Favorite line of cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaplain11

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Throughout the years there have been threads about favorite sets and stuff but I am curious as to which is your favorite line (Topps Tribute, Fleer Focus, Greats of the Game, etc) as a whole. Some lines lasted for a few years and died off. others were pretty much the norm from year to year. Some came and went and came back again. Based on the quality of player selection, design, bang for your buck, ration of inserts/parallel/auto/gu and so on what is at the top of your list.

Overall I would go with SP Legendary Cuts. It was a milestone line when it first came out in 2001. I remember buying three boxes at $150 a pop thinking "oh my god how expesinve cards are getting." Of course that was at the begining of the price inflations but I digress from that point.

They have tried many gimicks in the line such as Short Prints (2003) in the main set and as high numbers (2006-2009), facimile signature cards (2003), etched cards (2003) and every imaginable way to do a game used or auto. The odds were always fairly decent at two to three game used or autos per box plus an assortment of inserts.

The player selection at first was mainly HoF type guys with a few non-HoF (2001) and dwarfed into the primarily current stars in the base set that it was at the last offering - which in my opinion detracted from the line. 2007 was the begining of the end as a high-end product from that stand point.

The designs have been some of the nicer cards (with the exception of the 2003 and 2006 offerings). 2005 is my favorite year with 2001 and 2008 pulling up second and third.

The Cut autos were the big attraction with the line. I have truly enjoyed trying to pull one of the big guys. The best I could muster buying the cases I did (2005-2009) was a Dizzy Dean or Lefty Grove. But I still got a fair share of HoF players. I prefer pictures of the players on the cards and starting with 2008 they seemed to have disappeared for some reason. And the selection of HoF players started to drop for 65th round draft pick type guys I had never heard of. That being said still was enough to chase the big ones.

Long thread I know, just curious what you all thought.

Dewayne

Although I agree with you 100% on the Legendary cuts. I will have to lean towards Topps Tribute. These cards are just gorgous. I still wish that there was a line of cards just devoted to HOF players, coaches and executives. I would buy many boxes of that.

Jason

Although I agree with you 100% on the Legendary cuts. I will have to lean towards Topps Tribute. These cards are just gorgous. I still wish that there was a line of cards just devoted to HOF players, coaches and executives. I would buy many boxes of that.

Jason

Amen to that brother! Topps Tribute is a close second for me. Although I did not buy much of it because Gehrig was not included in the line for several years because UD had the rights. Beautiful cards with a HoF centric base.

Dewayne

I'm going with Topps Heritage. They are just plain throwbacks. Also, I always wondered back in the early 90's what it would look like to have guys like Cal Ripken Jr, Frank Thomas, and other current players of the day on cards of the vintage design. When Topps hit that magical 50-year mark in 2001, we got to see just that. Each year, they are adding to that awesome blend of current players/vintage designs.

I absolutely can NOT wait for the 2011 set - my favorite design ever......the 1962 Topps!

Tim

I would say that my favorite is Topps triple threads. They have some unbelieveable gu pieces. Sometimes I just like to browse ebay and the different pieces and just drool. My second favorite is 2005 absolute memorabilia. Back in 06-07 I was trying to collect every card from it because the patch cards look great. (the design not so much).

The Legendary Cuts cut autos are by far the best of the offerings. As far as live HOF player autos, Topps Heritage is #1 in my book. Love the retro look of them.

Topps Archives or Topps Fan Favorites. I love seeing the older lesser known players showing up on cards again, especially on refractors!

Topps Archives or Topps Fan Favorites. I love seeing the older lesser known players showing up on cards again, especially on refractors!

I agree with you, those are two of my favorite sets. As much as I like collecting guys like Ruth, Cy Young, Honus Wagner, etc, I'm getting kind of sick seeing them in every single Topps insert set this year (Peak Performance, Turkey Red...). I loved those Archives/Fan Favorites sets because of the versatile checklist. Good luck finding a card of Mario Mendoza in any Topps sets nowadays! :)

My favorite was the SPX....pulled a Albert Pujols auto redemption card and got one from ebay for $70.00. Still have both them in my personal collection. Best regards, David

Leaf Certified Materials was always a favorite of mine. I always liked the Mirror parallels. Really hope that since Upper Deck is out, Panini will be allowed in so I can see this set in baseball again.

I really like Topps Heritage, Topps Archives/All-Time Fan Favorites, Topps Rookie Cup (although they really could only do that once), and Greats of the Game. I was completely addicted to Donruss Classics and am still trying to hunt down some of the tougher autographs.

As a kid I really loved the Donruss Opening Day sets. I think 1987 and 1988 were the only sets they did, although they kinda just renamed them to Donruss All-Stars in '89 and '90.
1987OpeningDay.jpg

I'm going with Topps Heritage. They are just plain throwbacks. Also, I always wondered back in the early 90's what it would look like to have guys like Cal Ripken Jr, Frank Thomas, and other current players of the day on cards of the vintage design. When Topps hit that magical 50-year mark in 2001, we got to see just that. Each year, they are adding to that awesome blend of current players/vintage designs.

I absolutely can NOT wait for the 2011 set - my favorite design ever......the 1962 Topps!

Tim
Couldn't agree more or have said it better!
I look forward to this release each and every year.
Now that we,also,have the high # series,it only
enhances the fun.
Ken

I happen to think Ultimate made some really exteremely nice cards. 06 Game material signature set is great. 07 Numbers match autos are really nice.