eBay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dankir96

MVP
5.00 star(s)
I think this is the correct forum for this question.

I have won several items on eBay within the past 7 days. I have not made payment yet because I'm waiting for an item that I have listed for auction to close this weekend. My plan is to use those funds to pay for the items I've won.

I have sent emails to a couple members explaining my plans to them. One sent me an eBay late payment warning! Just a few minutes ago I received an email stating the following....It's been 5 days!

What is wrong with people? Is 7 days too long to make payment? I was nice enough to send a few of them an email with my plans.

I've been a member since May of 2003 and I have 2383 Feedbacks along with a 100% rating. I'm not going anywhere. Why would I ruin my reputation on eBay.

Am I wrong here or is it them?

Sellers are always anxious for their money, I dont think you are wrong, and I also dont think they are wrong, but if they dont have any stipulation in their auction thread, as too when payment is expected (i.e. 5-10 days) then its the sellers fault for not putting that in there.

-Nick

personally , if i know i'm going to need more than 2-3 days to make payment if i win an item , i write the seller BEFORE i bid to make sure that won't be an issue (even if their listings say payment is due within 5/7/10 days , i just want to make sure there is a good line of communication) ...most sellers are happy to work with a buyer if it means a satisfied (and potential repeat) customer....

now , playing devil's advocate here for a bit - suppose you wait til your item sells ....that buyer decides he is going to wait 7-10 days to pay you....what do you tell the people you've bought from who are now waiting for their money ? even worse , what if your buyer is a non-paying bidder ?

just my 2 cents....

Sellers are always anxious for their money, I dont think you are wrong, and I also dont think they are wrong, but if they dont have any stipulation in their auction thread, as too when payment is expected (i.e. 5-10 days) then its the sellers fault for not putting that in there.

-Nick

Exactly. I checked to see if that did put a stipulation in their post and they didn't. What will happen now, is I'll send the money and they'll take their time shipping it to me.

-Nick

I agree, I ALWAYS put in my auctions that 'payment is due within 5 days after end of auction' ...... many, like myself, are usually waiting for that $$ to come in so I can purchase an item that I want for my pc/wantlist so I dont wanna wait too long as that item may no longer be available - erik

I can't find where it says it, but I believe after 7 days, the seller can file a non-paying bidder complaint against you. Just a few of those will get you banned from Ebay.

I personally wouldn't file it against you if you since you had let them know ahead of time, but not all sellers are as nice as me :D

- Britt

Bottom line is people want their money. I would not worry about it because you are well established. Your only worry now is that the winner of the item you have listed for auction pays you in a timely manner.

Because of so many dead-beat bidders… sellers are quick to jump to conclusions that bidders will not pay. Most of the sellers in the early days of Ebay would never have been able to make it. The process of mailing payment, waiting on checks to clear ect. It was a close to a month turnaround on a transaction.

cmcjr99, the only problem with contacting the seller before you bid is the chance of shill bidding.

Per ebay...

Unpaid item policy

Policy overview

When a buyer wins an item or uses Buy It Now to purchase an item, they’re obligated to complete the purchase by sending full payment to the seller.

If a buyer doesn’t pay for an item within 4 days, sellers can open an unpaid item case in the Resolution Center. If the buyer still doesn't pay or reach some other agreement with the seller, eBay may record the unpaid item on the buyer's account.

When an unpaid item case closes without payment from the buyer, sellers are eligible to receive a final value fee credit to their eBay seller account. Also, if they relist the item and it sells the second time, eBay may refund the insertion fee for the relisting. Learn more about how the free relist policy works.

cmcjr99, the only problem with contacting the seller before you bid is the chance of shill bidding.

that had never been an issue for me....i know what my max bid will be....i'll either enter it as soon as i see the item or just before it closes....in either case , i'm not going chasing beyond my limit....

if it's an item that i need and i know i'd need a few days to pay for it , i find it far better to ask first if i can wait to pay rather than just take for granted i can't and miss out an item i need or find myself being hit with non-paying bidder complaints from impatient sellers....the benefits just outweigh the drawbacks....communication is a wonderful thing...

What if the winning bidder on your auctions waits 7 days to pay you? It can become a vicious cycle. I always try to pay auctions within a couple days & usually expect the same from buyers. I had an auction where the winning bidder hadn't paid after 8 days & made no contact with me. So I opened an unpaid item dispute & they paid 12 days later. The buyer then sent me an angry message about me opening the dispute.

Most sellers, and rightfully so, expect payment upon purchase of the item. If you didn't have the money to purchase the item right away, you shouldn't have bid on it.

I'd have slapped you with a NPB report, too.

Best thing to do BEFORE you bid is to send a email to seller and ask if you can send payment in 4-5 days... This way you can aviod whatever problem may arise.. most are going to say no problem!!

Christopher

The best thing that can happen is to go ahead and sell the things you do not need anymore BEFORE you buy something. That way, you have the money in your account and pay instantly when you buy something. Personally, I only sell on ebay for (2) reasons: A) I have something that is hot that I do not want. I sell it and keep the money in my Paypal account to buy things I want. B) I NEED the money. If you took longer than 5 days to pay me via Paypal for an auction in which I NEEDD the money - I would be highly upset.

Tim

personally , if i know i'm going to need more than 2-3 days to make payment if i win an item , i write the seller BEFORE i bid to make sure that won't be an issue (even if their listings say payment is due within 5/7/10 days , i just want to make sure there is a good line of communication) ...most sellers are happy to work with a buyer if it means a satisfied (and potential repeat) customer....

now , playing devil's advocate here for a bit - suppose you wait til your item sells ....that buyer decides he is going to wait 7-10 days to pay you....what do you tell the people you've bought from who are now waiting for their money ? even worse , what if your buyer is a non-paying bidder ?

just my 2 cents....

Pretty much my feelings as well.

Most sellers, and rightfully so, expect payment upon purchase of the item. If you didn't have the money to purchase the item right away, you shouldn't have bid on it.

I'd have slapped you with a NPB report, too.

That is how I feel as well, unless there has been prior communication. If you do not have the money, then do not bid. I pay for my auctions within about 5 minutes of the auction ending if I am at home. If I snipe a card it gets paid for when I get back home. I honestly do not know what is so hard about that. BID -> Pay -> GET CARD -> EVERYONE HAPPY Don't break the chain. :)

I'm going to echo what some others have said. What if the person who wins your auction waits 7 days or so before paying? Then you have the sellers from the auctions you won waiting upwards of two weeks before getting their money. Odds are you will have some NPBs on you before that time.

As a seller I expect payment within 5 days and I post that on my auctions in the payment section. If I don't get payment within 5 days I file the complaint the next day.

If I purchase a card and can't pay within the time alotted or it may take an extra couple of days I will contact the seller before hand to make sure it is okay. Most of the time it is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.