Do autographs/sharpie fade over time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawaiian BamBam

Veteran
4.90 star(s)
Hey guys,

Do autographs/sharpie fade over time? I know that it depends on how you store them and lighting conditions and all. I know that cards that i had autographed in the 1980's have all but faded. they say its because sharpies back then werent good quality. i bought into that theory , then i found some autographs that i had signed just in the past 5 years or so, with new sharpies. they have been stored in the dark, out of any light and guess what the sharpie is fading! I also know that certified autographs tend to fade over time such as the sticker and band aid autographs and certified autos from products such as fleer gotg and leaf certified series. so i was wondering do autographs or sharpie fade over time? thanks

Anything will fade over time in direct sunlight, keep it out of harm's way and sharpies are permanent; you will have to be concerned about the acid in the cardboard deteriorating your card before the sharpie ink.....

thank you so much. i thought i was going crazy or the only one that noticed that sharpie fades over time.(as i could not find one person that agreed with me that autographs/sharpie fade over time) good thing im selling off my collection before my autos fade and are worth nothing! thanks

Black, especially in the 80's and earlier were made with a different dye in them and can fade or get a "yellow" hue around the signature over time. Blue sharpies don't fade. Don't ever get sharpies on baseballs, the majority of the time it's going to fade. Baseballs should be signed in blue bic crystal pens. If they're 8x10's, they should have acid free matting and backing plus UV glass.