'85 Bears Super Bowl XX Anniversary Contest! **WINNER IS GRAPLER135s**!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

You are right! I found another lower quality video of that commercial and it said it was Duerson as well as McMichael and Hampton. I recognized Hampton right off, and I thought the 2nd guy looked kind of like Payton but something was not quite right. And it took me a few minutes to realize the third guy was McMichael.

Kind of funny I correctly identified the two lesser known guys and then mistakenly said the other one was a highly recognizable household name! I guess I am knowledgeable on the trivial things but not the basics!

And I am definitely thinking that was a regional commercial with all the Bears defensive players in it. If Ditka, the REAL Walter Payton, Mike Singletary and Jim McMahon were in it, I could see it being a national ad with all the recognizable guys. Well recognizable by most when it comes to Walter Payton! LOL

Haha, no worries Jeff, I actually met Hampton, McMichael, Gary Fencik, and Kevin Butler back in 2006-07. Hampton is the size of a house, my wife said from far back in the line we were in "he's not that tall!" To which I said "he's sitting down!"

i'll choose 37 today.

It is very interesting that the 1985 Bears really only have four Hall of Famers on the team since Ditka and Stanfel got in as players. That defense only having 3 HOFers in is really something! Consider the 1969 Chiefs have 5 of their defensive players in the Hall. (Buchanan, Culp, Lanier, Bell and Thomas). THe thing is what other player from the 1985 team had a career that was hall worthy? Wilbur Marshall maybe? Duereson perhaps?

I think the 1985 Bears defense (and offense for that matter) had a ton of talented players that all peaked at exactly the same time creating a near perfect team. And their greatest player (Payton) was actually past his prime when the Bears won the title. It really is a head scratcher trying to come up wth another player from that team that should go to the Hall. Kevin would have a much better opinion on that than I would.

Today's Bears Bit: some photos from what does not seem like 10 years ago!

Meeting Kevin Butler, February 2007:

I waited in his autograph line when we used to live in the Chgo area, and he was graciously signing anything and everything for everyone. I got there, and handed him my items, and he gave me two extra photos, saying "here, give these to your friends." I then explained that he had always been my favorite player, as my name is Kevin as well, and I thought it was awesome when I was young that we shared a name. He smiled, and took off his Super Bowl ring, and said "Why don't you go ahead and try that on for size, Kevin!" I did, and we got a photo together. Years later, I mailed him the same photo, which he signed and returned, inscribing "To Kevin - Great Name - Great Fan - Go Bears - Kevin Butler - Super Bowl XX. Just an awesome classy man!

Dan Hampton, November 2006:

Mongo: the wild man of '85! (21 years later in October of 2006)

Last edited:
i'll choose 37 today.

It is very interesting that the 1985 Bears really only have four Hall of Famers on the team since Ditka and Stanfel got in as players. That defense only having 3 HOFers in is really something! Consider the 1969 Chiefs have 5 of their defensive players in the Hall. (Buchanan, Culp, Lanier, Bell and Thomas). THe thing is what other player from the 1985 team had a career that was hall worthy? Wilbur Marshall maybe? Duereson perhaps?

I think the 1985 Bears defense (and offense for that matter) had a ton of talented players that all peaked at exactly the same time creating a near perfect team. And their greatest player (Payton) was actually past his prime when the Bears won the title. It really is a head scratcher trying to come up wth another player from that team that should go to the Hall. Kevin would have a much better opinion on that than I would.

Would agree with you Jeff about Wilber Marshall, and I really liked Kevin Butler, but his records have since been surpassed, so probably not very likely. Your statement about a ton of talented players peaking at the same time sums that team up perfectly! Otis Wilson, Gary Fencik, Les Frazier, Perry, McMichael, McMahon, Van Horne, Covert, Speedy Willie Gault, Duerson: none are HOF-caliber players, but were all above average, and there was great depth at every position! That was where their greatest success came from, getting the most out of each player, and the players making each other overachieve and get better each week!

I mainly only do baseball for IP autographs, but I did meet McMahon at a golf tournament a few years ago. He was nice, I found one of those old Pro Line Portraits cards for him to sign. The photos on those cards always make me laugh when I look at them, I wish there was a baseball version.

I will try #29.

I remember Mongo McMichael for not only his football skills but also as a great wrestler. I loved watching the WCW back in the day. Brings back great memories!!!

I will try #29.

I remember Mongo McMichael for not only his football skills but also as a great wrestler. I loved watching the WCW back in the day. Brings back great memories!!!

Yes, there are many who remember Steve even better as a wrestler than as a football player. He was a nice guy, I have met him twice, the first time he took my wife, myself, and about 5 other people in line, and lined us up on defense to demonstrate the pass rush defense a buddy of his was running now! Hilarious, very engaging personality. He has a restaurant in the Chicago area now as well.

Kevin I know these two guys were not 1985 Bears but did you ever hear the Bears radio show hosted by Doug Buffone and Ed O'Bradivich? Man that show was a hoot and those two guys were some hardcore old school football players! They'd really get on the players if the Bears played poorly (which was more often than not). Unfortunately the show ended when Doug Buffone died. It was on the all sports radio station in Chicago 670 AM WSCR the Score. I just loved hearing those guys just going ballistic over the Bears when they under performed.

I'll guess 82 today.