$800 packs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I went by an old favorite card store today. I pretty much just buy supplies from this store now though, as everything else is fairly pricey and I stopped buying packs, but the supplies are starting to creep up there too. I might go old school pretty soon and just use cardboard boxes for storing cards!

While chatting with the owner and checking out, I commented that I may be done buying supplies at that rate they are increasing in price and that my contribution to his bottom line was probably only a drop in the bucket anyway compared to his high rollers, dropping $100/pack. He laughed and said that was nothing. He showed me some high end packs in his case, the priciest being around $500/per, but he said he's had them as high as $800/per! He didn't have many to start with, but he sold them fast. I am getting more and more detached from this hobby every day. $800 packs???

That is just wrong!

Wow... I tried the high end pack ($85) and got a Ryan Howard Bat card... never again! For $85 I could get a high end deceased HOF auto, or 5 ROMLB's with 10 to spare for lunch.

I am getting more and more detached from this hobby every day.

x2

I have all put stopped buying packs, and this from someone who spent quite a bit on lose packs as little as a year ago.

The Base are unimaginative, the subsets unappealing, *GU painfully boring, the autos are either too tough to pull, of ****** players, poorly designed (stickers) or all three.

I picked up a nine dollar pack at the gas station the other day, that's right I said gas station, and thought about buying it hoping for a big hit. I talked myself out of it, went home and purchased a nice Billy Williams certified on card auto for $7 instead. I'll never know what was it that pack but if I had pulled that same Williams autos I would have called it a HIT, even though it's not enough to pay for one pack.

Rant over. Bring back the 90s.

*I count myself as someone who ever understood the appeal of owing an teeny tiny piece of someone jersey, I just DON'T see the appeal. Plus, how many nearly priceless baseball artifacts have been destroyed so we can own 1 sq inch of Joe DiMaggio's jersey? Too many.

Honestly, I didn't care enough to ask further and other than the shock value of the price tag, I am not sure I want to know. The one I looked at in the case appeared to be basketball product and he mentioned a real pricey hockey pack that he either had then or recently sold out of too.

The one he did mention had something like 8 autographs in the pack. I asked him if it was a "one pack" box or if there were packs within a box that were that much. Most of those are technically "boxes" I think with a one time open thrill, like a pack. There are not multiple packages to open. You rip once and are done!

Which products are 5-$800 packs ?

Heck, I think even $10 for a pack of cards is pushing it but...$800?!

The only packs I even buy anymore are base Topps (Series 1, 2, and Update), Topps Heritage, and A&G. Those are the only sets that I feel I get bang for the buck. Base Topps are $2/pack and A&G and Heritage are $3/pack (at Target). I'll just trade for base cards I need from other sets if they seem interesting at all.

Might be a Panini product... they now have 'cards' with video imbedded in the 'card' - I wonder if it needs a battery, or a usb cable? If it needs a battery, what happens if you need to replace the battery? Is the original 'card' now damaged?

Duane

Heck, I think even $10 for a pack of cards is pushing it but...$800?!

The only packs I even buy anymore are base Topps (Series 1, 2, and Update), Topps Heritage, and A&G. Those are the only sets that I feel I get bang for the buck. Base Topps are $2/pack and A&G and Heritage are $3/pack (at Target). I'll just trade for base cards I need from other sets if they seem interesting at all.

Agreed! Same theory applies!!

Tim

I used to buy a case every four months but as I was get few boxes and paying more money I cut myself off. That was 2009. I may have gotten a box or two since then but nothing like I was when Donruss/Leaf/Playoff and SP Legendary Cuts were in their hey day. Everyone has pretty much said everything there is to say about how absurd prices are already which is why I just buy singles now. Every now and then I have to fight the urge to buy something though.

Dewayne

I usually don't but packs that are more than $10 because its never worth it...I couldn't imagine spending that much! thats just crazy

the card company are just in it for the money these days they care less about the ones that are buying them.we would have to agree 800.00 for one pack of cards is just crazy.

I hate buying packs but like the others here I can't resist. I prefer to save up my dollars and buy boxes. I have tried to limit myself to buying boxes 3 times a year and no more. My self limiter is broken, but I try. Since I am a Topps set collector it works out pretty well. I buy series 1, series 2, and update. It also keeps the wife happy. I could never justify spending $800 on a case let alone a pack. I understand that some people can though. Peace.

Keith

The 'new' hobby tendency is to offer a 'pack' with multiple hits.

I am more familiar with football.

Panini Limited: 1 "pack" for 85-100 dollars. You get 4+ hits in the "pack" which is really a "box" with 4 hits, 2 numbered RC's, and 2 numbered base cards.

Topps Five Star is a similar format, but $500+ a "pack"
National Treasures is $350+ a "pack"

Keep in mind, the exclusivity of the hits, all being numbered, jerseys, autos, etc. That is the driving factor.

I don't mind the Panini limited...I don't do much with the base cards. I don't build many sets. I like my rookies, inserts, and hits. I buy a few packs of those each year and I'm good.

When upper deck didn't do baseball cards anymore. This was going to happen. The few card manufactuerers were going to riase there prices. That was a no brainer. But come on $800 a pack. Yeah count me out.