Are these worth buying?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Panzram

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Admittedly I usually buy hot packs so I'm guarenteed a hit but I saw a product that's cheaper buy pack and wondered if they were worth it. Tristar Prospects Plus 2009. Let me know you comments.

if your just wanting hits and can get a decent deal you probably will do alright buying Tristar but you won't ever get your money's worth back out of them either for the most part, even if you hit something bigger it will be hard to move.

Two ways for the hot pack....one by opening pack and resealing it with worthless gu or auto or it could be a special pack in each box by the company making the box. Best regards, David

By buying hot packs you are supporting packfeelers and/or resealers. So you're either hurting the other hobbyists that frequent the store the tool felt the pack in, or hurting yourself by getting ripped off.
Richard

I'd be VERY careful using logic like that

You are very generous with the use of the word logic.

You can buy hot packs without searching the packs yourself.

I often see dealers at shows offering guaranteed packs and they are offered by the hundreds on eBay.

Though I don't condone the searching of packs or the buying and selling of hot packs, the original poster never said that he searched packs and you jumped to a huge conclusion accusing him of such.

Michael

biggiodiogu759 - He is not personally pack searching, he is buying hot packs from people who do packsearch, Major difference for sure, However when you buy hot packs you are supporting someone who does pack search.

Your previous statement is an accusation that is unwarranted, even though you phrased it as a question.

Ok, let me ask this then:

To the OP:

So, what you are saying that you buy from packserchers who are ruining this hobby for the kids that most of the time cant buy hobby packs and have to buy retail, and you are robbing them of the joy of getting a Relic card which now becuase of packserchers they cant have a chance at getting?

Anyone have time to educate me on what a hot pack is and where it comes from, i.e. manufacturer, third-part, etc.?? After reading this thread, I am very curious.

Ok, let me ask this then:

To the OP:

So, what you are saying that you buy from packserchers who are ruining this hobby for the kids that most of the time cant buy hobby packs and have to buy retail, and you are robbing them of the joy of getting a Relic card which now becuase of packserchers they cant have a chance at getting?

It is what it is, Everyone has the right to buy what they want. This question you posted has essentially been answered with the original poster's first post in the thread.

Your questions here is nothing more than a provoking statement that can or will lead to a minor or major thread war, which is something we do not condone here on The Bench and you know it.

You've got a PM coming your way.

To answer the following poster's question:

Hot Packs are packs that have been purchased and have been Felt up, weighed, opened and resealed, or some other form of pack searching that would tell the original buyer that there is some sort of "Hit" in the pack (GU or AU)

The original buyer then resells the Pack at a higher price because they guarentee there is a hit in the pack.

Ok, thanks Slavlite...I get the gist of it, it's too bad that's goin' on out there, I've been out of the hobby for a long time, boy it's changed!!

I just want to clarify that my earlier post was not meant as an attack or a snide remark. I was attempting to educate the original poster on where "hot packs" come from and the general attitude in the hobby towards packsearchers and resealers. From the tone of his post it seems like he may not have been aware.
Richard

Edit - It's also possible by "hot pack" the OP was referring to packs where you are guaranteed a hit by the manufacturer, like Triple Threads or Tribute.

My 2 cents for what it's worth.........

I have no way of knowing where all the hot packs on ebay come from but just because someone is selling a hot pack doesn't mean they did anything wrong.

I would love to know what's wrong with someone doing either of the following.

Scenario 1: I buy a box which is guaranteed to contain 5 gu/auto. I open all but three of the packs and have only pulled 2 gu cards. I then decide to sell the remaining packs as hot packs.

Scenario 2: I buy a box in which I know all packs containing a gu/auto weigh more or less than regular packs. I open the box, weigh all the packs and sell the ones containing gu/auto as hot packs.

In my opinion, they're my packs, I can do what I want with them. Bought legitimately and advertised/sold honestly. I've done both of those things and my conscience is clear.

I remember when hot packs were referencing the packs in sealed hobby boxes that were full of nothing but insert cards.

I personally wouldn't buy any sort of wax or boxes online unless they were factory sealed from a reputable dealer, but that is my opinion.

I'd really like to know the hit/miss factor for actual packsearchers...especially the wal-mart/target people. They have to miss on quite a few one would think, especially with some of the higher-end brands actually varying card counts and blank sizes.

Pack searching has been around for a long, long time, and it won't go away anytime soon. Maufacturers try & try to thwart it but someone always finds a way, LOL.
I have zero issue with the scenarios mintman describes, because he bought the entire box and can do with it as he wishes. To me, thats not packsearching but smart retailing. To me, pack searching is when someone picks the 'hit" packs out of a box and leaves the rest behind, for the unaware to buy- happens at both the retail & hobby levels. I don't like that stuff, because we should all have the same fair shot at pulling something good.
The hot pack issue can be unclear, as we don't always know the source of the packs- i.e. whether they have been opened & resealed, as posted above, or handpicked as mintman does.
I don't buy the hot packs advertised on Ebay simply because I'd rather not gamble on the authenticity of the pack, and the honesty of an unknown seller. As someone else stated, wish there was a way we could gauge the quality of the hits from hot packs, that would be an interesting read, IMO.