Any seen this before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthewbritton

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I was sorting through some cards and I found this one:

2011-08-06_12-43-47_387.jpg

What's strange is that it is missing the first half of the serial number, obviously. Does this happen much? Does it add any value? Thanks for taking a look.

Matt

Matt - Interesting card! I would guess the only way the card has any added value may be to team or player collectors. I'm not sure how big Mackowiak's following is. It couldn't hurt to toss it on Ebay. We do have alot of Pirates fans here it seems.

Thanks
Craig

What else is odd, is that no site I checked lists his name as "Robin"...they all say "Robert".

It well could be a reserve card held as a possible replacement for a pack damaged one where they would just match the serial number of the replaced card. May have just found it's way out of the factory over the course of events.

It well could be a reserve card held as a possible replacement for a pack damaged one where they would just match the serial number of the replaced card. May have just found it's way out of the factory over the course of events.

You know, that sounds like a really good explanation. I got the card out of one of the $10.00 Target mixed boxes, so this very well might be that companies like Fleer (though absorbed by UD) and Pinnacle brands sold left over inventory to resellers as they shut down baseball operation. Mystery may be solved! Now I'll just have to see if there are any Pirates collectors one here that may want it.

Last edited:
I got a few replacement cards from Fleer back around the time that Mackowiak was made and I can confirm that Fleer did send back cards that had the "/100" gold stamped, while they wrote in the individual number with a sharpie.

pinkston.jpg

Hmmmmmm...seems like they may have made some mistakes.
Richard