Anyone have early-mid 1980's Baseball Card Magazines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMRSON

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Looking for the articles on proofs. Who authored? Maybe even scans/copies.

In 1987 I had a "find" of over 100 1981-1983 Fleer proof sheets and want to write an article about them and what different proofs they contained.

These articles had fascinated me about proofs and educated me to recognize what they were.

Thanks for the help!!

Could use these articles if it's not too much of a problem. The first one has the Fleer proof article. When I got my 66 card sheets I took them home and compared every card in the sets to the ones on the sheets and kept pretty good notes.

Baseball Cards, December 1986, Issue #19, Volume 6, No.5
Cover: Wally Joyner
"Non-Topps proof cards are a non-stop challenge" by Keith Olbermann. pp34-39. Proof cards for tobacco, Bowman, Donruss, Fleer, Goudey, Hostess, Kelloggs issues.

Baseball Cards, June 1986, Issue #16, Volume 6, No.2
Cover: Rare Topps proof cards
"The '$20,000 Garage Find'" by Keith Olbermann. pp76-81. Rare Topps proof from 1960-1985

If DaClyde doesn't have all of the issues, I have the first 100 or so. I would just need to know the issue and maybe a little time to unbury the binders.

Thanks! I think this should give me what I need, but I'll keep you in mind. Do you have the Garvey '82 fielding pose proof? I think they pictured it in the articles. Of the 100+ 81-83 Fleer proof sheets I had, there were dupes of every one except the one with Garvey & some other big stars. There was only one sheet.

Is that the non-stamp version of the stamp? I think I might, but would have to know exactly how to ID them.

Thanks! I think this should give me what I need, but I'll keep you in mind. Do you have the Garvey '82 fielding pose proof? I think they pictured it in the articles. Of the 100+ 81-83 Fleer proof sheets I had, there were dupes of every one except the one with Garvey & some other big stars. There was only one sheet.

Is that the non-stamp version of the stamp? I think I might, but would have to know exactly how to ID them.

I don't know if this is the stamp pic. Pretty rare card in the 80's. It wasn't on the checklist when the magazine was issued. Sorry for the poor photo. I wish I would have had a digital camera then.

I don't know if this is the stamp pic. Pretty rare card in the 80's. It wasn't on the checklist when the magazine was issued. Sorry for the poor photo. I wish I would have had a digital camera then.

photo

Last edited:
I thought you meant a fleer stamp. No, I don't have the Garvey card in your picture. I think that photo or one close to it may have been used for a Fleer stamp though. Would have to look. Nice. I would definitely like to add that to my collection if one was available.

I take it you don't have it any longer, based on the digital camera comment?

Too bad they didn't use that shot. His 82 Fleer is one of the worst card photos he has out there!

I thought you meant a fleer stamp. No, I don't have the Garvey card in your picture. I think that photo or one close to it may have been used for a Fleer stamp though. Would have to look. Nice. I would definitely like to add that to my collection if one was available.

I take it you don't have it any longer, based on the digital camera comment?

Too bad they didn't use that shot. His 82 Fleer is one of the worst card photos he has out there!

Only had one of the Garvey sheet. If I had 2 the other would have went to former actor & Garvey collector Trevor Henley/V.Malibrew. I've lost touch with him...did you ever know him?

Never heard of him. I wonder if he is the guy some people have mentioned as having an exceptional Garvey collection. Not sure if this is related, but there is a seller in California who claimed to obtain a portion or all of "the best" Garvey collection out there. To date, he has not listed a single item that I have needed/wanted though and I grab duplicates of the "good" stuff.

If he is active still, he must not be on ebay.

Do you still have the sheet then or was it sold/traded? Sounds like maybe you still have it?