BSL: New Financial Policy - All Owners Read and Check in please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

There are 3-4 teams that have almost certainly lost their 1st round pick next year. Given the trade deadline has passed, the easiest way to save money (cutting payroll) is no longer an option nor is there enough time to make much difference.

The big deal now is keeping the stands full.

If the season ended today, Minnesota, Philly, Seattle would all forfeit. Philly and Seattle have a chance depending on attendance to get positive before the end of the season (not including revenue sharing expenses if they exist)

Minnesota is certain to lose its 1st next June.

LA Angels are in the danger zone with the bleeding payroll and low cash.

Aside from these four, I don't see any way that other teams can lose their 1st rounder unless they go haywire cutting big contracts.

I stopped trying to be a policeman on this, people knew the consequences, but I'll tell the three in danger to not call up any minor league contract players since even a couple of hundred thousand dollars could make a difference with the latter two.

Angels with a huge homestand against the A's and Rangers hope to draw in some fans

I have 7 million available for free agents and 16 million available for extensions but i'm -13.5 million in the hole

I am wondering am i still going to be in hole at seasons end ?

Angels with a huge homestand against the A's and Rangers hope to draw in some fans

I have 7 million available for free agents and 16 million available for extensions but i'm -13.5 million in the hole

I am wondering am i still going to be in hole at seasons end ?

No, you started the year with $20m in the bank, so the $13m it said you would lose would leave you at $7m assuming the exact same revenue as last year, but you are drawing 6000 fans less a game so it will eat a little more. Yet another reason to not dig a hole with long term contracts because you won't start with the same cushion next year.

Edit: You are going to have to let your free agents go and not participate in the FA market, even with them gone you've committed $91m to salaries and maybe another $2m for minimum salary guys to fill the roster, yet your income stream supports $88m this year and even less next year because you aren't drawing as many fans!

Last edited:
No, you started the year with $20m in the bank, so the $13m it said you would lose would leave you at $7m assuming the exact same revenue as last year, but you are drawing 6000 fans less a game so it will eat a little more. Yet another reason to not dig a hole with long term contracts because you won't start with the same cushion next year.

Edit: You are going to have to let your free agents go and not participate in the FA market, even with them gone you've committed $91m to salaries and maybe another $2m for minimum salary guys to fill the roster, yet your income stream supports $88m this year and even less next year because you aren't drawing as many fans!

My downfall financially is the Burrell and Rolen contracts I traded for Burrell so thats my own fault but at least he's producing Rolen is the problem huge contract that system assigned and he's not producing i can't trade him so i am stuck with him for another 3 years..but Tejada 13.5 million and Oliver Perez 6.9 million are FA so getting rid of there contracts will help

My downfall financially is the Burrell and Rolen contracts I traded for Burrell so thats my own fault but at least he's producing Rolen is the problem huge contract that system assigned and he's not producing i can't trade him so i am stuck with him for another 3 years..but Tejada 13.5 million and Oliver Perez 6.9 million are FA so getting rid of there contracts will help

Even with those contracts coming off the books you still have about $93m in player expenses next year, and you should have a payroll budget that will come in in the high $70m's, so if you can pare salary in the off-season by trading you should try, but you'll probably get a little revenue sharing whith everyone else being flush, and hopefully not a salary cap penalty.

how do you fix this?

i cut payroll drastically, got my team under the cap, made very few moves to spend money at all then had my team flop and lost tons of money. how can you fix this if your players suck in the sim and now i lose a first round pick? aren't we as a league, doing a huge dis-service to that team losing more potentially good players from the draft that could help me get solvent in the next year?

can we not think of another method not to penalize a team who, in good faith, tried their best to get things right? maybe a team like mine, could be counseled by the league offices, like the real mlb teams would do and do, and give me other ways to get solvent? you are going to take away from me the one thing i need to get better; young picks i can develop without spending money on free agents. what really is the purpose of the penalty when it will probably not help my bottom line but hurt it?

i did what i was told and advised by the league offices during the season and last off-season and still, look how bad my bottom line is? i cut like 4 players who had big contracts, traded a bunch others, and really, i don't know how i can do anything else at this point! can someone help me out here? i am getting very discouraged about this whole deal and am contemplating just not participating any more if i can't compete.

one huge thing is nobody ever explained to me until after our initial 2007 draft of players, what was going on with veterans salaries and how much they were to be paid. then, i got hit with these ungodly high salaries on like 6 of my players when i had no clue, never before playing this game, what any salary would be. then, i get rid of the high salaries and cannot be competitive and lose money in 2008 again, because i did not know these things and nobody gave me a hint that pitching is so important.

i thought it would be more realistic like the majors and you would not need a team era under 3.00 to compete. this is totally unrealistic and why are my pitchers giving up over 5-6 runs a game when their stats before 2007 were much better?

anyway, help me out here. i am not having fun knowing i have to play scrubs and won't have pitching for 3-5 years at the rate of development i am at. then, take away my chance to get a solid pitching prospect in the first round and again, i am at another disadvantage. i really wish someone would have been honest with me before i started playing with guys who have been doing this for years like most of the owners. it sucks!

of all owners, i feel i am in the worst possible predicament and had the most to learn and least knowledge going into this game for 2007. i tried to learn it all but just one person giving me a bit of pitching advice and contract advice would have probably gotten me out of any of this money problem i am in now!

just so all owners will understand, i am very involved in my team and prepare very diligently for each sim. i set my own lineups, study stats, check the ratings and progress of all my players, look through waiver and free agents for steals (2 of my top 10 hitting prospects were from free agent minor league signings!) and generally do all i should and even more as an owner. but still, i am $26 million in the red? how does that happen?

plmk thnx!

let me know!

Last edited:
It is as simple as the fact your attendance crashed compared to the previous year. You would have had to run a payroll around 60 million this season to break even. You ran the 9th highest payroll this season in the league...while I commend your cuts and think you did a pretty solid job on getting payroll out, you have to remember that all financials work on a cycle like real life.

Your 2008 attendance: 2.595 mil
Your 2007 attendance: 3.884 mil

1.289 mil less people during the year x ticket price (estimated $25, not sure what you're set at) = 32.25 MILLION DOLLARS!

The biggest positive about your team is you have the largest media revenue by nearly 6 million dollars, and your media revenue is double what at least 6 teams receive. Think of that as ~10 million in free money every year.

Your merchandising was 4th in the league, which is really surprising if you consider how bad your attendance dropped. Getting attendance up will make a huge windfall. You raise attendance by two main things. Winning and Having Popular players on the roster.

I'm looking at your team...just estimating, if you run a 60 million payroll next season, you should be easily solvent for the future seasons. It is a matter of getting caught up while the huge contracts fall off the books!

Does Nathan have a team option? If so, decline it! If he has a player, maybe he will elect free agency. Same with A Cruz's 1.9 mil

You have a LOT of players that are arbitration eligible. I would consider non-tendering a lot of the contracts unless you just absolutely cannot find a replacement in house or think you can find a cheaper free agent.

A good rule of thumb on veteran contract extensions is 3 years. Everyone does it differently, but consider age and future money when offering these extension. It will free up payroll later on.

Last edited:
Hang in there. I think you have a really good chance to fix things in a hurry. You can recover a lot faster than most teams since your Market Size is astronomical and you have extreme fan loyalty. A lot of the small market teams should be very jealous that you have that to work with.

Also, I'd look at your ticket prices, too. They're higher than league average. Might need to drop them a little during down seasons to get more fans in the stands and ultimately more gate revenue. In your good years, you can probably raise them much higher than most teams, but the down years some teams are closer to $20 - $22. It's tough to find the right balance so I tinker with mine every few SIMs just to find the right mix of attendence and gate revenue.

It looks like you were pretty challenged starting the season down $30 million in the hole. Your payroll was $101 million on the year so you would have needed a strong Gate to pull that off. Once attendance drops, you need to have that $20 - $30 million cash built up to handle that kind of scenario. Without that in reserve to start the season, you might have been better off taking an $$70-$80 million payroll to be safe. I think every team should build up cash reserves as a first priority. Until you have $20+ million, it's a risk to go negative in any given season. I know we all want to win and be competitive, but it's more important to stay financially solvent and sometimes it takes a season or two of complete rebuilding.

A couple of those long term contracts are really hurting you - Chipper's was pretty risky signing him 3 years when he was 35 years old and likely to decline. Garland and Marte are 2 star players. Not saying they're terrible, but 5 year deals in the $5-$6 million per year range for these guys is probably pushing it and now it makes it tough to trade them.

I would suggest reevaluating your pitching talent. All of your starters except Chacin are 1-star guys. Check out some of the top staffs around and many of them have 3-4 star guys starting and maybe a 2 star guy in the #5 spot. Don't go by stats in previous years before 2007 - it's best to look at the star ratings and Stuff, Movement, Control ratings to see how they're likely to perform. I'm actually impressed that your starters ERA was as good as it was with all of the 1-star guys in your rotation. I know you don't have the money to immediately sign guys and rebuild it, but once you get solid financially, you can work on it.

You've got some really good building blocks in Chacin, Allen, A. Gonzalez, Gardner, Pena, etc. I could see you turning this around quickly - hang in there. I think you're closer than you think.

Eric - Reds

Last edited:

Trade night

Days
Hours
Mins
Secs
Trade night is on!

Click here to join the fun!

Sponsors

Members online

No members online now.