eBay Buyer/Seller Questions (eBay Standard Envelope Shipping)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loyalty32

HOF
5.00 star(s)
I'm hoping to get opinions on the following from my fellow Bench Members who buy/sell on eBay.

*When buying on eBay, which do you prefer?

-Higher BIN/BO/Opening Bid Price on the card w/Free Shipping?
-Lower BIN/BO/Opening Bid Price on the card w/Shipping Charge?

*Are you receiving or shipping Autographs and Game Used Cards (or even thicker Base/Inserts/Parallels) in a PWE with the eBay Standard Envelope Shipping Program?

-If so, any condition issues due to being shipped in a PWE?

*In regards to the $20.00/3oz. max value/weight to utilize the eBay Standard Envelope Shipping Program...

-Am I correct in my assumption that you can combine multiple auction wins from the same seller as long as the total card count allowed (10-15) doesn't cause the weight to go over the max allowable three ounces or the $20.00 max value?

-Assuming the above is correct, as long as you have the correct shipping options listed, does eBay automatically combine the totals correctly across all auctions at the time of checkout?

I hope all this makes sense! I appreciate your insight and time!

Thanks
Craig

Somewhat of a learning experience for me, use the non-toploader "Standard Size Card Storage Sleeves" when shipping to California if you plan on using this method... ie Ultra Pro or Beckett Shield or BCW, etc... especially for California. I've mailed two with this method and both times their USPS charged me for a 1 oz $4.45 padded mailer price for a white pwe with the printed information... even though it had the eBay information, tracking etc... Basically, they are useless... and don't know what they're doing.

What I've started doing is paying $0.51 for the 1oz, and adding my own additional ounce 20c stamps for non-machinable. Makes life easy, and just write it on there for "Do Not Bend + No Machine"

Seems to have fixed all problems outside of California, although I did get lucky with one to Fresno, not named David K! ;)

But i've gone away from using Top Loaders + PWEs, non-machinable or not, just because of the risk of POs charging the customer back $3.56.... and knock on wood, not a single damaged card/ripped open envelope, etc. Tracking works, sometimes. Most POs don't scan it upon delivery.... but I haven't had a "I didn't receive it" message yet from those that never got the confirmation tracking number shown as delivered.

Hope that helps !

Hey Craig,
myself I prefer to bid on a seller that has the cheapest shipping. That's not to say I won't bid on an auction that has a stiffer shipping cost, but I'm more mindful of my bidding at that point.
My experience is PWEs are not meant for thick cards. If you opt for nonmachineable in a PWE, that might be another case, I would like to hear what others say on that.... best, Rooster.

zlw1 - That's tough. I guess like most things, there's a learning curve. Hate to see you getting charged those prices or even having to add an extra stamp. I guess that's better than the customer getting it and leaving a negative feedback though...

Rooster - I've always worried about creasing with the thick cards. Hopefully some others can provide some insight as well.

I appreciate you both taking the time to respond!

Thanks
Craig

Makes no difference to me as long as it is mathematically correct. For example:

$8.00 with free shipping
$4.00 + $4.00 shipping.

Makes no difference to me as a buyer. The only difference is that the $4.00 card will have - or should have - the traditional Paypal tracking whereas the $8.00 is more likely to have the Ebay pwe tracking. I as a buyer would prefer the traditional Paypal tracking, but have had zero issues with the Ebay shipping.

I believe it has in the rules of Ebay pwe shipping that it is only tracked to the sorting destination city. For me it has "Out for Delivery... St. Louis". Which freaked me out at first (I'm Salem, IL) but lo and behold there it was in my mailbox! The USPS will never scan the item, which I confirmed with my mail carrier that the USPS does not even have the means to do so.

The most I have ordered has been 7 cards from one seller that came via Ebay pwe shipping. The total on Ebay was automatic and was indeed correct. Received the cards just fine, no damage what-so-ever. They were packaged in the thin cardboard envelopes (not sure what they are actually called) and all 7 in a couple of semi rigid sleeves.

Conclusion: the first few times I was a bit nervous & worried but I am very confident & comfortable in the Ebay pwe delivery system now.

zlw1 - That's tough. I guess like most things, there's a learning curve. Hate to see you getting charged those prices or even having to add an extra stamp. I guess that's better than the customer getting it and leaving a negative feedback though...

Rooster - I've always worried about creasing with the thick cards. Hopefully some others can provide some insight as well.

I appreciate you both taking the time to respond!

Thanks
Craig
Never tried it with thick cards. Only inserts.

Karl - 7 cards, huh? I've never shipped more than 3 cards via PWE. That's going to feel weird!

I appreciate the info and your time, my brother!

Thanks
Craig

Karl - 7 cards, huh? I've never shipped more than 3 cards via PWE. That's going to feel weird!

I appreciate the info and your time, my brother!

Thanks
Craig
Yeah. I was nervous myself. He had them taped to the cardboard and everything nice and neat.

I stay away from eBay shipping. I have noticed that people that send me stuff using ebay a lot of the times sends me notifications it was delivered in a town 30 miles from here and it either shows up a day or 2 later or not at all it's happened more than a half a dozen times and only eBay shipping not from any other. I have Stamps.com it's cheaper and you don't have that problem. Make sure you use free shipping in your listings though or feebay with slap you with a shipping fee even though you're using a different shipping service.

I wouldn't ship any game used cards in the pwe but I've sent some thick base or #ed cards from Inception or Museum in them. They usually fit in a 55 point top loader and that's as big as I'll go thickness wise. I've sold a ton of $5-$10 cards like this on eBay and haven't had any issues with it. I have also shipped the cheaper autos this way as well.

Steelers8873 - That's crazy. I hope they get that straightened out! Thanks for the info!

dan5 - I appreciate the info! Are you using regular PWE's or cardboard mailers?

Thanks
Craig

Hi
eBay shipping doesn't exist. The seller is the person that prints the label, even through eBay, postage is with Paypal,and the seller attaches the label to the envelope and takes it to the USPS!

Now, if you are buying boxes of cards with a price that is too good to be true, like BC for under a $100, it's a scam! I know because I tried it to buy a box of 2020 BC for $89.95 with free shipping. Knowing it was probably a scam, I contacted PayPal and had a PayPal rep on the phone ☎watching online as I made the payment.
So, five day later, I get an email saying the package had been delivered by my garage, which seemed an odd place to leave it Or course wasn't anywhere. I contacted the local USPS and had them check where the package was actually delivered and found it was delivered on the other side of town. She said the cheaters figured out a way to change the delivery address, even a s you get DC info saying it was delivered to you. The postal scanners show the longitude and latitude of where the piece is delivered.
I contacted PayPal and told them the situation, and was given my payment back.
Bob