BSL Update 2019#22: Arbitration done, FA open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjay101

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
Files and Website are uploading now.

Looks like a few teams that offered arb to leaving free agents had them accept the offers. Ouch.
I had an international free agent that I decline a team option on (3rd year) fricking auto-renew (forgot to release him) at 5,x million. Joyous times.

Trades were not processed, I forgot and had everything uploading by then. I will process next sim.

Deadline is Sunday at noon central. Have a good 4th and don't do anything that Heath wouldn't.

Cory

I talked Chris into offering weeks and teagarden and they both took him, I am sure he will let me know about it. hehe

Hey Cory,

Are you going to run a short sim to process trades and let teams protect their rule 5 players??

Kendall

Oakland's biggest shock is Jiang.....he said he was pretty sure he wouldn't change his mind and would sign, but then walked. Was really hoping he would retire an Oakland Athletic, but doesn't look like that will happen now. Oh well, off to spend $90M of my remaining budget on some free agents!!!

On the brighter side, Oakland is glad to see Frank Bowers won his 3rd consecutive AL MVP Award. Barring setbacks, looking like a Hall of Famer, with the three MVP Awards, Rookie of the Year Award, and 3x World Series Rings. Add in 2x AAA AL MVP Awards, and his trophy case is getting full. I like it!

Last edited:
Yankees have exported. Some pretty tasty free agents out there...much better FA pool than years past.

Oakland's biggest shock is Jiang.....he said he was pretty sure he wouldn't change his mind and would sign, but then walked. Was really hoping he would retire an Oakland Athletic, but doesn't look like that will happen now. Oh well, off to spend $90M of my remaining budget on some free agents!!!

On the brighter side, Oakland is glad to see Frank Bowers won his 3rd consecutive AL MVP Award. Barring setbacks, looking like a Hall of Famer, with the three MVP Awards, Rookie of the Year Award, and 3x World Series Rings. Add in 2x AAA AL MVP Awards, and his trophy case is getting full. I like it!

I have no idea how or why Shan took that extension. Someone needs a new agent.

I love that he did. I have found that front loading contacts gets these guys to sign long term on the cheap, and I can better manage my money. Pay one big year up front, and then have lower salaries to better adjust when to pay some other contract that is front loaded, instead of all the back-loaded option years. Might be a better way for some of the financially challenged organizations, as I was when I first took over, and back loaded all the time. Then I got to where I had some expendable cash, and rather than chase big free agents, I front loaded that cash into the contracts for my organizational talent to help keep them around long term. Doesn't always work, but when it does, it is a great tool for getting the financials of my organization under control. Did it with Heighway, Bowers, Martin, Gonzalez, Shan, and several others. Keeps me from being in a situation where there is someone I want in the future, and the game tells me that I cannot do that, as a future season is over budget.

Hope that helps some other teams, especially those that have young talent. Rather than chase all the big money contracts this year in free agency, try to tie up your core guys. But at this point, probably too late for 2020, but something to think about in doing extensions going forward.
I have no idea how or why Shan took that extension. Someone needs a new agent.

Back