2015 Topps Update Error????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kycardkid

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
So, as everyone I think has realized Topps apparently released the Update series early for retail. I found 3 blasters at the Meijer near my house and bought all 3. After doing some sorting and looking for variation SP's and that sort of thing, I found that a total of 60 cards between the 3 blasters had no Topps logo on the card front. These included Trout, Posey, Pujols, Ichiro, Correa RC, Buxton RC, Gallo RC, and Lindor RC just to name a few. After looking at the same cards on eBay, I have found that most do in fact have the Topps Logo but a very small number that are listed do not and those folks apparently noticed as well and are looking for a premium. Anyone else notice this on the ones they have busted yet? Just wanted to give everyone else a heads up before you run off and trade one. I'd hate to see someone trade off the Correa and here in a couple of years we have a 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF situation. ;)I actually contacted Topps this evening to make them aware of the "situation" (if you would call it that) to possibly get a little more insight.

I also noticed on a couple of other cards that the Topps foil logo on the card front were very weak.

**Update**

So I have still not gotten any acknowledgement from Topps as of yet, but I ran out tonight and got two more blasters. I got many of the same cards but they all had the Topps logos. I noticed on a couple of cards, the Taijuan Walker card in particular, was missing the Topps logo and "Future Stars" printed across the top of the card. As soon as I can figure out a way to post pictures I will show some side by side comparisons.

DSC00139_zps0y9jqqfy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here is just one example of what I am talking about. Anyone else come across any of these yet?

I can almost say with 99.999% certainty that they are just printing errors from quality control and will hold no premium whatsoever. Many examples of this over the years, "errors" these days aren't corrected, and most of them are considered flawed cards vs something to collect. Someone, somewhere may convice someone otherwise to make a few quick bucks, but I would be astonished if they hold a premium at all.

the following was posted on beckett sunday (with a small update added at the top of the article monday) :

Correction: We originally reported that it appeared that the foil-less No Logo cards were an official parallel based on reports from several collectors. Topps has confirmed these were not intentional. However, that does not change the fact there are many out there.

It’s not uncommon to find flagship Topps baseball cards without the foil. From time to time, sheets stick together and a step in the production chain is missed resulting in cards that are missing something. It’s not intentional. That’s the case once again with 2015 Topps Update Baseball.

There have been many early reports of these cards popping up regularly in packs found in Walmart blaster packs, usually two per pack. It was so widespread that it looked like they were an intentional parallel.

The 2015 Topps Baseball design doesn’t use a lot of foil to begin with. While recent years have use it for names, logos and design accents, it’s pretty much only the company logo this year. The Future Stars subset is also missing its banner. The result is one of the more subtle printing errors you’re likely to ever find.

Because they’re not intentional, these can be categorized like other printing errors. They can draw some interest on the secondary market, particularly with player collectors. However, they’re not generally recognized as an official parallel.

I appreciate the info gentleman. I have just been trying to figure out what I was going to do with them. Some of the commons have actually sold on eBay for a few bucks a piece with the Correa RC going between $20 and $25 and the stars going anywhere from $5 to $10. I have no emotional attachment to them, I guess I am another in a long line trying to make a buck when I can. I think I will throw them all on eBay with the exception of the Correa and Trout and see what happens.

I appreciate the info gentleman. I have just been trying to figure out what I was going to do with them. Some of the commons have actually sold on eBay for a few bucks a piece with the Correa RC going between $20 and $25 and the stars going anywhere from $5 to $10. I have no emotional attachment to them, I guess I am another in a long line trying to make a buck when I can. I think I will throw them all on eBay with the exception of the Correa and Trout and see what happens.

Best of luck, maybe the 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF situation is going to play itself out unintentionally!

God Bless,

Kevin