BSL 2.0 Updates....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Been keeping up with reading the posts, just haven't really had a chance to make any myself. like what I see so far. been playing around with the software and having some fun... my wife is about to have me certified...

- Chris

LOL, I was poking around the BSL site, looking at the Marlins team page. I checked out the personnel and saw my name as General Manager... pretty cool :) I really appreciate the fudge on my age too... 29. I don't mind, but I'm pretty happy at 34 :)

on a side note, my bench coach can teach hitting better than my hitting coach :( Cory - how much of a factor do the coaches ratings play into a teams performance? Will we have the option to hire/ fire coaches?

Last edited:
LOL, I was poking around the BSL site, looking at the Marlins team page. I checked out the personnel and saw my name as General Manager... pretty cool :) I really appreciate the fudge on my age too... 29. I don't mind, but I'm pretty happy at 34 :)

on a side note, my bench coach can teach hitting better than my hitting coach :( Cory - how much of a factor do the coaches ratings play into a teams performance? Will we have the option to hire/ fire coaches?

I noticed the age thing with me, too. I don't think it's a typo as the b-day in the system is correct. I think it's just because we are at 1/1/07 in the SIM world so we've gone back in time. We're all five years younger here in the new BSL!

Eric

I noticed the age thing with me, too. I don't think it's a typo as the b-day in the system is correct. I think it's just because we are at 1/1/07 in the SIM world so we've gone back in time. We're all five years younger here in the new BSL!

Eric

Exactly.

Not to mention we can never die in the BSL, so someone might hit 100:)

Awesome! :)

What about the coach ratings... how much can they affect the overall play of a team and can we control hiring and firing?

Awesome! :)

What about the coach ratings... how much can they affect the overall play of a team and can we control hiring and firing?

There are no coaches/personnel....the reports were generated with the default coaches but they have absolutely no effect on our league.

I need a volunteer (or two) to do some BSL testing with the new software. Please PM me if you're available and able to respond somewhat timely so I can get these tests done.

Cory

The testing is going well at this point. I think we should be able to start 'training' the rest of the league in the next week or two on getting everything downloaded/uploaded, making changes, etc. I might even make a video if I get a real itch.

I have reviewed the projections for salaries and a lot of teams are on or over the 85 million budgets at this point. Then again, a lot of teams haven't even spent 10 million yet either. These are all estimates, but salaries will be generated due to ratings, veteran status (longer, the more money). Young players that are pre-arbitration cost the minimum, so they have very little hit against the budgets.

The cap is at 125 million, but all teams were budgeted for 85 million with a 2 million cash reserve. Due to the state of my review, I am upping all teams' 2007 budget to 95 million with the 2 million cash reserve. Most of the huge contracts are probably gone at this point. I don't have exact numbers, but high-rated veteran players are the most expensive, so if you've taken a lot of them, consider some younger players in future rounds.

I also upped the cash maximum from 10,000,000 to 20,000,000 which will (down the line) reward teams that don't spend all of their budget each season with flexibility in the future (keep in mind we still have a luxury tax that will be in place on the large-market teams).

Cory

I have reviewed the projections for salaries and a lot of teams are on or over the 85 million budgets at this point. Then again, a lot of teams haven't even spent 10 million yet either. These are all estimates, but salaries will be generated due to ratings, veteran status (longer, the more money). Young players that are pre-arbitration cost the minimum, so they have very little hit against the budgets.

The cap is at 125 million, but all teams were budgeted for 85 million with a 2 million cash reserve. Due to the state of my review, I am upping all teams' 2007 budget to 95 million with the 2 million cash reserve. Most of the huge contracts are probably gone at this point. I don't have exact numbers, but high-rated veteran players are the most expensive, so if you've taken a lot of them, consider some younger players in future rounds.

I also upped the cash maximum from 10,000,000 to 20,000,000 which will (down the line) reward teams that don't spend all of their budget each season with flexibility in the future (keep in mind we still have a luxury tax that will be in place on the large-market teams).

Cory

Funny, Meliah and I were talking about this today, and it was going to be something I was going to ask you about tonight.

Funny, Meliah and I were talking about this today, and it was going to be something I was going to ask you about tonight.

The hardest part is the fact the game doesn't show the actual salaries just a rough estimate. There are some teams at or near the original 85 million mark who have taken lots of vets, and some teams barely near 10 million. (wait for arb and free agency in a few years when they all hit at once!)

A good mixture of young and old is the route to go. Who knows who is going to win now or later at this point. One could argue that the veterans have a distinct advantage for a few years only because draft picks will usually be at least 1, usually 2-3 years from the show so teams loaded early should have some staying power for awhile.

Either way, we will figure it out. The first season financially will be a huge mess just because the individual team markets and owner tendencies won't play into the money, then they will take major roles in the following offseason. I fully expect to see huge budget swings for a lot of franchises.

Luckily, losing players to free agency gets you a supplemental draft pick, unlike our previous league. Then again, you give them up to sign the players.

With all that said, I still recommend teams to draft who they want. We can figure out the initial issues as we go...we still have a bit of flexibility this season.

I was also wondering about the salary issues. I have quite a few veterans who will probably be making a lot of money. I had money issues with the last BSL so hopefully I will be able to avoid them this time around. But maybe the Tribe will win and all the money issues will be moot.

I was also wondering about the salary issues. I have quite a few veterans who will probably be making a lot of money. I had money issues with the last BSL so hopefully I will be able to avoid them this time around. But maybe the Tribe will win and all the money issues will be moot.

Exactly...if you win it shouldn't be an issue. Also, unlike the other BSL, everyone is starting out on equal footing as far as the budget goes. The actual owner ratings, however, are not changed. Some owners are thrifty and will lower the budget, others will blow it wide open. Obviously, fan interest, etc plays a huge role as it always has.

I have done a little practice run, and though not familiar with starting a team, I have tried to keep budget in mind while drafting. I would think I am on the lower end of the scale, and have already created somewhat of signing strategy. Player co-operation will play a large part, but I drafted towards those that may be most willing to go with the flow, so to speak.

---Frank

I have done a little practice run, and though not familiar with starting a team, I have tried to keep budget in mind while drafting. I would think I am on the lower end of the scale, and have already created somewhat of signing strategy. Player co-operation will play a large part, but I drafted towards those that may be most willing to go with the flow, so to speak.

---Frank

A quick reminder, especially since you're new to BSL.

Players with 0-3 years service time = league minimum
3-6 = arbitration eligible
6+ = Free Agent eligible

This game DOES include super-two's...so players with 2 years of service in the top 17% of players will be eligible for arbitration years 2,3,4,5 instead of 3,4,5.

Obviously, you can buy out arbtiration, etc. I don't expect the computer to do any of that coming out of the draft though.

The players with 6+ years of MLB service are the expensive ones!