Changes along the way.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tankp

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
When I was a younger I went to card shows and back then the rave was collecting error cards and promos or prototypes. Today it is not on anyones list of cards to collect. In my small brain I always thought it was the more difficult cards to find carried the most value. Today that is not always the case. When did that change and why? In my opinion it is not for the better of the collectors.
Thanks.

Same goes with parallels, now they just make too much of it that it isn't special anymore. As a collector since 1971 I still find it hard to fathom that people would collect just one player or small group of players, the more advanced collectors from my era built sets.

It changed in the 1990's inserts serial, auto and gu came into play....1993 was the year for the first refractor cards (1993 finest) and chrome sets! You'll find that many of the great looking inserts in the 1990's are holding there value! Donruss Crusades red, purple, green....from 1998....1998 the man inserts....base inserts number to 500 and refractors serial to only 75! The Big Bang cards refractor cards of the 1996 and 1998. Best regards, David

It pretty much changed over time through the '90's. Game used and autos were introduced and became the more desired cards. There's also the overprinting of cards. And they even intentionally make error cards now, can you believe that?

It's financially impossible to collect it all these days. Many people focused on a favorite player or team, perhaps because of the interest level, perhaps due to financial constraints. Time became a huge factor and still is in a way. You can spend hours on the different sites scanning lists for players or cards you need. Inventory changes daily on many of these sites and if you snooze, you lose. After a while, you focus your searches to what you really want.

The error/promo/prototype craze started right about when the insert/parallel craze did for the most part. 1989 UD and their Joyner variations and the Dale Murphy reverse negative. Heck, you could even go back to include the early Fleer/Donruss errors and such. Remember 1981 Fleer Craig Nettles! We can't forget Bill Ripken either. Topps was making errors early on as well. Those are still collected, but not in the way they once were. Supply caught up with demand in many cases. The real tough errors are still in demand and priced accordingly. I have no interest in a 1982 Fleer John Littlefield reverse negative card, but I'm sure many still are and the prices reflect this.

Many of the promos were issued in much larger quantities that you'd expect for a promo, hence the low value of those.

As much as it pains many collectors who overpaid for things when they were hot, the market will settle in the end the real value and interest will shine through! 93 Refractors for example are still popular, even though they took major hits from their peak values, but they will never be a cheap as other inserts/parallels of their time.

Thanks a million guys this was real cool. I am still perplexed on how and why demands change so drastically. Old rules mean nothing then is what this mean. Who is to say this has made it better then before. You go looking for a card it is like walking a maze impossible at times to find. Oh well in`the name ob progress.

Yeah, the planned "errors" Topps have been cranking out are turning me off. Those upside down 2008 Topps Update variations are really stupid in my opinion. It's funny how it only "happened" with the three top rookies in that set. Now Jeter with the Red Sox and Pedroia with the Yankees in 2009 Topps Heritage High Numbers, plus the Giuliani in the 2008 Topps Red Sox World Series celebration card are just ludicrous.