Ebay fee avoiders!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A nice dent and dinged corners but "stored flat in a zip-lok bag". LOL

$35 s/h is none of my business :cool:

Sure, it's none of my business either, until I bid on the card. I didn't notice the s/h charge until after I bid. I asked the seller if this was a mistake, knowing full well it was not, and indicated that if it was his actual s/h fee he could cancel my bid. I didn't wait for a reply, because the 12 hour mark was approaching fast and would have passed while I slept, waiting for his reply. Plus, retracting within 12 hours isn't allowed at all. His reply was as expected, coming with less than 4 hours until auction end. His fee was clearly posted and that because I bid and retracted (not per ebay rules), he was going to report me!

It's funny that someone who is so obviously and blatantly breaking the rules would expect me to honor my bid after a mistake in bidding (it happens sometimes that I don't read the full description or view the pictures before I bid), let alone actually pay him $35 to ship the card had I not retracted. I don't retract bids often, but this guy is a moron. Best case is he cancels my bid and I don't report him. Worst case is he asks like a jerk, I report him, share his auction to the world and hope he eventually gets the boot (only to come back with a different user ID, of course).

I don't mind ebay charging fees for their services. I don't even mind a reasonable attempt at overcharging, as I build the cost of inflated s/h into my final bid amount, but this is just wrong. He isn't quite as bad as the guy who admitted he was avoiding fees, but worse in that at least the other guy was honest about it!

EDIT:

Looks like my "warnings" were useful. He relisted the card w/ FREE SHIPPING...only $35.49 opening bid. Bob Bailey is tough, but not that tough! He hopes to get that much for the card obviously. Now he spent more for the listing fee and it probably won't sell. Start it at 99 cents, provide reasonable s/h fee and it will sell for a "reasonable" amount.

Last edited:
Eh, I got a wild hair on this one today and contacted the seller with this.

Dear philtreaster,

is the $35 S&H fee a typo? Its my understanding that sellers are not suppose to make any profit on, or pass along any fees to the buyer through excessive S&H fees. Im sure thats not what your doing, right? Its really suppose to read $3.50, isnt it.?

I got this as a reply.

Dear ********,

I have had several questions about the S/H, I will wave the S/H if you would like to get on a plane and fly to the middle of the Pacific Ocean, then rent a car and drive 2 hours to my house (with gas at over $4.00 a gallon on this island) then you can have the item for the winning bid price.
Thanks

- philtreaster

He must think that nobody knows how the PO works. A very small increase in postage, due to the airmail status has been my experience.

His argument really doesnt hold any mud, anyone could use it. Does anyone on the coasts really want to drive to the middle of Nebraska to pick up a card? NO? well then, I have justified a $35 S&H fee, right?

whatever.

clinton

*****update, he relisted the card starting at $35.49 and free S&H.

Last edited:
You get replies like that from tools. Good, honest sellers don't act that way.

I reported ALL of his auctions for inflated s/h, but it was only a few hours before they ended. All have been relisted with more reasonable s/h terms now. I don't think they were shutdown, but now the guy knows he is being watched (and reported)!

If ALL costs are prominently displayed I personally wouldn't care even if somebody said something like "I want $50 "extra" because I need gas money to drive my alcoholic uncle to the liquor 4 times a week". What do I care ? The bottom line is all that matters. And NO I don't care if someone is evading ebay fees. Ebay has managed to find a way to suck every nickel possible out of everyone so doesn't bother me in the slightest if somebody finds a way to snap the wallet shut sometimes.

The listings that REALLY make skin crawl though are ones like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220716045749&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT. Seller has horrible fb and yet people still bid.
YEAH
MAYBE
I'm gonna get a Thorpe game used for $19 !

Yeah, that's very misleading. It's not even what some people might call a grab bag. I'm sure the seller has no inteltion of selling the card pictured. His feedback is ridiculous too, as well as the seller's response to the neg's.

i thought the add said NO COMMONS, but there are, was not what i was expected.

Reply by money.4.grad.school
Listing Never Said "No Commons" Lot Include Manny NFL Stars -Buyer is Blocked!!!

If ALL costs are prominently displayed I personally wouldn't care even if somebody said something like "I want $50 "extra" because I need gas money to drive my alcoholic uncle to the liquor 4 times a week". What do I care ? The bottom line is all that matters. And NO I don't care if someone is evading ebay fees. Ebay has managed to find a way to suck every nickel possible out of everyone so doesn't bother me in the slightest if somebody finds a way to snap the wallet shut sometimes.

The listings that REALLY make skin crawl though are ones like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220716045749&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT. Seller has horrible fb and yet people still bid.
YEAH
MAYBE
I'm gonna get a Thorpe game used for $19 !

Wow, the buyer really got duped. The seller clearly stated in the auction that this was an attempt to avoid selling fees and only expected the item to sell for $0.01+ shipping. Yet, the item went for almost as high as the expected value (shipping) price+ the shipping price. I'm sure the buyer didn't read the auction. Ouch!

PLEASE NOTE: the "shipping fee" is for the price of this card including shipping, just trying to save on final auction fees. So, I expect this card to sell for the $0.01 starting bid, maybe a few dollars more, plus the $139.99 "shipping fee."