Completing sets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mm1sub

HOF
5.00 star(s)
Staff member
I was at the local card shop this weekend looking for some vintage stuff. I found some really nice 1971 Topps but I asked the owner if I am living in a fantasy world by thinking that I will complete some of these sets. I have been working on the 1960 set for a few years now but it is getting harder and harder to find descent condition stuff. I went to a show this weekend and found one card. And the 1972 Topps high #'s are brutal. And don't even get me started about 1971 Topps with those stupid black borders. I have just been in a rut lately trying to find some of this stuff without having to pay an enormous sum. Just wanted to vent a little and maybe see if anybody else is having any of the problems I sem to be having lately.

Thanks again.

Bryon

With vintage, I just try to complete the set, I don't really care much about the condition as long as there aren't any creases. If you aren't that picky about the condition they are a LOT easier to complete. Granted I haven't attempted a high series set yet so I am not sure how easy some of those are to come by

I completed the 1974 set with all the variations. I just need the Schmidt rookie for the 1973 set and I am down to 5 cards for the 1975 set but one is the Yount rookie so I think I am doing okay but the 1972 set is tough I think because there are so many cards in the set. 787 cards is a lot for that year.

You hit it on the nose...you will need to spend some cash to complete the older sets with their high $$ stars/rookies and tougher SPs. Without the cash, the search will be long and tedious.

I have never been much of a set building even when I was younger (I made a 78 Topps set the first year I bought packs and never made another set after that again), but I would never consider building another set again unless I started buying packs and could complete one relatively easily that way.

My reasoning is in the end, what good is the whole set anyway, at least to me personally? I don't necessarily care if I have every card, especially considering those SP hi number sets where you have to spend $5-20 for some common who played a handful games in their career. I don't need that Jerry Dybzinski type card to feel whole.

I'll stick with stars and maybe team sets (Dodgers) and let the set builders have their fun. Interestingly, that is how some of the older cards became scarce, by being unpopular, but these days it's hard to imagine anything they are printing becoming scare with sleeves, toploaders, binders, price guides, etc.

Yes the high numbers are expensive.

I am a set collector and I want the Jerry Dybzinski card that Mr Mopar could care less about. I am not a player collector, but I do collect team memorabilia, which I find interesting. Then again, I remember watching Jerry Dybzinski play baseball when he was with the Sox.

I have been picking up high numbers whenever I see them, even if I already have it. I can use the extras as trade bait or sell them.

I still need about 95 1972s and they are all numbered over 500. I have found the 1970 set much easier to find. When I put together my 1965 set, I started by picking up the more expensive cards first.

I also remeber the Dyber when he played for the Tribe in the early 80's. I just have always been a set collector and I guess I am just stuck in my ways. I just get a little frustrated from time to time but then I will go to a show and find a bunch of nice stuff and all will be well in the universe again. I can aslo say that TheBench has helped out tremendously and hopefully will continue to do so.

I am a set collector and I would like all the cards from the vintage sets to be in pristine condition, but I know that isn't realistic. I try to get the commons and lesser stars as close to excellent as possible, the only cards I hold out for better condition are the true stars/rookies for each of the years.

It might be easier to just grab every card as a find it, regardless of condition, but than I wouldn't be happy with the resulting set. Just my 2 cents!

Your best bet would be to save up some cash and try to get to one of The Nationals. I've gone to the last 3 here in Cleveland and there is a ton of vintage, graded and non-graded.

When I built my vintage sets I first wanted to get every card to finish the set. Next was to spend a lot of time upgrading the ones in poorer condition. At least I had the completed set in my collection and half of my fantasy came true.

Your best bet would be to save up some cash and try to get to one of The Nationals. I've gone to the last 3 here in Cleveland and there is a ton of vintage, graded and non-graded.

I went to The national in Chicago and picked up a bunch of really nice 1960 Topps.Where is the next one? I think it is in Baltimore but I am not sure.

I don't need that Jerry Dybzinski type card to feel whole.

Jerry Dybzinski? :D :D :D He was my Wahoo shortstop growing up and was a local boy, too!

Anyone have the elusive 1985 Hawaii Islanders Cramer #250 Jerry Dybzinski to complete my player collection?!

Bonus points to you for a nice name pull!

Last edited:
Haha!

I figured no matter what "common" name I mentioned, someone would collect, remember or like that player! My old standard was Bob Apodaca of the Mets, as his 1978 Topps card called out to me as a kid. Dybzinski just has that ring to it though. Maybe I will back up my scrub name to the 50s, where there is a lesser chance of instant recognition, like a Reno Bertoia or Cuno Barragan.

Jerry Dybzinski? :D :D :D He was my Wahoo shortstop growing up and was a local boy, too!

Anyone have the elusive 1985 Hawaii Islanders Cramer #250 Jerry Dybzinski to complete my player collection?!

Bonus points to you for a nice name pull!

Haha!

I figured no matter what "common" name I mentioned, someone would collect, remember or like that player! My old standard was Bob Apodaca of the Mets, as his 1978 Topps card called out to me as a kid. Dybzinski just has that ring to it though. Maybe I will back up my scrub name to the 50s, where there is a lesser chance of instant recognition, like a Reno Bertoia or Cuno Barragan.

You can always use Barbaro Garbey or Razor Shines!

Back in the early 80's we built several vintage sets between 55 and 70.
Yes there were alot more of those cards(high & low)available back then.
I also picked up alot of the other years but will never complete them.I've
often thought about trying to find other builders(in the same boat)and
maybe teaming up to complete at least one.
That said,trying to build a vintage set in EX or better these days will
be very tuff and expensive.Don't be afraid to lower your standard.You
can put a very nice vintage set in VG condition.You'll have a much better
chance of having a decent looking and complete set.
Just my opinion,
Ken

Interesting thread.

Is anybody setting up a meet and greet for the national for benchies ? I'd be interested in getting together but I don't have the time or inclination to set it up and I'd only be looking to sell but it seems like it would be a great opportunity for anyone attending to bring their dupes and want lists and do some 1 on 1 trading. Especially since vintage is all about condition.

Interesting thread.

Is anybody setting up a meet and greet for the national for benchies ? I'd be interested in getting together but I don't have the time or inclination to set it up and I'd only be looking to sell but it seems like it would be a great opportunity for anyone attending to bring their dupes and want lists and do some 1 on 1 trading. Especially since vintage is all about condition.

I have always wanted to attend one of these "trade nights" I have heard about but have never actually seen. Does anybody ever go to one? And are there any in the New england area?

Being mainly a vintage collector,I have given up on trying to piece sets together and decided to just buy complete sets now when I find a good deal out there.Like stated earlier some things are getting harder to find and actually in the long run I think it is way cheaper to buy a set than to "build one" that you will be happy with..I also agree with the theory of getting it done with what you can and then upgrade later.