Advice Needed - Problem with Topps/Bowman's Best

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horfin

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
So I think most people know I love bowman's best and that's pretty much all I collect. I usually wait a few months to buy boxes of the new product. However, I got hit with the corona virus really hard and decided to buy myself a box. It came yesterday, I sat down at the table with my two sons to bust the box.

The outside of the box says: 4 Autographs per master box
The mini boxes say: 2 Autographs per box.

We opened the first mini box - ZERO autographs
We opened the second mini box - 1 autograph.

No where that I can see on the box does it say the normal disclaimer of Approximate Odds and not a guarantee. It says straight up 4 total, 2 per each mini box.

I am going to call Topps Monday morning, this was $279.00 and I got 1 out of 4 promises autographs.

Any suggestions on how to handle, in particular if any of you have ever run into this issue.

Thanks
Bill

So I think most people know I love bowman's best and that's pretty much all I collect. I usually wait a few months to buy boxes of the new product. However, I got hit with the corona virus really hard and decided to buy myself a box. It came yesterday, I sat down at the table with my two sons to bust the box.

The outside of the box says: 4 Autographs per master box
The mini boxes say: 2 Autographs per box.

We opened the first mini box - ZERO autographs
We opened the second mini box - 1 autograph.

No where that I can see on the box does it say the normal disclaimer of Approximate Odds and not a guarantee. It says straight up 4 total, 2 per each mini box.

I am going to call Topps Monday morning, this was $279.00 and I got 1 out of 4 promises autographs.

Any suggestions on how to handle, in particular if any of you have ever run into this issue.

Thanks
Bill
At least the code on the box they will want. I ran into that as well with another Topps product and they responded in a reasonable amount of time but now with limited staff and covid time may be longer. I would follow upon their website with the complaint. You may not get a response by phone. Jim

Maybe I'm outdated, but putting it in writing has always been effective. Once someone gets a piece of paper on there desk, they are more likely to take action. A phone call disappears once you hang up. Or as hociman said, create a help desk case.

We had better luck mailing them the bar code, receipt, pack wrappers and the form along with a small write up with the one box that was shorted.
Takes about 4-8 weeks right now as far as getting the missing hits, but you'll get something for sure.

There are instructions on the Topps website on dealing with missing or damaged cards. I used it awhile back to return a damaged Alec Bohm card!

I had that happen with a jumbo box of Bowman last year. Definitely better off mailing in the required stuff to get replacements. It didn't really take very long to send me mine. Problem is don't expect to get anything good. If you go to the Topps website it tells you everything you need and where to send it in.

Sheeesh... and there are some people out there who have very little knowledge of baseball players at all and no familiarity with Bowman's Best's enormous amount of variations and more complicated than necessary numbering schemes. Imagine if one of those people had, dropped into their lap, multiple years of these cards on a list ... a list chock full of confusing letters and colors and was sent out on a quest to acquire the cryptic parallels, inserts, and inserted parallels of the inverted subsets autographed by paralelled player prospects from the other color variation insert set. All the while, this brave adventurer goes on with this task and powers on for the love of the trade. He wonders though, "is it possible that the list maker who handed this list and quest down is sitting somewhere on high, looking down and he himself creating a thread and complaining about these very card sets on a forum somewhere?" Yet our adventurer, suspicious of the merit and motivations of the sadistic list maker pushes on... for the love of the trade. (hi horfin :)

So I sent my "claim form" into topps in January (like the first week). I decided its been two months so I called today. the response I recieved was "6-8 months"

I said "did you say months?" I explained to the woman that I spent $350+ on a box of cards and I recieved 1 of 4 promised things in the box.

She stated: we tell you before hand that it will take 6-8 months, so you are prepared.

I said: you didn't tell me on the box that it would take 6-8 months to receive what you promised me. You stated there were 4 autographs in the box. the box did not state if what you promised was not in the box it would take 6-8 months for me to get it. It stated 4 autographs in the box. If it said "There is a chance that the four autographs are not in the box, and if that happens then it will take 6-8 months for you to get what we previously promised you" then I would not buy it. Further, no where on the box does it say that there is a possibility that there will not be 4 autographs in the box. This is like stealing, its not like I spent $1.25 on a pack of cards, I spent $350+ and 3/4s of what was promised isn't in there. You should be bending over backwards to get it to me in days, not months and definitely not more than half a year after I bought it."

I wonder how businesses stay in business,
Bill

Well, I mean if you only just called, then you;re kinda on a similar type of schedule as they are and you've already gotten between 1/3 and 1/4 closer to the time of your autograph fulfillment. :D