mention it took them 18 months to build and deliver it compacted with a series of lies and retractions even though it was supposed to be there in 6-8 weeks.

I am not complaining just stating a fact. Horrible customer service with all of the misleadings and broken promises. However, they did send out the jumbo patch cards to everyone that redeemed their cards early on. Things like this is why UD is not the company it used to be.

I AGREE 100% WITH THE SANDMAN !!

My first thought was "Who the %$#^ is Tom Cheney ?" so I did a quick search and found this gem ........ "Maybe you’ve never heard of Tom Cheney. He was a nondescript pitcher who spent eight seasons in the majors, from 1957 to 1966, with the St. Louis Cardinals, Pittsburgh Pirates and Washington Senators. His lifetime record was 19-29 and he never had a winning season." at http://miscbaseball.wordpress.com/2010/07/02/tom-cheneys-21-strikeout-16-inning-game-in-1962/
Strange, there's absolutely no mention of his passion for barbecuing:rolleyes::p

Someone that you've probably never heard of and was a "nondescript pitcher" with a lifetime record of "19-29 " !!!!!!

I'd be a little miffed too, ESPECIALLY if I had to wait 18 %$@#^%%*& months for it.

THEN STOP BUYING CASES!!!!!!!