Beckett #3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I just picked up issue #3 of Beckett from January 1985. I was wondering if anybody else looks for these older magazines. I have issues 3 thru 266 except for 20 issues that I am missing. I was just wondering if I am the only idiot who looks for these kinds of things and keeps them. I actually have them in comic book bags and boxes.

I haven't bought a monthly magazine in 20 years. I used to buy the quarterly as I recall, but not in a long time. I did buy the 2020 Beckett Annual Baseball Price Guide this year. The last time I bought was the 2014 Annual. It sounds like an interesting collection that you have.

I had alot of the 4 sport becketts from the early years and last year I decided to sell. Did pretty good selling them at $2 each. Got rid of alot but still have quite a few football. I have the #1 hockey Gretzky and #1 Basketball (Jordan) . I would love to get all four #1's. thx Jim

I also have the Beckett's #1 hockey. I wonder if it is worth anything?

I don't collect those old guides but I'm glad you do. I have asked that trivia question about the 4 cards from 1960 to 1985 in the 1985 guide that listed for $100 or more to a lot mof veteran collectors but no one can even guess one outside of the Rose RC. The Seaver, Carlton and Yaz RCs were the other three and everyone is always surprised about that. Ryan, Brett and Schmidt's RCs seem to be a common answer along with various Mantles in that 25 year time frame.

Props to me for being the only Bench member to guess any of those on that trivia topic you started a few months back. I had the Rose and Seaver but not the other two. I'm not sure if that means I know a lot about old sports cards or that I'm just old?? Probably both! LMAO!!!

You are an idiot for it, but not the only one!! :)

I have a ton of them from back when I was a regular user and subscriber. I always kept them in top shape and even bought some lots of older issues from before when I started (my first Beckett purchase from the news stand was the Benito Santiago cover in 1988) from local shops and such. I would try to fill in the gaps, but buying magazines is a losing proposition it seems. If sellers have good prices, they only have 1-2. If they have a bunch of what you want, it seems like they want $5-10 or more for each magazine (Not talking Beckett, just in general). Shipping magazines is costly too.

I would love to fill in the missing pieces. I probably need a dozen or so between 1 and maybe 250-300 for baseball. Have a lot of the early issues for the other sports as well. s-l1600.jpg

I am actually down to 20 issues to have the first 300 issues of Beckett. I figured that is where I would stop because it seems like a nice round number. I figure a lot of people really think it is a waste but I just collect what I like to collect. I have seen the #1 issue of Beckett for sale on ebay but $100.00 seems about the going rate. I paid 15.00 delivered for issue #3 which I thought was fair. But these older magazines are getting harder and harder to find. I try and go to flea markets and auctions but with the Covid going on these days those are few and far between. I also have a bunch of the Beckett Future Stars, Topps magazines (remember those!!), Super Bowl, World Series, All Star Game and Hall of Fame programs. Moving into a bigger house with a room strictly designated for my collection has been a great. But it seems it is growing more and more.

I also remember getting an old magazine called Baseball Cards. they use to put cards in them that were reprints of classic Topps designs with current players but I think Topps put a stop to that. I pick them up here and there when I find them also. But I will not pay more than 1.00 each for those.

I have 2 boxes worth that I havent looked at in AGES, if you are looking for specific ones let me know and I will take a look. My wife would love for me to ditch them

I have 2 boxes worth that I havent looked at in AGES, if you are looking for specific ones let me know and I will take a look. My wife would love for me to ditch them
Please let me know if you have any of the following issues:

I also remember getting an old magazine called Baseball Cards. they use to put cards in them that were reprints of classic Topps designs with current players but I think Topps put a stop to that. I pick them up here and there when I find them also. But I will not pay more than 1.00 each for those.
I have a run of those through the first 100 at least. They changed the name later to Sports Cards. I am with you, the card/hobby magazines are not worth much to me, so i am not interested in spending much more than a buck or less an issue, unless there is something special about it.