Can someone explain either Beckett or PSA autograph authentication?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazyderik

HOF
5.00 star(s)
I dont understand the pricing....they make the chart too complex.
I have 2 5x7 autos I want to send in to be authenticated.
I see single signed $20, then I see authentication fees under $50 grading fee $10.
And then $28 shipping.

Can someone explain what they are saying? Or if there is a better option?
So is the grading for the auto? Is there a fee to encapsulate? They also say if you encapsulate you forfeit the certificate of authenticity unless you pay $10 more. ....so it that then not authenticated and only encapsulated?

Even if they are non pack auto they still have a certain value and I think thats how they make the amount you pay. They are actually controlling how much they make per grading this was way. I call it a scam.

The grading is for the auto and I'm pretty sure you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

The $28 shipping is probably based on what the value of the item is and how much it will cost to send it with insurance,

They put a sticker on the item with a serial # so if you don't want the certificate you don't have to get it. You are basically paying the extra $10 for a piece of paper.

The grading is for the auto and I'm pretty sure you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

The $28 shipping is probably based on what the value of the item is and how much it will cost to send it with insurance,

They put a sticker on the item with a serial # so if you don't want the certificate you don't have to get it. You are basically paying the extra $10 for a piece of paper.

Is there a more cost efficent option?
So Im basically looking for encapsulation and auto verification for 2 5x7 cards

Honestly, I've never got anything authenticated before so not really sure about better options.

So I just went to Beckett and looked at the chart you are talking about.

First who is the player the autograph is of? Depending on the player the base cost is between $20-$150

Grading is optional so you don't have to worry about that.

Encapsulation for items 5x7 or larger is an extra $10 and if you want the COA it's another $10.

There are different options for shipping. If you did the lowest cost option of Ground Service it would be $24 plus insurance. If the declared value is $1000 or less they charge $12 for insurance. So your total shipping cost would be $36.

You can also check out JSA as another option and maybe TriStar(I'm not sure if they do authentication or not) but I'm sure they are both in the same price range as Beckett and PSA.

You're probably looking at around $75-$100 per item no matter what service you use.

Honestly, I've never got anything authenticated before so not really sure about better options.

So I just went to Beckett and looked at the chart you are talking about.

First who is the player the autograph is of? Depending on the player the base cost is between $20-$150

Grading is optional so you don't have to worry about that.

Encapsulation for items 5x7 or larger is an extra $10 and if you want the COA it's another $10.

There are different options for shipping. If you did the lowest cost option of Ground Service it would be $24 plus insurance. If the declared value is $1000 or less they charge $12 for insurance. So your total shipping cost would be $36.

You can also check out JSA as another option and maybe TriStar(I'm not sure if they do authentication or not) but I'm sure they are both in the same price range as Beckett and PSA.

You're probably looking at around $75-$100 per item no matter what service you use.
Willie Mays. I dont know if I am willing to pay $75-100.... I dont plan on parting with them. So maybe Ill just put the money into a nice frame/case

Yeah, Willie Mays costs $30
I didnt see the list of player prices.....so to be clear here is what I am looking at?

So 2x 5X7 encapsulations @$10= $20
2x Willie Mays authentication @$30= $60
Shipping $24 + insurance $12 = $36

Total $116

I guess it dosnt seem out of the range I would go.

I didnt see the list of player prices.....so to be clear here is what I am looking at?

So 2x 5X7 encapsulations @$10= $20
2x Willie Mays authentication @$30= $60
Shipping $24 + insurance $12 = $36

Total $116

I guess it dosnt seem out of the range I would go.
Yeah, you have to type in the name of the player. Yep, that looks correct. By sending in multiples it helps you save on shipping. I think you can send in up to 10 things at once for that shipping price as long as the overall value is less than $1000.

Beckett and PSA do on the spot authentication here a few times a year. If you are getting stuff that doesnt need a letter(big names require letters and those are more expensive), just the sticker on the item with a matching card is $15. If you send stuff off to encapsulate that is standard card size its about the same, oversize items are more expensive but I love the look and protection it provides.

Beckett and PSA do on the spot authentication here a few times a year. If you are getting stuff that doesnt need a letter(big names require letters and those are more expensive), just the sticker on the item with a matching card is $15. If you send stuff off to encapsulate that is standard card size its about the same, oversize items are more expensive but I love the look and protection it provides.
@89Giants has a great idea @crazyderik , oftentimes you can bring your items to an autograph and memorabilia show, if there is one in your area, and they will authenticate right there. It at least saves you on shipping (which I think is outrageously expensive), and you can get your items done and back right then and there.

I have bought a few Mickey Mantle graded cards that are encased, and they do look nice, and it is cool to see the grade. Other than that, I have never sent anything in, though a few traders have sent a few of my customs in for authentication only, which is cool (all my items passed, by the way!!)

My friend gets everything authenticated, and complains frequently about how he thinks they should have gone higher, they are better than a 7.5! That is the one risk you run, something coming back lower than you think it should. I liked your idea of spending the money on a frame/display.

God bless,

Kevin