Dedication or Selfishness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
There are plenty of player collectors out there who battle for cards of their favorite players every day. Endlessly searching sites, trade lists, photo galleries, etc in hopes of adding another item from the wantlist. However, there are plenty of collectors who don't stop there. Maybe they want doubles, triples, a 9 pocket page of each card...maybe they want ALL of a particular issue or at least as many as they can get!

I can't afford to buy every item out there, so I long ago decided that cards numbered to 25 copies were a 2nd tier priority and those numbered to 10 copies or less were top tier. All other issues will be a single copy or maybe a dupe or two if the price is right. I have tried to win or buy every copy of a card numbered to 25 of less for a few years now, but often back off if the price gets steep enough. As long as I have 1, I am happy but not satisfied.

However, sometimes I get a little crazy if the run is less than 10. I am so close to getting all of the copies on a number of different issues. 3 of 5 copies, 5 of 7 copies, 5 of 6 copies! Somehow perfection always eluded me though until last year when I was able to win both 1/2 and 2/2 of an autograph issue. I had ALL of that issue and it wasn't a 1/1! Finally I had them all! However, that is the closest I had come to completion of a "set" like that...2 cards!

Well this week brought my personal best to 3! I won copy 1/3 of a card, where I already owned 2/3 & 3/3. Not groundbreaking and still a tough feat, but it is not 5, 6, 7 or 10 copies either. I continue working on it though. Someday perhaps...

I'll share my accomplishment when #1/3 arrives hopefully early next week.

My first instinct would be to side towards selfishness, but it really depends on the type of collector you are. If you aren't satisfied with a single copy, then it turns into dedication (and, as you said, a little crazy :) ). I can sort of relate- as an IP autograph collector, I would love to get every card of a player signed, but I am happy with a single autograph and usually ecstatic when I can get two or more different cards of the same player. However, there are a few guys who appear very unhappy with a single auto. These aren't exactly star players either- the Kevin Millar's and Mark Bellhorn's of the AAA world- and yet, these guys can be flat out disappointed with only getting a single autograph. That's it for my rant..
Mason

People who are not player collector's most likely will not understand this:)

When I got to the point in my Choi collection that the only cards left were really tough ones, and those only surface a few times a year, I started to gather up any extras I could of him as long as the card was #'d. Since I have no competition and his cards I cheap I decided to see how far I could get on his total #'d card print run. So far I'm close on a few entire runs but nothing finished yet, highest one would be only print run of 5 though.

You guys are in a different league than me. But I've read your posts before (and that guy who collects Mark Brunell) and thought if i was trying to collect any of those guys you'd make me want to give up! :eek:

I think the most fun I've had collecting throughout 10 years has been player collecting though. I live in Arkansas so I don't have a boyhood team or player really.. Never really paid attention at the Traveller games but some good players go through there. I picked Andruw Jones because someone said I caught like him in softball (kind of non-chalantly but not like I was real good) .. He grew on me from there once I started getting his stuff.

I originally picked Andruw, Chipper, Vlad, and Alfonso Soriano. For no real good reason other than they caught my eye back in 2000.

After about a year I realized I needed to scale back. Went to Andruw, Chipper (and added Pavel Bure and Federov for a while :rolleyes: )

Nowadays I have a hard time with Andruw.. White sox? I would have kept collecting if he'd of went to the Cubs or maybe even stayed with the Dodgers.

I can't believe I am saying this about one of the most respected people on this site but I really leaning toward selfishness. I have to feel sorry for the other collectors who are trying to get cards of the player they collect and someone swoops in a gets every singel card that comes along. We all know that collecting has evolved since most of us first started. These low print runs and nearly impossible odds of actually getting a card you want from a pack make collecting very different from the collecting we did as youths. I am kind of curious as to whether you would be willing to trade one of the low print run dupes you have to another Garvey collector who had been trying to obtain that card. Are you in contact with any other garvey collectors? Do they have an opinion one way or the other?

I am sorry if I offended you in any way MrMopar. Please do not take this the wrong way because after re-reading it it seems a little harsh to me.

Thanks.

Bryon

Nice! I'm looking for a few cards I like a lot and am trying to get every copy if I can. It's been a fun wrinkle on my player collections.

I've only made the attempt on a run with a single Dave Winfield card. It's #/50 and I've got three. Seems once I picked up the 3rd card, I never saw another one in the following year.

I have picked up every one of the 2009 UD 20th Anniversary 1989 Buyback cards of Hensley Meulens I've seen hit the market..have 5 so far.

Last edited:
That's still a great accomplishment. I have often thought of seeking out a card I absolutely love and seeing if I could get as many copies as possible of it. I think if you are an avid player collector you should get whatever you possibly can. It's part of the game. I don't blame you at all.

I had a "set" of cards /3 and broke it up... kind of wishing now that I hadn't... I sold one to a hobby buddy but another one to just a dude that I believe ended up scamming other people and sort of disappearing. I did use the money to buy two other 1/1s I needed though, which was my justification at the time.

Haha, no offense taken. I used myself as an example, but it was directed to everyone that does it too. I am not the only one trying to corner the market on any given single.

I will say though that any collector had an equal chance to win any of the cards I have won, with a few exceptions where they were offered directly to me. I am by no means "rich" but I am doing pretty good, still I will always have limits. One disappointing moment came when someone had a bat barrel Garvey card numbered to 2 copies. I already had the other copy, but the seller wanted too much. Someone else ended up with it, so I can be defeated. Another tough loss was the quad bat barrel Epic card that has Dawson, Oliver and Biggio. That topped out at nearly a grand...too rich for my blood. Lastly, I have yet to win any of the Sterling jersey letter 1/1 cards from 2007. They all go for $200 or more, which I felt was too much for what you are getting. I may be willing to spend more than most, in most occasions, but not always. Now if I were Bill Gates and had a desire to collect Garvey, then you could call it goodnight for everyone else.

I have worked with a few other Garvey collectors, but in the end mostly they either disappeared from the radar or we were not able to strike deals. There are several cards out there in the hands of my rivals I would still love to get! With ebay's new hidden bidder system, it's possible to see the winning bidder if you also bid, but it's easier to buy in anonymity. I suspect some may know it's me, others may not or even care. I know I track winners of items I lose as best I can. I still wish I could see the other bidders though.

I can't believe I am saying this about one of the most respected people on this site but I really leaning toward selfishness. I have to feel sorry for the other collectors who are trying to get cards of the player they collect and someone swoops in a gets every singel card that comes along. We all know that collecting has evolved since most of us first started. These low print runs and nearly impossible odds of actually getting a card you want from a pack make collecting very different from the collecting we did as youths. I am kind of curious as to whether you would be willing to trade one of the low print run dupes you have to another Garvey collector who had been trying to obtain that card. Are you in contact with any other garvey collectors? Do they have an opinion one way or the other?

I am sorry if I offended you in any way MrMopar. Please do not take this the wrong way because after re-reading it it seems a little harsh to me.

Thanks.

Bryon

I think it very well depends on what you're going after. For example, Jerry Rice has so many people chasing stuff I stopped buying on e-bay a few years ago. I can't run with the big dogs on there...just too many collectors chasing the one player. The only time I'll get involved is if a nice autograph comes up and it looks like I'll have a chance.

As such, I actually despise getting a big lot of Rice in, and while sorting through, realizing a few of the key inserts I landed I already had. I have a good system or organization going on, but it's always inevitable that the cards I just got the other day cross with the list I'm looking at today. I made it a point long ago not to add cards as 'owned' until they are in hand. I keep a 'queue' and catalog them about every two weeks (actually just got done logging another 50).

I'd rather not pick up two, twenty of the same card if I can land 5 unique issues for the same.

I see the point you have with the lower numbered stuff, but quite frankly that's impossible with most player collectors unless you are - as you mentioned - Bill Gates.

Cory

i get anything and everything i can get that is #'d for my Bradshaw collection...I have large chunks of print runs and like the Mayo cloth stuff #'d to 5 I have 3 of them...if I find the other 2 I will buy them.

for me I do this because I'm down to needing only a few cards to have the entire run of Bradshaw cards that are not 1/1's and if i didn't chase the #'d stuff I'd not be buying much...I know I am not going to get every card out there, but I like to have a good chunk of a print run...it's just something I enjoy so that's what I do...if that is selfish then so be it...that's all I really collect other than HOF stuff for my boys collection...I dont see anything wrong with it, I get outbid on stuff every now and then and it doesn't bother me at all...usually if I don't bid on something it doesn't go for very much...I pretty much know my personal value on things and if someone else wants to pay that or more for it, they can have it if I don't need it...no big deal.

Collect as you wish. If I could own an entire run of something from Bill Hall, I'd definitely do it. It makes your personal player collection that much more unique.

GO GET 'EM CURT........GET THEM ALL!!!:)

Tim

More dedication now days.....Use to be selfishness.....wanted everyone of the 1996 Big Bang refractors....had 16 complete sets and fought for everyone that came up on eBay! A few years ago...was working on my 2003 timeless treasures gold set!! 100 players and only 10 of each card were made. This Beckett member had 7 of the 10 Roger Clemens gold cards.....Made a fair offer (I believe it was about $75.00 for one of the near mint cards) for my set....He replied that if it was the only card that I needed to finish the set.....only then would he sell me one! Since that day...I turn over a new leaf.....or was it due to beckett changing its system:rolleyes: Best regards, David

How would he know if/when you needed just Clemens? Perhaps a small white lie is in order in this case!! You have all but Clemens now...go get it!

This Beckett member had 7 of the 10 Roger Clemens gold cards.....Made a fair offer (I believe it was about $75.00 for one of the near mint cards) for my set....He replied that if it was the only card that I needed to finish the set.....only then would he sell me one!

How would he know if/when you needed just Clemens? Perhaps a small white lie is in order in this case!! You have all but Clemens now...go get it!

He use to be on the beckett message board....don't know if he's still there or gone! Might check with magic papa as he's on the freedom board and everywhere else! Best regards, David

Well guys I could think of another word you might use if your not to blinded by non sense or your ressitance to the truth. The word obsession comes to mind. Though we are not likely going to admit to that, that is another story. As I do know trying to complete a set is not easy. I have been trying for two years now with out any luck on four sets to be exact. needing 7 on one, 3, 1 and 4 on the others. I did complete one which took some cunning and patience. But luck to any one trying. Like I said it is not easy.