Anyone else upset with Topps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubby01

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I just thought of something. Is anyone else aggravated that Topps
has an exclusive deal with the MLB? I know this is old news but Bowman
boxes are just absolutley ridiculous as far as price goes. I remember reading
about UD being all but forced out of the baseball hobby, and I also remember
thinking this would cause trouble for collectors. But $350 for a box of Bowman
Jumbo? I tend to think that if UD had a shot to make a legit product featuring
Strasburg we would not be put in this situation. And then Topps has the nerve to state that thier main focus is to get kids back into the hobby.
I have three 1yrold boys and would love to share the hobby with them
when they get older but I'm not into selling the farm to buy cards for
them. I've been collecting off and on for 18years and love it too much
to stop. So thanks Topps for socializing the card industry and dicouraging
our kids from collecting. You never cease to disapoint. Any thoughts on this?
Maybe I'm wrong.:mad:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if you do not buy the product they will have to rethink there price. No one is twisting you arm to buy anything you think is too expensive. The only leverage we have is that they need our money but we don't need there product. You do with that what you may. But in other words I am not buying a darn box plain and simple. Does not having upper deck to compete with them a factor. It does but so what they cannot take the money out of your pocket.

I know your right. Not trying to sing the blues about money, just
upset about our hobby.

I for example don't get impacted by this not one bit. Unfortunately I have no choice but to like Topps products bc ever since 2006 David Wright has had an exclusive contract with them, meaning his gu and autos only appear in Topps products. I haven't broken Upper Deck in 4 years now. As far as the Bowman goes, I try to trade for his base, blue, gold, and orange...this year I was lucky enough to be blessed with an insert...Bowman Expectations with Ike Davis. I'm not the type of person to run out and break bank for the Strasburg.

Topps is not the ones setting the price of Bowman. They put the product out at the same price they do every year. This year, though, with the Strasburg hype, the demand for Bowman has skyrocketed. Accordingly, the resellers (not Topps), have jacked up their prices to get as much profit as they can (who can blame them). I'm in no way defending the exclusive deal Topps and MLB have, but I can't see blaming Topps on the price of Bowman other than the fact that they put Strasburg in the set.
- Britt

I think thats the problem. Not so much the inflation of the price but the surge of Strasburg. I know next year its to be Bryce Harper, and Im sure year in year out there will be someone hyped up. But just look at history. How many sure things became busts? Do anyone think its not possible that Strasburg could become another Ben McDonald or Todd Van Poppel? A couple more outings like his last few in concession and I think you'll see the hype start to dwindle down as long with the prices. Do you guys rember Pedro Astacio? He use to K close to or more than 200 every year but always had a fairly high ERA and average at best win totals. Or worse, he could be sitting next to Jordan Zimmerman before you know it.

But the retail products are still at the low prices. Did not purchase retail stuff....but now I'm glad they have them.....Bowman!! Best regards, David

Topps is not the ones setting the price of Bowman. They put the product out at the same price they do every year. This year, though, with the Strasburg hype, the demand for Bowman has skyrocketed. Accordingly, the resellers (not Topps), have jacked up their prices to get as much profit as they can (who can blame them). I'm in no way defending the exclusive deal Topps and MLB have, but I can't see blaming Topps on the price of Bowman other than the fact that they put Strasburg in the set.
- Britt

+1
It's not Topps that's raising the prices. It's the distributers and card shops.
Retail stores like Wal-Mart and Target are now the way to go if you missed the boat earlier. I actually just pulled a Purple Refracter of Strasburg this way.

What you can do is purchase the cheaper products. At 1 year old they don't know the difference between Aaron Laffey or Evan Longoria.

I think it is great that you want to share your interest with your kids and as they get older they will enjoy it just like you do. You don't have to spend lots of $$$ to enjoy this hobby.

You can go to most hobby shops and pick up some older boxes from past years for next to nothing.

People are just trying to make extra $$$$ because of a phenom pitcher. I don't say it is right but if people are willing to pay that then shame on them.

He could blow out his arm in his next start and never pitch again. Then how much will his cards be worth?

You got your priorities set right.

Ron

What you can do is purchase the cheaper products. At 1 year old they don't know the difference between Aaron Laffey or Evan Longoria.

I think it is great that you want to share your interest with your kids and as they get older they will enjoy it just like you do. You don't have to spend lots of $$$ to enjoy this hobby.

You can go to most hobby shops and pick up some older boxes from past years for next to nothing.

People are just trying to make extra $$$$ because of a phenom pitcher. I don't say it is right but if people are willing to pay that then shame on them.

He could blow out his arm in his next start and never pitch again. Then how much will his cards be worth?

You got your priorities set right.

Ron

Ron is spot on. There's a reason Topps continues to make Opening Day year after year, and it's not because of the investment potential. Or you can get past years of Topps boxes for really cheap as well. I can understand your frustration, but I bear no grudge against Topps or MLB or the maniac collector. To each his own, as they say.

(as he goes to list his #6 Finest redemption on ebay...)

Topps didn't issue any Hensley Meulens cards in any of their sets this year, so they're not getting any of my money. So demand is less 1 for everyone else :)

Good feedback, thanks to everyone. Still bummed about my favorite
product being so expensive though. Oh well, life goes on.