'85 Bears Super Bowl XX Anniversary Contest! **WINNER IS GRAPLER135s**!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
31 years ago today, the 1985 Chicago Bears team reported to New Orleans for the week before Super Bowl XX. The game itself was played on Sunday, January 26th, 1986. This was the most anticipated moment in sports history for Chicago fans, and expectations and hopes had never been higher. This team and their famous defense had already become the stuff of legends, and the Bears didn't disappoint, beating the New England Patriots 46-10 in one of the most lopsided Super Bowl wins ever!

I turned 5 in 1986, and like everyone in Chicago, my family were HUGE Bear fans! I had a slight edge on the other kids though, as my Grandfather, Don Husch, was a news editor for the Chicago Tribune. He and my Grandmother were so excited about the season, and it was most of what we talked about, much to my excitement! Our dinnertime conversations centered around McMahon's injuries, the Fridge's weight, Payton's yardage totals, and everything else that those memorable players were doing. I remember that game like it was yesterday, I could tell you where in my Grandparents' dining room I sat with all my aunts and uncles to watch!

So in memory of my beloved Grandparents, and in honor of the greatest Bears team in history, I am giving away these three customs of my own design: on card signatures from Leslie Frazier (Cornerback) and Kevin Butler (Kicker, longtime Bears leading scorer), and custom cut signature card from Maury Buford (punter):

The usual rules apply, one guess per member per day, 1-100, open to everyone. It would be fun to get another great discussion going, I have really enjoyed these threads!

I will also be posting '85 Bears trivia throughout, I will try to get a new item up each day. I will give you a hint: the winning number has something to do with the 1985 season, maybe a stat, a uniform number, a score, etc. Post your guess, and if you want, WHY you guessed that number, as in how it relates to the season!

Let's have some fun with this one too!

God Bless,

Kevin

Last edited:
The first trivia item for today: William "Fridge" Perry's McDonald's commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLagFBUKzmI

For those who don't remember (I had to look it up, too!) the McDLT (McDonald's Lettuce and Tomato) was sold in a novel form of packaging. The meat and bottom half of the bun were prepared separately from the lettuce, tomato, American cheese, pickles, sauces, and top half of the bun. Both were then packaged into a specially designed two-sided container.

Thank you for the contest.

I will start it off - #44. This number has no earthly relation to that Super Bowl that I can think of - it is just my number!

Two thoughts:
1 - I remember being extremely torqued off that Fridge got to score a TD in the Super Bowl, while Sweetness did not.

2 - I remember the McDLT sandwich - two sides, keep the cold stuff cold..keep the warm stuff warm. Put them together and have the perfect sandwich.

Numbers taken: 44, 72.

I remember what a controversy that was at the time, Merlin Olsen, Bob Griese, and Dick Enberg had the call, and I remember Merlin saying something later in the game about "I wonder when will Payton get his touchdown?" Mike Ditka has come out recently saying how he regretted that Walter never scored, and it impacted Payton greatly....I can't imagine in the most lopsided Super Bowl out of the previous 20 that Ditka couldn't have called a play for Walter, or McMahon could have shared, knowing his fondness for changing the calls!

I also remember my then 24-year-old Aunt Molly cursing when Walter fumbled in the first quarter, leading to the Patriots' first TD!

I will try #19.

One thing I remember about that year is that the Patriots covered the spread every game except for that Super Bowl. Another thing is that Monday night game against the Dolphins. The Bears lost that game and it was the only one they lost all year.

Numbers taken: 7, 19, 44, 56, 72.

7 rushing yards...that was brutal!

The loss to the Dolphins was ironic because the only undefeated team in NFL history was the '72 Dolphins, who have 7 in the Hall of Fame: Don Shula, Nick Buoniconti, Larry Csonka, Bob Griese, Jim Langer, Larry Little, and Paul Warfield. The '85 Bears have 6: Mike Ditka, Dick Stanfel, Richard Dent, Dan Hampton, Walter Payton, and Mike Singletary.

I will chime in with #15. I recall that SB with Da Bears. Payton was just pure smoothness with the ball. The defense was ferocious, thankfully they didn't have to face my Niners or history may have been different.

Today I am slowly getting back into The Bench and my baseball card collection. Will be fun to be back.

Go with #5 for the Niner SB appearances, but if tied to the Bears it would be the games they won finishing out the regular season after McMahon was injured.

Last edited:
I'll go with 85 for the '85 Bears!

I have never seen that commercial with Perry in it before. I wonder if that was a regional/local commercial? And I think the other 3 guys at the table were Payton, Hampton and McMichael. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Should be a fun contest. Thank you for doing it!

I'll go with 85 for the '85 Bears!

I have never seen that commercial with Perry in it before. I wonder if that was a regional/local commercial? And I think the other 3 guys at the table were Payton, Hampton and McMichael. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

Should be a fun contest. Thank you for doing it!

You are welcome my friend, and I am not sure if that was just a Chicago area commercial or not, I would guess it got a lot more air in the Chgo market, given the Bears players! I think Dave Duerson was the other player, but I just got one glimpse!

I will chime in with #15. I recall that SB with Da Bears. Payton was just pure smoothness with the ball. The defense was ferocious, thankfully they didn't have to face my Niners or history may have been different.

Today I am slowly getting back into The Bench and my baseball card collection. Will be fun to be back.

Welcome back, its a great community on here! Thanks for playing!

And it was a loss to the Niners that got Perry rushing the ball; they beat the Bears in 'the 84 NFC Championship Game, and Bill Walsh lined a defensive lineman (anyone remember who??) up in the offensive backfield. So in 1985 when they met, Ditka put the Fridge in for payback, and that was how the Fridge started getting in on offense and eventually scoring touchdowns!

God Bless,

Kevin

Last edited:
You are welcome my friend, and I am not sure if that was just a Chicago area commercial or not, I would guess it got a lot more air in the Chgo market, given the Bears players! I think Dave Duerson was the other player, but I just got one glimpse!

You are right! I found another lower quality video of that commercial and it said it was Duerson as well as McMichael and Hampton. I recognized Hampton right off, and I thought the 2nd guy looked kind of like Payton but something was not quite right. And it took me a few minutes to realize the third guy was McMichael.

Kind of funny I correctly identified the two lesser known guys and then mistakenly said the other one was a highly recognizable household name! I guess I am knowledgeable on the trivial things but not the basics!

And I am definitely thinking that was a regional commercial with all the Bears defensive players in it. If Ditka, the REAL Walter Payton, Mike Singletary and Jim McMahon were in it, I could see it being a national ad with all the recognizable guys. Well recognizable by most when it comes to Walter Payton! LOL