Anyone have any info on this card?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoyt55

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I picked up this 1968 Topps Luis Tiant at the flea market last year. However, there is a smaller picture-like image of the 1969 Topps design in the bottom-left corner of the card, and I cannot find any info on what exactly this card is. Any help would be appreciated.

Can't seem to get a pic posted, and I can't find one anywhere, but if anyone happens to know anything about this card, let me know.

Last edited:
The small bottom image doesn't happen to be a sticker, does it? There were 1969 stickers that a kid might have stuck on his 1968 card.

Scans would definitely help.

That's a good guess but, unless I skipped over him, Tiant wasn't on any of the stickers.

Pic definitely needed.

I'm not so sure that it is the sticker, the '68 card image can be seen through the little '69 card image. Unless the stickers are see-through once peeled (if anyone has any info on that), I'm not sure it is the sticker.

I also have a '68 Maury Wills like the Tiant one. My scanner is really screwed up, I'm going to take a pic of it and try and upload it soon.

Those decals are probably not very thick (I have a few, but never tried to apply any to something). If it's over the surface, I'd be willing to bet that is what you have, a decal stuck on a card.

I guess it could be the sticker, I'm trying to gauge whether I can see the added layer of the sticker, but I can't really tell. So far, the decal is really the only answer that seems plausible, so I'll probably just go with that.

Thanks for all the info everyone! Was an interesting pickup for a quarter. :)

Should be pretty easy to tell if it's a decal or not. Run your fingernail up to the edge of the smaller image. If you feel any sort of edge, it's a decal and not printing on the card.

I think the decals were printed on clear vinyl which would allow you to see some of the card background.

The Tiant decal is a different design than his regular 1969 card, so if it looks like the decal I posted above, that's all that it could be.

!CFQCodgBmk~$(KGrHqR,!h4E1KrtE6UgBNUeMz!TiQ~~_3.jpg

Yep, like I said before, I'm pretty much assuming it's the decal because that's really all it could be at this point. The pic is the same as the decal.

Thanks for the help!

Nice detective work boys. To think some kid, having no idea of the future value. Devalued the sticker and the card. Oh well, cool to find out either way.

Card and decal together are only worth around $10, so not much value there to begin with. :) I could care less, it's actually a nice interesting piece for my collection.

I actually think I have a couple 1969 Topps that have the corresponding sticker stuck to the back of the card. Kind of neat. I may have to look for them.