Favorite Card Set

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCLJ520

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
I just saw a success from Brian on an 87 Topps, and I was wondering what everyone's favorite set was. Obviously 52 Topps is highly collectible, and the vintage stuff, tobacco cards, etc. will always be huge in value and collectibility. What is everyone's favorite set and why.

Mine is 87 Topps, as that is the set that got me interested in cards and collecting. The wooden bat borders and the nameplates, as well as the photos Topps used on the cards really made me like baseball cards. I was born in 1981, and I see so many players that I watched as a child now making it to the HOF and being recognized for their accomplishments, it is fun to reminisce.

Let's hear from you!

God Bless,

Kevin

For the same reason as you, my favorite set is the one that got me started collecting and that was Topps 1973 set. I was in grade school and I would take my cards to school to trade, that is where my first collection was stolen, but that did not deter me; I started right back up again, opening those wax packs, stuffing those squares of stiff pepto bismol-colored bubble gum into my mouth and trading. That's what was so fun about that '73 issue, I had friends on my block to trade with and unlike the previous years, Topps stopped making the limited high #s.

89' Topps got me started when I was a teenager. Although it had been years after I loved flipping through my dads old boxes of commons/inserts and finding a Sheffield rc. Although it would be worth less than a couple bucks it was always an addition to my collection. I like that the card got me paticularly interested in the hobby a bit more but besides that I favor any year of Topps Triple Threads. I haven't come across a single card for my pc that I didn't like the looks of. They aren't TOO expensive either, well at least if you're purchasing the individual cards online.

83 topps.... Love the then (black and white pic) and now inserts. And the picture with a circle picture. Even made my sons baseball team a set of these. Love them! 5fad50f47e5f2919756cf8209691538c_zps75cbe88f.jpg

1992 Bowman. It was the first premium set with a TON of rookie cards. It became the set that all other sets would be judged by in the future.

I like 1954 Topps. I have very few cards from the set but I really like the way they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

83 topps.... Love the then (black and white pic) and now inserts. And the picture with a circle picture. Even made my sons baseball team a set of these. Love them! 5fad50f47e5f2919756cf8209691538c_zps75cbe88f.jpg

Nice team set!!!

For me it is a toss up between the 1980 Topps (my first packs) and 1982 Topps (the year I really became aware in a baseball sense).

2006 was the first year I started collecting seriously and the first set I attempted was 2006 Allen & Ginter. In my opinion, it had the best non-sports people of any of the A&G sets and the 1886 design cannot be matched. I had a good portion of the set complete and ended up spilling Kool Aid all over them and had to basically start over from scratch. To this day, I have still not completed it through trading but I'm very close (missing 3) and it has been a fun journey. After I complete it, I'm going to start on another.

Frist regular set was 1990 Leaf series I and II. The second is the first chrome set 1993 Finest!! Now days....Gypsy Queen has put together some really need sets. Best regards, David

I would go 1975 Topps. First packs I remember buying on the way to a fishing trip with my dad and my 3 brothers. I still remember to this day dad giving me a couple dollars and me getting like 8 packs and opening in the dark to Lake Conway Can't remember if we caught any fish or not but the first card I seen when opening the packs was Ted Simmons, for some odd reason I remember that.

Dennis

I have always liked the 1982 Topps set. the hockey stick design seemed the best that I can remember. And I remember when I first got the Tom Seaver In Action card out of a pack. It just seemed so bright and such a great card. The 1980 Topps set was the first one I remember opening packs from. It was also the first set I completed. I also remember a kid in class having over 20 of the Henderson rookie cards because he said they were worth over 1.00 each. All the other kids told him he was crazy because who would ever want more than one of any card. My how times have changed.

My how times have changed is right! GREAT stories, friends, I am happy to see so many of you reminiscing about pleasant memories as a child or youngster....I remember the feeling I had when opening packs of 87 Topps, and my later favorite set, 90 UD, which had some cool action shots too. We had some friends from SF come into town every year and stay at the house I grew up in, and they ALWAYS brought me great cards. Johnny (RIP), Jimmy, and Eric were great guys and childhood heroes of mine! They got me started collecting cards, and I have enjoyed it ever since!

Thanks for the great stories, keep them rolling in!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

Kevin,

I started collecting full-time in 1989 so I am endeared to those sets for nostalgic purposes, even the Score set ;) However, my favorite designed cards are the 2005 SP Legendary Cuts set, 1962/87 Topps sets, 1986 Donruss, and 1991 Stadium Club.

Each have their place in my collection for different reasons. I love the antiquities look of the 05 Cuts which is my most favorite set ever. Some of the inserts are not that becoming but overall a classic look. 62 & 87 Topps both have the wood grain boarders, albeit done differently. I just like that, reminds me of the bat and it connection to the game. 86 Donruss had the Canseco RC (my favorite active player growing up) but that is not necessarily the reason I like the set. Something about it just captivated me. I really enjoyed the three different colors of the base, rookies, and highlights sets. Lastly, the 91 SC. That was the first high-quality photos I remember seeing with the photo taking the whole card minus the elegant wording.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!
Dewayne

1978 Topps is my "first pack" card set. I will always hold that set in high regard, although the design is fairly plain. I do like the scripted team names and the AS badges. 1977 is a better looking set for me, especially with the action photos and the AS banners.

My favorite set design though is probably 1956 Topps. The Jackie Robinson card sealed the deal for me as a kid, as did the Mantle.

I would go 1975 Topps. First packs I remember buying on the way to a fishing trip with my dad and my 3 brothers. I still remember to this day dad giving me a couple dollars and me getting like 8 packs and opening in the dark to Lake Conway Can't remember if we caught any fish or not but the first card I seen when opening the packs was Ted Simmons, for some odd reason I remember that.

Dennis

Wow! Nice memory recall, I love the color border on those sets, but hard as hell to find them in NM condition. Also, for the color & design scheme, love the Magical Mystery Tour look of the 1972 Topps
nothing beats those ones for originality….

cdahlk and mrmopar thanks for the awesome scans and stories first of all, very cool stuff! Great customs too by the way! Second of all, 56 Topps with Robinson at the end of his career and Clemente at the beginning of his, undeniably awesome!

Thanks to everyone else, Dewayne, cool stories about your favorites, and I had forgotten that the 62 and 87 topps both had the bat borders! Rooster, thanks for the Beatles reference, those were some psychedelic cards!

God bless everyone, and keep the stories coming!

Kevin Mc

Dennis

For me it was 1980. My dad gave me 50 cents to go to the corner store to buy myself a candy bar and a pack of gum. However, I saw the display of cards and for some reason I decided to buy two packs of 1980 Topps.

The first card? Johnny Bench.

Being an 8 year old and not sure about anything related to baseball, I asked my dad if "Reds" was short for Red Sox. He laughed, told me they were from Cincinnati, not my native Boston and from that point on I was hooked.

To this day my dad complains that I "waste" my money on baseball cards.