Coming Soon: A New Look

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike121

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
In part 2 of the Coming Soon series we're going to take a look at what to expect the site to look like, and a few new things to look forward to, after the upgrade.

Clicking on the following images will open them up to a larger size.

Obviously we can't upgrade to a new software and expect everything to look, and work, exactly the same as it did before. Let's first look at the forum home so you can get an idea of what the overall site will look like.

new-bench-screenshot-thumb.jpg

One big change that I'm sure a lot of you traders will appreciate will be the ability to upload images directly to your posts, as attachments. There will be some limitations here, to help conserve disk space, but we'll do our best to allow almost anything.

new-bench-post-thread-thumb.jpg

If you post a link to a YouTube video (I'm talking to you, Group Breakers), that video will automatically be embeded directly into your post. No more opening a new tab and loading an entirely new page...or, if you're like me, getting completely distracted and spending hours on YouTube forgetting what you originally came there for.

This also works for tweets from Twitter, videos from Facebook (that aren't private), Flickr, and many other sites.

new-bench-embed-thumb.jpg

Also, after the update, we'll now have member cards, which displays a lot of useful information about members. These can be seen by hovering over (or clicking on mobile) on a member's username or avatar just about anywhere on the site.

new-bench-member-card-thumb.jpg

Finally, for those of you who mostly browse on mobile devices, you can put your Tapatalk away! The new site will be fully responsive, meaning it looks just as good on a mobile device as it does on a desktop. Things will look a little different on mobile, obviously, but everything will still work the same.

So that's it for today's Coming Soon. As always, if you have any questions or comments, let's hear 'em!

Mike - I'm usually the guy who dislikes change, but I'm excited about what you're doing with The Bench!

Appreciate you!

Thanks
Craig

The ability to upload photos directly, rather than through 3rd party, is a HUGE improvement. Very excited for that one to come to fruition - may inspire me to start sending out TTM again!

Should also eliminate 50 threads a year asking how to post pictures!!

Mike, this looks AWESOME! Thank you so much for all your work, I am especially excited to be able to insert photos directly into the threads, that is going to be so nice, and make life MUCH easier!

I am so thankful that you are our new owner, this is the best site on the internet, and the new look is just going to take it to the next level!

Thanks again and God bless,

Kevin

Not looking forward to the changes like everyone else! Too many problems so far and lots of things missing.....like our history Thread which went up in smoke. But most members don't need it....cause they never won a TOTM (or know what this means) or set records. Or remember former members who passed away....Best regards, David

Too many problems so far and lots of things missing.....like our history Thread which went up in smoke.

First, I have no idea what history thread you're talking about. No threads were deleted. Second, this is the first I've heard of it. If you could be more specific about what it is that's missing I'll look for it, and I'll figure out how to get it back, just like I've tried to do with every other thing that members have brought to my attention.

But most members don't need it....cause they never won a TOTM (or know what this means) or set records.
This kind of comment is unnecessary, and most definitely not needed. These kinds of things are probably things you could keep to yourself. ;)

Why other members said similar statements and I bite my tongue! The thread was the one with all of the history....such as TOTM numbers.......Top 10 Traders with the highest Traders/sell/buy in month one. I have to get up early for trash day. Best regards, David

The thread was the one with all of the history....such as TOTM numbers.......Top 10 Traders with the highest Traders/sell/buy in month one.
Are you talking about these threads: https://thebenchtrading.com/forums/trader-of-the-month.22/

As I remember, that's the only forum with threads specifically related to ToTM. If this isn't what you're talking about, do you remember what the thread was called, or what forum it was in?

Not looking forward to the changes like everyone else! Too many problems so far and lots of things missing.....like our history Thread which went up in smoke. But most members don't need it....cause they never won a TOTM (or know what this means) or set records. Or remember former members who passed away....Best regards, David
If you do not like trading here anymore then don't. Mike has done everything in his power to save this site. Nobody forces you to get on this trading site. Mike is a more active owner than the last owner was by far. All this negativity is getting us nowhere. If you have something that you thinks needs to be changed then try and be constructive about it. But to keep bashing the owner of this site and the changes that have been made and continue to be made is getting old. He seems to have a lot more patience than I would. Maybe people on here should start their own trading site and see how easy it is.

Wow, it been awhile.. hook up the bench and saw the new look ...NICE .. I'll be back ..said some one before..HMMM
Thanks we do ALL Appreciate you, and your Time.

Mike when I do a cut and paste into a reply or thread posting I get a large font and bold print.
Is there any way I can change something in my preferences or is it something you need to do.
I know I can change the font site on what I post or reply but it is always a bold format. And I have to
change the font size in every reply.

Rich

Mike when I do a cut and paste into a reply or thread posting I get a large font and bold print.
Is there any way I can change something in my preferences or is it something you need to do.
I know I can change the font site on what I post or reply but it is always a bold format. And I have to
change the font size in every reply.

Rich
The editor is designed to format the text you copy/paste as close as it can to what was copied.

If you don't want to paste the formatting, use "paste as plain text". That option should be available on windows desktop and mobile devices.

If you're using the desktop shortcut key CTRL+V to paste, you can instead try using SHIFT+CTRL+V. That's the keyboard shortcut for paste as plain text.

I am getting used to the new site and I'm getting to like many of the changes. Apologies if this has already been addressed. One thing that I can't figure out, which seems basic as a function is being able to respond to a thread without scrolling all the way to the bottom to post something. Previously, we just had to click a tab at the top to allow us to post. Isn't there a better way to respond?

I am getting used to the new site and I'm getting to like many of the changes. Apologies if this has already been addressed. One thing that I can't figure out, which seems basic as a function is being able to respond to a thread without scrolling all the way to the bottom to post something. Previously, we just had to click a tab at the top to allow us to post. Isn't there a better way to respond?

I'd actually forgot that was even an option with the old software. Unfortunately, that's not a feature this software has right now.

For now you might try clicking the "Jump to new" button. That should, in most cases, scroll you to the editor.

I'd actually forgot that was even an option with the old software. Unfortunately, that's not a feature this software has right now.

For now you might try clicking the "Jump to new" button. That should, in most cases, scroll you to the editor.
I tried that and it doesn't.... in fact, having clicked on "Jump to new" I don't understand it's function, it seems to randomly deliver you somewhere down the middle of a thread...