A trip down Memory Lane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

valediction

Pro
5.00 star(s)
I picked up some older boxes from Loyalty32 (thanks again Craig). Nothing huge, just a fun lot of a 1986 Fleer cello box, 1986 Topps Rack box and a 1987 Topps rack box. (There was also a 1991 Stadium Club Series 1 box, but I left that wrapped) I decided to look for star packs instead of busting. When I was a teenager, I always looked for racks with stars/HOF'ers on the top or bottom, and these boxes didn't disappoint.

The Fleer cello box got me started with a Fernando Valenzuela on top, a Tim Raines on top, 2 with superstar specials on top (Rod Carew 3,000 hit and the Strawberry/Raines combo card), then I found one with a Ripken showing on back, and then one with a Don Sutton on front AND Steve Carlton on the back. (That's a LOT of wins showing)

The 1986 Topps rack box was fun too. I got a Pete Rose years subset on the back of one pack, a Don Mattingly All Star on back, a Gary Carter All star on front, a Pete Rose years on front with 4 time batting champ Bill Madlock on back, and a Don Mattingly All star on front with Bert Blyleven on back.

The 87 rack box got me a Reggie on back, a Garvey on back, one with Bruce Sutter and Jack Morris on front as well as Phil Niekro on back, one with a Mattingly All Star on front, one with Pudge Fisk on front, a pack with a Cal Ripken Jr base card on front and Harold Baines on back, and what might be my favorite pack of them all: back cards are Bill Buckner (2700+ hits), Kirk Gibson (1988 MVP), and HOF'er Goose Gossage, while the front has Fenando Valenzuela (CY and ROY same season), Tommy John and his 288 wins, and the glossy All star card is Wade Boggs.

Fun adds to my small but growing stack of star packs.

What a fun "break." (I actually never thought about collecting packs. Very cool.) This is one of the things that drew me back into the hobby; I can buy all of the 1987 Topps I want now. All of the cards I wanted as a kid are worthless in terms of money, but mean a lot to me (and to you)! I love doing TTM with 1980s "junk" cards. At some point, I'm going to buy a box of 1987 Topps and have a night when I pretend that I'm a kid again.

At some point, I'm going to buy a box of 1987 Topps and have a night when I pretend that I'm a kid again.
I did that a few years ago with 1988 Topps. I stumbled across a guy selling three boxes of rack packs for next to nothing. Bought them and spent the night opening and sorting. My wife thought I was crazy. (Still does.) :)