ADVICE: best way to sort cards.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bronxbombers14

Pro
4.90 star(s)
I need some advice on how I should sort my cards.

I can't decide what is the best way to do it.

Just lmk how you sort your cards.

I sort my cards fro trade/sale by year and set. I put the base cards in numerical order also. I set up at a local show once a month and I don't know how many customers complain about the other dealers not having base cards in numerical order. As a set builder myself that is the only way that make sense to me.
Trish

I just got through my whole collection, over 10,000 cards not counting multipuls. i put them into 4 row monster boxes, numbered the box and rows and then grouped them by year/maker. i then went to microsoft access and made a simple worksheet of player, team, year, maker, type/style and then the location in each monster box. once it gets to be winter i may go throughthe boxes and put them in order of number, but havent yet.

so when someone is looking for say jef reardon, i just go into access open filters in names and type in the name, it tells me what box row and all the other specfics ive entered into the database. sure it takes time to do it all, but i can find it much faster now.

I have like 35,000 so that might take to long

No matter the route it's going to be time consuming:) I went thru all my cards earlier this year in an attempt to reorganize my trade list. I plan on listing them all by players instead of set lists. After pulling out all the cards just A-I they filled up my entire workshop table space. I've only finished the letters "E", "I" and "J" so far--but I do know I have over 12,000 cards of players that have a last name that starts with a "B":eek:

As usual with sorting cards I feel I will never get done, this project is already 8 months in the making.

No matter the route it's going to be time consuming:) I went thru all my cards earlier this year in an attempt to reorganize my trade list. I plan on listing them all by players instead of set lists. After pulling out all the cards just A-I they filled up my entire workshop table space. I've only finished the letters "E", "I" and "J" so far--but I do know I have over 12,000 cards of players that have a last name that starts with a "B":eek:

As usual with sorting cards I feel I will never get done, this project is already 8 months in the making.

Have and PAt Burrel cards in there? :D

My base and insert cards are arranged together by year, brand, and in numerical order in sleeves in plastic shoe boxes. My autographed, #ed, and expensive cards are kept in sleeves and top loaders in separate boxes. TTM/IP cards and CICs are kept in 9 pocket plastic sheets in binders. To find individual cards, I use these sites to get the year, brand, and #:

http://www.teamsets4u.com/checklist.html
http://www.tradingcarddb.com/index.cfm
http://keymancollectibles.com/baseballcardchecklist.htm
http://www.greatchecklist.com/

Hope this helps.

I normally go thru and place all of the low numbers 1-99 in one sack and the high numbers 100-250 in another sack. Then I go thru the low sack for the 1 to 10 numbers. I sort these from 1, 2, 3 etc. Then I place them in new sack...then I sort thru the low sack to find numbers 11-20 etc, etc. I continue to do this way till I have one stack from 1 thru 250! Best regards, David

Actually it takes alot less time than you may think. once i decided on the fields to add in access, i used excel to import the checklist into, arranged that list into a striaght list of numbers that provided me with almost all the info i needed in completing a list, al i had to enter into the excel list then was that i has X number cards associated to that name and player/type and then once the field was completed i imported it (cut and past) into access where the main list is accessable. mainly took some planning but it wasnt that hard to do. if you need help in getting stuff in order like this i can help you out some i have some time on the weekends usually and at night. but check out myprofile my email address is in there and you can add it to msn messanger and hit me up if you need the help or advice, i would be glad to help..

oh got any Jeff Reardon cards in your collection you want to trade off? i have most of his but i am always looking for multipuls for TTM purposes too.

Dave

It depends on what you want to do with them.

If you are planning to trade/sell, then they should be sorted in the way that enables you to find them easiest (by set/number, by team, by player, or however you want to group them).

If they are for your enjoyment, the same theory would be used; but instead of easy of finding, most enjoyment in viewing. If you enjoy looking at sets, use number order. If you like certain teams or players, sort by team or player.