BSL Modifications for 2022 Season (FINAL VERSION)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
As of Preseason 2022, these changes will be in effect for the league.

The National Media money received by each team will be increased on average 3,000,000. A bit more money for everyone.

The Draft Pick compensation system will be shut off. There will be no more Type A or Type B tags. Free agents will be truly free to sign with anyone and the team losing them will receive no compensation. There will be no more sandwich round between 1 and 2, so true 2nd round picks will regain their value. THE ONLY CAVEAT to this change is I am not 100% certain how the software will handle the current free agent class. I am about 95% sure that given the signings take place before the change and the draft order is modified at that point, that any players giving compensation would be reflected in next year's draft. However, this a small chance that flipping the switch will deny compensation to the teams losing players this year. I am almost certain this will no occur, but it is possible and unavoidable if so.

Minor League Free Agency will be enabled for the 2022 season and beyond.
"Professional service time and time on a secondary roster affect minor league free agency. On the day the playoffs end, if a minor league player is not currently on the secondary roster, he becomes a free agent if:
Professional Service Time - Time on Secondary Roster >= 6 years

Lastly, a new trading rule:
1. Effective with the 2022 (next year) draft class, a drafted player may NOT be traded for 2 seasons. You may elect to release or waive a player before that point, but if he is an actual draft pick, he will be in your organization at least 2 years (including the drafted season). Age and/or level of organization is irrelevant.

Example: I drafted MR Domingo Machado in 1st round 2021. He plays 2021 season. He must also play the 2022 season in my organization before he is trade eligible.

This is to FORCE teams to rebuild from within. Trading is fun and fine and all, but it is getting a bit out of hand between some people trading just to exist and other teams stripping young rebuilding teams of their true young talent.

ALL TEAMS NEED TO SIGN OFF ON THIS POST

Feel free to comment, add suggestions, criticize. I am not finalizing this entirely yet.

Last edited:
Reds checking in. New rules sound good to me. I tend to hold onto my prospects so I probably won't be affected much with that rule about keeping them for three years. I go back and forth on FA compensation picks. The concept is great, but it's just doesn't seem to be working quite right for some reason so it makes sense to do away with it.

Eric

Reds checking in. New rules sound good to me. I tend to hold onto my prospects so I probably won't be affected much with that rule about keeping them for three years. I go back and forth on FA compensation picks. The concept is great, but it's just doesn't seem to be working quite right for some reason so it makes sense to do away with it.

Eric

My ideal situation would be to keep Type A and kill off Type B but the software is all or nothing.

Blue Jays/Giants have read and agree..

Just another suggestion might be to do away with the "Rule 5" draft, since only a handful of teams actually take the risk/reward of this option... It will save Cory a couple extra steps and time making sure that teams are actually protecting their talented prospects from the draft.. It also goes hand and hand with the holding onto draft picks for 3 seasons. Just a thought!!

Mets n O's read. Just a opinion "again a opinion" but the "virtual league" seems to be losing the realistic that owners can do whatever with the team. A few seasons ago I made a run for playoffs and traded my number 1 to the Tigers for David Price. This move single handedly won me a title. Your league we play under the rules. I would suggest we start the no trade draft class for this upcoming season as I had a deal in place already and planned on having this addition on my team already.

Last edited:
Cards read and understand. I do agree I think trading drafted players should happen next season not this prior years draft but again I'm good with whatever. Should I offer D.Brown a extension or will I still get compensation if he walks?

I'll go along with whatever is best for the league but I don't 100% agree with the changes. I believe that keeping draft picks for longer will force teams to rebuild to a point and may help parity in the league but I also don't like the feeling of being handcuffed with my players on a team that I run. My current team is built from many years of rebuilding through picks and trades--while I don't often trade away high pick prospects it did come in handy in the past when I had a glut of players at certain positions.

Just my thoughts:)

I was tossing this idea around not sure if the system would allow it but here goes

1st round pick must remain on roster for 3 years
2nd round pick must remain on roster for 2 years
3rd round pick must remain on roster for 1 year

4th and beyond can be traded at anytime or waived or released

I'll go along with whatever is best for the league but I don't 100% agree with the changes. I believe that keeping draft picks for longer will force teams to rebuild to a point and may help parity in the league but I also don't like the feeling of being handcuffed with my players on a team that I run. My current team is built from many years of rebuilding through picks and trades--while I don't often trade away high pick prospects it did come in handy in the past when I had a glut of players at certain positions.

Just my thoughts:)

I agree with Matt on the point of being forced to keep draft picks longer. I have traded a few and have ended up with some long term stars and a few turkeys. I do see some guys taking other teams best picks non stop and the teams giving up the picks never seeming to get much better. I have a pretty weak farm system right now because of a couple of trades and bringing up young guys early to replace injured or free agent players. As always I support Cory but I do have a few reservations on that one. The rich teams will still sign the top free agents so that wont change but now the teams who cannot keep them will get no comp. I guess that should lead to more trades of big name free agents in their last contract years. No problem with what ever we do, we all play by the same rules. thanks Pat

I myself am not a big fan of this. But will do whatever. But it seems there are more and more rules all the time, losing the realism of the league. And before everyone pounces on me as a person who takes other teams talent, I really don't. But it seems some tend to feel that way about me, and such. But it does seems to be some imbalance of what goes on, and it really does get old. But you weigh it out of continue or leave.