Damaged Cards from Sealed Case Question - UD Inquiry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaddie84

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Hi All. I recently had a case of 07 Exquisite rookies busted and pulled a couple very nice cards:

Ryan Braun Gold Quad-Jersey Auto RC /99
Tim Lincecum Rookie Heroes Auto /25

While these were the nicest cards out of the case, they were also the most damaged straight out of a sealed case. It was recommended to me to inquire with Upper deck about the damage, so I did.

Here's my email to Upper Deck:

Hi,

Normally I am not too picky about slight pack wear on cards. Unfortunately I ran into pulling damaged product straight out of the pack on the two best hits in my case of cards. I am interested in having these two cards repaired.

07 Exquisite Rookies Rookie Heroes Signature Tim Lincecum 02/25 (corner)
07 Exquisite Rookies Rookie Quad Jersey Auto Gold Ryan Braun 09/99 (inside of left-most jersey)

This case opening was filmed and can be found on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=6YnUUe2qBTo&v=z1sU_vJQY3M - fast forward to 3:20 and 4:17 of the break to see the cards in question.

I have been collecting and opening cards my whole life and this is the first case where I felt it was necessary to contact Upper Deck. My first concern is that I receive the same cards in replacement, and NOT a different, yet similar card.

Thanks,
-Chad Braaten

This is UD's Reply:

Hello Chad,

Due to the age of the product we would not have those same exact cards for replacement. However, we would be able to send product out to you that would compensate for damage. Both those cards even with damage are still highly valuable. I wouldn't want you to waste money on mailing them in, so please give me an estimate of how much value was lost with damage. Also include 5 players/teams you collect so we can better assist you. Talk to you soon.

[Contact Info Here]

Here's the photos of the cards in question. I know that the Lincecum and Braun (if they were in mint condition) would sell for about $100 and $80, respectively.

BraunExquisiteRCGold.jpg
LincecumExquisite.jpg

What do you the value-drop is based on the damage? Have any of you worked with UD in similar situations?
Thanks for the help!
-Chad

Last edited:
I would tell them exactly what the value you want for them is and provide links to possible previous ones that sold to compare, even if it isn't the same exact card. Then when you list 5, either list 5 of your favorite or 5 of the highest selling players like Adrian Peterson etc :p

That's a pretty good reply from them. They're accepting responsibility and willing to make you whole, but also making sure you understand that it wasn't a total loss.

I second what TJ said. Be VERY specific about what the loss was, why you think that, and what you want. Things like "Linecum is my favorite player" (lol) are not good arguements. Be reasonable and it sounds like they'll take care of you.

I have had several issues with UD cards being damages and have never gotten a response like that. Congrats on that. Hopefully they follow through.

Take care,
Dewayne

Hey Guys.

Thanks for the feedback. Here's my reply to UD.

Hi Morgan,

Thanks for the reply. I personally open cards to collect and trade...not sell, but to get an idea of value, the Braun Gold-Version Quad Jersey RC Auto sells for around $80 and the Lincecum SP Auto sells for close to $100. Please refer to the links below:

Same Braun Card: http://cgi.ebay.com/07-UD-EXQUISITE...ZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item439d524411

Similar Lincecum Card:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TIM-LINCECUM-20...ZViewItemQQptZUS_Baseball?hash=item20af81be26

As you can see the cards have crisp corners and are free of damage, which I'm sure factors into their higher sale values.

For me, I like to have mint-looking cards in my collection, so I will likely be trading these off in the future, but the damage will definitely reduce the trade value (or sale value) by a significant amount as there are many others like myself who would have no interest in owning cards showing such wear.

I'm just guessing here, but I think the clearly visible damage would make the cards sell for roughly 2/3 of the original value.

I personally would be interested in current Twins and Vikings stars, which are the teams I collect. More specifically, I would be most interested in Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau, Harmon Killebrew, Percy Harvin and Adrian Peterson.

Thanks again and I appreciate UD making the effort to compensate for the damaged cards. It will greatly factor in my future case and/or box buying decisions in the future!

-Chad Braaten

I'll keep you posted how it turns out!

-Chad

Wow....UD has been a bit tricky to work with. I'm still hanging on to hope that they will do SOMETHING :p. 4 Months of back-and-forth...but I may actually receive what was initially promised by UD.

After sending a couple follow-up emails (pretty much on a 2-3 week frequency). I finally went back to the drawing board and sent an email back to the main [email protected] email and received a reply from a different UD employee a few days later.

Apparently the first employee I spoke with is "no longer with the company" and my info was never passed along.

Here is the reply from early April:

Hello Chad,

In regards to your case number I am looking into what we can possibly get out to you to assist you in this situation. Unfortunately because the cards are past Upper Deck's replacement period policy, which is one year from the product release date we will not be able to replace the cards for you at equal value but will assist you in sending something out to you.

Sincerely, Customer Service

James

I replied with basically the same reply I had for Morgan.

After some weeks with no reply I sent a follow-up email and recieved this in reply near mid-May.

Hello Chad,

In regards to your case number, I am waiting for an update from my manager. It is taking longer than usual because of the amount of replacements we are fufilling. I will try and have an update by the end of the week. Thank you for your patience in regards to this matter.

James

Now it's just a waiting game....I send another follow-up approximately 2 weeks later...and on the 9th of JUNE. I receive this reply.

Hello Chad,

In regards to your case number a package will go out this week to you.

James

Now I'm pretty excited, but did they even have my address? I'm quite certain they never received it directly from me during the process, so I immediately reply with one.

It's now the 18th of June. Any guesses on if/when I receive a package?

-Chad

wow just want to say congrats on the reply from UD. I have only busted three hobby boxes ever, my last was a disappointment. a sealed box of 08heroes yielded a badly creased randy johnson patch /5.
I got a big refusual and denial letter from UD saying that the product was too old for them to do anything about. Thus I'm not buying any more UD product...

wow just want to say congrats on the reply from UD. I have only busted three hobby boxes ever, my last was a disappointment. a sealed box of 08heroes yielded a badly creased randy johnson patch /5.
I got a big refusual and denial letter from UD saying that the product was too old for them to do anything about. Thus I'm not buying any more UD product...

I'm kind of on the fence too. If they make good, I have no problem buying more UD product in the future. I'm normally not one to nitpick. Over the years, I've had missing hits and damaged product out of sealed boxes/cases before, but I've only said "boo" in 2 or 3 situations, usually involving the higher-end stuff. At this point, UD is out of the MLB market and all their product is now in the hands of large suppliers and dealers, not UD themselves...to be honest, I wonder if there's any benefit to them supporting this older Baseball product other than to make good and no "irk" honest customers from buying their new product for the other sports/games they offer. This is why I wouldn't be surprised either way.

My only other inquiry was with Topps over a mangled GU card out of this year's Chicle and a missing hit out of a 2010 Topps Jumbo. I mailed out the box UPC, receipt, damaged card and a brief letter. Within two weeks, I had a repaired card and replacement "hit". SIMPLE.

Also, just a note up to anyone who is working with Topps on replacements/repairs - they now require not only the receipt and box UPC, but all empty packs. I received this notification as a heads-up along with the replacement cards.

-Chad

Update: UD pulled through...kind of. No Vikings or Twins, but a small pile of 4 lower BV GUs and/or Autos. Better than nothing :).

Brandon Phillips Goudy Auto
Marino Salas SPA Auto /999
Pablo Sandoval Sweet Spot Auto /550
Pujols/Vlad Ballpark Dual Jsy

Last edited:
Its better than nothing....but they still should have given you one major hit (lincecum auto/Pujols auto/Griffey Jr) if they intended to try to keep you happy and buying their products. Best regards, David

Its better than nothing....but they still should have given you one major hit (lincecum auto/Pujols auto/Griffey Jr) if they intended to try to keep you happy and buying their products. Best regards, David

Yes. I kind of had my hopes up for something "big", but it was nice to get something.

I tell you Upper Deck is a grat company hope they don't loss here ability to sell baseball cards. They are a nice company to work with I see.
Cool