FINALLY! Less than a week! Taking 1st trip w/son this week....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trapped212

Veteran
5.00 star(s)
Hello all,
Sorry if this is a re-read. I posted it on SCN too.
I used to take a ST trip with some card store friends from 1984-1988. An adventure and great times every year. Numerous stories, but ultimately, life took over and college and yada and most of those cards are long gone. No reason to drone on, but damn....especially as I look at wantlists of those eras. Damn.

Anyway, 30 years later I have a son, Shane who is almost 11 and we are getting ready to hit the road this weekend for our first trip together.
Looks like the Marlinsfest on Saturday, (Jupiter is closest to us), Nationals and either Astros/Tigers Sunday, Pirates/Orioles Monday, Rays and Twins/RedSox on Tuesday.
We're working a the 2013 topps heritage and high number set (maybe the minor league set someday) we're at 120/600 and didn't have the luxury of having the cards this time last year.

What I'm appealing for is: What are the major changes that I/am facing after 30 years away from the gates:
Example: In Bradenton, they used to have the team hotel right by the area where the players walked to go to the locker room. Bonds even signed back then, and they practiced there.Now I see they practice 5 miles away?? Do they still go to the field to dress and then drive over? Not looking for trade secrets, but just some news that I don't waste our time. Do I go to the Orioles first, and then drive to Pirates fields?
Whatever we get signed is a bonus of course, it's me and my boy and we are very excited about the trip. We plan on having some extras signed. I feel guilty asking for 2,
We love trading with people in Arizona who are auto friendly and in similar situations like us.

Any tidbits are gladly accepted and will "pay it forward" on our end too.
Thanks for the read,
Jeff

Will list successes in the appropriate box and will use this link for stories about the spring.

Spring training with Shane (pics added??)

Giving the edited version to the site by just focusing on the autograph/park visit aspect of our trip. Knew we were going during pitchers/catchers but had President's day and Tuesday teacher work day off.

Saturday, Feb. 15, Marlins Winter Warm-Up (formerly Marlinsfest) Another Marlins production. Players in groups around stadium. No times given. No players announced. A scramble. We hit Yelich, Marisnick, Capps, Ozuna, Brantly, Dawson (1 per, only flat) and a few of the guys numbered in the 60's which we had no cards. Stars were at photo op booths but no autos there. Fernandez was very cool there. In the Sunday Sun Sentinel there is a photo of Fernandez with some mascot, and Shane photo bombed and appears under the armpit in the back of the photo. Unreal.

Sunday, Feb. 16 drive up to the Nationals camp in Viera Fl. 2 1/2 hours from our home in Boynton Beach, but a straight shot up I-95.
Made Shane leave at 5:30AM with me as I was still going on 30 years past experience, or so I thought. We knew it was just Nationals pitchers and catchers, but still went on. Found out quickly that the coveted back area was off limits until the beginning off the season, so we headed out the fields, where we quickly found out that no autographs was the policy until after practice, which was noon. Shane was cool with it all and was even given an official baseball by one of the ushers at the Nationals camp. Hanging out the people were great. One man in camo gear gave Shane a coveted spot by the fence for the end of practice in hopes of getting Strasburg for the first time. (He did Heritage high!!) I didn't. Didn't care. Another gentleman gave me a Bob Boone card as he was in camp. Got that signed.
At noon, we got one autograph combined of Gio Gonzalez (another high #), Storen, Clippard, Garcia, Livan Hernandez, maybe a combined 20 in all and we headed to Kissimmee to see if we could get the Astros on the way out.

Kissimmee--pulled in the front where the security guard told us that everybody was long gone for the day. I looked at Shane and said OK and we drove to the back of the field where the players parking lot was and there was action. We got our stacks and headed over. Small group of people, seemed to know all the players cars.
We hit Jarred Cosart which was our key player as we saw his debut in Tampa when he threw 1 hit ball for 8 innings. Anyway Mr. Cosart was very gracious and signed 6 for us combined and we shared our story about his debut. Couldn't find tickets in car, but Shane grabbed ball from Nats camp and had Cosart sign on sweet spot, which he did. Altuve signed, Castro, Chambers, Fowler, and many of their young stars which we were cardless on but no matter. I had a bried panic attack because I didn't have a Matt Dominguez Heritage with me. I was able to trade for one there and then 5 minutes later Dominguez came out and drove straight by without signing. (A collector there ended up trading me a Dominguez autograph for some extras I had. Found the players and people nice and we had a ball the first day. No issues. No awkward moments on either side. Sweet. Total of 57 autos and a Cosart baseball. Driving to Sarasota as Orioles are in the morning.

Monday, Feb 16th---Sarasota for Orioles. Eventually made our way around to player parking lot. There were 10 people there at the most. A couple of ladies from Baltimore and some other guys. Came to find out that players reported early because they had a golf tournament at an exclusive club w/ gate, so whatever we got, would have to be here. Only player to sign for us on way in was Jonathan Schoop, Shane was thrilled as he likesthe new players and we got 5 total sigs. Walking around inside nobody was signing. Shane was again given an official baseball, this one had practice stamped on it, but it didn't stop me from asking Jim palmer to autograph it, he did! Signed for all and even stopped in parking lot on way out. Not many else did. Markakis signed one each for Shane and I. We got 3 Gausman autos, a Steve Pearce and Shane used a different baseball to get the Korean player that the orioles just signed. (Signature looks like Quiz) That was it. Left for Bradenton at noon.

Bradenton---At least 2 dozen fans hanging out by Pirates parking lot so we mingled in. Again, we did better in afternoon, got Jeff Locke, Chase D'Arnaud, Morris, Lambo, Melancon (personalized to Shane on Heritage), Snider, Barmes. Starling Marte stopped and signed for collectors and dealers alike. Shane in his genius, went around to the passenger side where Marte's friend would hand him 2 cards to sign. Shane did that twice, got 5 in all, and I was shutout on him. I had more fun watching him. Again, the people were nice and it was fun talking autographs with collectors and getting tidbits. Total for day was about 42 combined and a Jim Palmer and Korean player sweet spot ball. 4 camps in 2 days and Shane and I were on a roll. No stress. No awkward moments with players although Jordy Mercer asked him if he was getting a card signed for an adult and putting it on ebay. Shane swore no, he was just helping a friend. Heading to Port Charlotte for the Rays, very excited about this one for Wil Myers.

Tuesday, February 18th---Port Charlotte---once again we arrived very early to find that there is no access to the Rays parking lot, save for that dirt road path which we didn't feel comfortable with hanging there so we went inside and stood waiting for them to let us in. The Rays batting cage was within 20 feet and Wil Myers was walking to it. We were the only 2, about 20 feet away and we just said Hi, and made small talk as he walked to cage. When he came out, Shane asked him for an autograph and he replied that he'd sign after practice but couldn't now.....just then I heard myself say to Mr. Myers, "..but we won't be here in the afternoon, we have to leave." So whiny and his response was to shrug. I mean, what's he going to say as he hears that all the time. I was mortified. Thought I blew it for Shane big time. Shane said he wanted to stay until practice ended so we did (we were supposed to go to fort Myers and Twins) I guess I panicked after 3 early mornings in a row. Shane was a trooper and eventually they opened the gates. Again, no autos until after practice. By the end, we managed to get Balfour twice, 4 odorizzi (left my Heritage card signed by David Lough at home!) I asked Odorizzi if he signs TTM and his response was If he gets it, he will sign it. Snagged 4 Heath Bell and I told him that I was glad he was on the right coast of Florida this time and his response was, "you got that right." We each got a Desmond Jennings, Shane got Loney who ignored me. Then Wil Myers came. He walked on the opposite side of the fence and signed one each for everybody. Shane wasn't sure if he would come back, I said he would. Myers finished at the end and then walked back to the opposite side of the fence and signed one for each. Shane got the Heritage High Number, I got a Bowman rookie signed. Now, at this moment, Shane says, I smudged it, meaning the Myers Heritage. Wil hears this, backs up to Shane and says let me see. Shane shows him, Mr. Myers takes another card and signs it. What a man! More amazingly, Shane found this footage on youtube that captures this moment. if you type in: (Wil Myers signs autographs at Rays Spring Training 2014) Shane is the boy in the Rays hat at the beginning of the video. Just amazing. But there's one more moment to go. David Price had told Shane earlier that he'd sign later, well later was coming and they were getting ready to clear the fans when Price emerges. The First voice I hear is Shane ask Mr. Price to sign because he had promised him and gave his word. Price, to his credit, just sighed heavily and slapped his own forehead. He signed the heritage High Number 3rd for Shane. When Price came closer, I apologized for Shane calling him out like that. Price replied that he was glad he was keeping him honest but you tell that the man has heard that sort of thing every day of his career. (I believe there is video ofthat too, but I'm not endorsing that!) I didn't get my Heritage leader card signed, he stopped just short of me, but still. Shane did, but we each had a goober moment. And you know what, after 3 days and 5 camps, I'll take one awkward but no really moment. It doesn't define Shane nor me. My biggest disappointment was not getting Ali Solis on my Heritage card. Not sure where he will end up. Believe our total was 18, but huge on Myers and Price and Jennings Off to Fort Myers.

Fort Myers---twins---arrived late and really didn't know which parking lot to go to so we went to the Red Sox camp down the road.
All shut down there. They didn't even want us to watch the minor leaguers practice. Something about spies. We were done. Headed for home. Glad the shutout was at end of trip and not beginning. so much more to share, but the bottom line is that we had a fantastic time, we met some very cool people. Met Floridaillini from SCN at the Rays. Not sure if we saw Papi at the Nationals camp. I got to spend time with my boy. The trip was never about the autographs. Those were just a bonus.

Trying to upload photos. I just can't do it without help. I can tell you that Steve Kemp is card number 120 in the 1985 topps set, but I can't figure out, nor have the inclination, to upload photos. Need my better half. We got them onto an album. If you click on trapped212 there's an album with some of our booty. If someone wants to email me the basics on posting pics like I am a 5 year old, I'll pass it on to the missus. By the way, human rain delay Mike Hargrove rookie card from 1975 topps is 106. I've never seen baseball card numbers as a topic on jeopardy. Damn.

Last edited:
Great stuff! Time like this with your son is something that will be cherished in years to come.

Thanks for sharing. Love to see some of the autographs you picked up.

Great stuff! Time like this with your son is something that will be cherished in years to come.

Thanks for sharing. Love to see some of the autographs you picked up.

I have to second what Mort said here, your son will NEVER forget this trip, you guys enjoy and safe travels!

God Bless,

Kevin Mc

Glad to hear you and your son had a great time! Maybe one of theses days....might check out the spring training in Arizona. Best regards, David

Thank you all for the great posts. Looking at ST of 2016 to venture to Arizona. Was able to get some photos taken. Here's some of the loot. Shane's stuff is put away already.
(no, photos have to be sent through Picasa which I don'thave. Need my tech adviser to help. can't do anything tech. Photos will be added later.

Last edited: