BSL- Arbitration *ALL OWNERS READ AND CHECK IN-OFFSEASON SCHEDULE INSIDE*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the arbitration page there is a box you check to offer arbitration, do this and if he walks you will get a 1st RD pick as compensation or at least an early 2nd RD. You probably will have about a $90m budget next year and if you pay the people in arbitration what is expected you will have already spent $77m before you even get a free agent to replace those players lost, but if you sign Cunningham for around $20m you will eat into your cash and your long term commitment to expensive players is troubling, especially since you have Burrell on the roster.

If you haven't found the arbitration page, it's under the BSL pulldown menu. Look at the year's performances to determine if you can save money by withdrawing offers to poor performers to then offer them less. Players are greedy, but a huge raise over the prior year is not practical and if it follows real life it will be a reality check for them. Perez had a nice 15-4 record with a low ERA, so he might beat you, but so what it'd be for one year. Too many owners are bidding against themselves in both extensions. At some point you take the hit of losing a player but if you spend so freely that it inhibits you from keeping the really good players or signing budget conscious replacements you will find you no longer have the flexibiliy because of the budget in out years.

I offered both Higgins and Cunningham salary arbitration hopefully they'll both except if not there is the door..and i get some rule 5 draft picks

I offered both Higgins and Cunningham salary arbitration hopefully they'll both except if not there is the door..and i get some rule 5 draft picks

It is rare they accept but you bever know....the compensation picks are rookie draft picks not rule 5....they are valuable picks...read my thread on fa compensation

It is rare they accept but you bever know....the compensation picks are rookie draft picks not rule 5....they are valuable picks...read my thread on fa compensation

Ether one of them if they do accept arbitration and get a good size award is still only for one year and you would be able to trade them if you can't manage the budget, it's not like they are four years for little production like Burrell. To get two additional #16 through #45 picks will really stock your farm system and while the pitcher will be tough to replace at any price, you should be able to fill the 1B position with a much cheaper option.

Cleveland has submitted the arbitration numbers and exported. Next year will be better than this past year. But I seem to recall saying that every year in the old BSL. Guess that is how things always go in Cleveland.

Are most owners buying out arby? For example, if I have a very good player who is arby eligible at 3 million, but is asking for a 4 yr FA deal at 4 mil per year...what is the best move? One year or lock them up in FA? Is it possible if you go with arby, that the guy will want 10 mil next year in FA? (then maybe I could not afford him). Hope that makes sense?

Are most owners buying out arby? For example, if I have a very good player who is arby eligible at 3 million, but is asking for a 4 yr FA deal at 4 mil per year...what is the best move? One year or lock them up in FA? Is it possible if you go with arby, that the guy will want 10 mil next year in FA? (then maybe I could not afford him). Hope that makes sense?

Don't take the first offer the player ask for. I had SP Wainwright ask for $10m in for a one year extension, expected arbitration number is $3.6m, I think with his year I offer him $2.5m and that would be a raise! C McCann wanted $8m for one year extension, expected arbitration was $4.6m which I though was high since he had just 12 HRs and a 1.7 WAR in about 110 games, so I offered $3.5m in arbitration and he is considering a package of about $4.5m a year for the four arbitration years. I'll take my chance that $4.5m for his stat potential will be a bargain over arbitration, but if he would beat me for arbitration it just raises the bar for following arbitrtion hearings. I am going to let him walk in free agency though as I'll get compensation more than likely and have a top player in C Soto in AAA, and the #7 pick in last year's draft is C Baker who should be able to provide the same production at $432,000 a year for his first 3 or 4 years.

If everyone goes to their financial page in-game and looks in the middle column, they will see $ for Free Agents. Keep in mind there are two variables on this number. 1: the difference between your payroll and your assigned budget (Proj Budget Room) and 2: Your team's cash on hand. You should ONLY use the Proj Budget Room when looking at how much free agent money you will be spending. Don't burn your cash on hand to sign free agents. Not only do you burn the cash, but it eats into your profit where you start to lose money every sim.

The following teams are projected to need to CUT payroll just to have a positive cash flow. I would recommend that none of them look to many any extension offers, and highly consider withdrawing arbitration offers from expensive players unless they are just vital to your franchise. You will have to cut money somewhere and soon to be under budget (plus being over budget you have next to zero ability to sign free agents!)

Before I list the teams, keep in mind the projected budget is assuming the 4.8 million player development budget all teams are set to by default. You can save the money and set it lower (or to zero) after the first of the year, or you can increase it substanitally if you have cash laying around to burn.

CHW - you will need to dump just a bit of salary to make ends meet. Maybe a non-tender, etc will do it.

DET - same a the White Sox - you are close, but projected just to be over budget.

LAD - substantial. You'll need to cut around 5 million in salary not including any free agent signings.

MIN - whew. If you plan on zeroing player development, you will need to cut around 16 million in salary to become positive cash-flow.

NYM - big time as well - you're looking at 14-15+ million in cuts.

PHI - a few million

PIT - 12 to 13 million needed

SEA - a few million, if that.

Keep in mind the picture will be MUCH clearer for all teams after arbtiration is over and the final figures before free agency are available. These numbers should adjust substantially. If you are on this list, at a good, long look at your pending arbitration eligible players and see if you really, really need them on your team. Sometimes it is better to cut a semi-valuable player loose than to kill your earning power for a whole season.

Cory

Took a long time, but Orioles have offered arbitration and exported.

Thankfully, Mo Rivera did not make his numbers and will become a FA, saving me $10.8m for a disappointing 2007.

Thanks to everyone, but especially Nick, Cory and James for their insight and continued work on this addictive adventure.

Todd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.