Flippers at it again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just a heads up for anyone looking for 2021 Topps blasters. Target online just listed them at 8:00 this morning

Never mind, sold out in less than an hour. I was lucky enough to grab 2.

Last edited:
I was able to snag a blaster at the Target in Menominie Falls this afternoon. They had plenty left at 2pm. And by plenty I mean around 10...

I hope these flippers realize that their greed is going to price out of the hobby any kid or collector who is in this as a hobby. I hope they get stuck with them.

I hope these flippers realize that their greed is going to price out of the hobby any kid or collector who is in this as a hobby. I hope they get stuck with them.
Pretty much. As I was watching bits and pieces of the rip party, it was like no one was interested in the base, and the inserts and hits were barely even given the time of day. To them it's all about the money they can make. Also got an email from Dave and Adam's card world and selling jumbo packs for 30 plus dollars? Insane...

It also has to be collectors.....thinking they can add extra income....by hoarding on stuff at retail stores and on line orders from Topps. Notice that some collectors always seem to have the good stuff.....Chromes....and the on line stuff! Best regards, David

I've heard some Targets are getting direct from Topps stuff - they were selling the Update Chrome Sapphire on the website. I remember stores used to occasionally have hobby boxes on the shelves - Shopko, K-Mart, etc. but usually the product was a few years old.
I pulled a Babe Ruth Jersey card 3/3 from Leaf Certified Materials from a Walmart back in 2005. I also pulled an Ichiro autograph from UD gameface at Walmart. Both were hobby boxes.

Are we made because people are buying to flip or are we mad because people are buying to open...I lost track.
I think it's a little a bit of both. Until last year, I never had issues finding something at a retail store. I'm frustrated at times when I see the line of people waiting for the stock to be set out, whether they are buying for themselves or to flip. I don't have the time to sit and wait, so I have to move along. Then also frustrating when I see the shelves bare and have a need to bust a box. Shelves being empty brings the "chase" aspect of of the hobby to me. Driving to different local stores to see if they have anything on the shelf, is like trying to chase down a 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. RC when I was a kid. Fun at times, but frustrating most of the time.

Billy

Got a hair cut yesterday ...supercuts which is close to Target...dropped by before my appointment and not one blaster, box or pack of baseball. It was so empty looking! Best regards, David

I think it's a little a bit of both. Until last year, I never had issues finding something at a retail store. I'm frustrated at times when I see the line of people waiting for the stock to be set out, whether they are buying for themselves or to flip. I don't have the time to sit and wait, so I have to move along. Then also frustrating when I see the shelves bare and have a need to bust a box. Shelves being empty brings the "chase" aspect of of the hobby to me. Driving to different local stores to see if they have anything on the shelf, is like trying to chase down a 1989 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. RC when I was a kid. Fun at times, but frustrating most of the time.

Billy
Billy - that's what I've felt more than anything with the current situation - I remember walking to IGA and them not having the cards I wanted in the late 80s because they were sold out. I either bought something else, saved my money for my next LCS trip (Mitchell's!), or walked to an Albertson's and Safeway's that were farther away. I'm excited when I find stuff out in the wild but I've had to adapt a little - buying more Topps online product helps scratch the itch. I saved up a bunch of money from not finding retail over the last six months and splurged on my Series 1 stuff - back to normal for Heritage (couple of hobby boxes and whatever I find out in stores).

I've also purchased more singles and some nice little collections on Craigslist. Just shifting the focus of what I do right now. My key is to focus on the things I can enjoy and not the parts of my hobby that are less desirable (scalpers, grading, etc.)

Yeah! Drop by Target on my way to the hobby store and ......12 blaster boxes (the one with the make patches)....picked up and lefted 10 blaster boxes! Got to hobby store and purchased 8 hobby packs of 2021 topps and 2 plastic sleeves that Beckett now makes for the USA! Opening the two blasters on the break section! Best regards, David

A new, and novel approach at the Meijer in Greenfield, WI
View attachment 8546
Ive got to be honest with ya, all retail stores who carry sports cards/ Pokemon/ Magic etc. in general should have been doing this for decades now!!! Takes away the dirt bags who pack search, pack weigh, and resell who are ruining the hobby cause they want a quick buck "whatta schmuck"!!!

Am I the only one who thinks the bubble is going to burst on this hobby in the not too distant future? I actually thought it would happen by now. Sports cards were ice cold for decades and suddenly they are the hottest thing going like it is the late 80s-early 90s all over again.

I'm not just talking about the new stuff (which I know nothing about). The older cards have had mind blowing price rises as well. Some cards have gone up so exponentially, it is like we are talking Monopoluy money. It is beyond strange that the hobby exploded in the midst of a bad economy. When the economy tanked in 2008, people were giving their cards away. This time it is just the opposite.
To an extent, there is a huge bubble that will burst regarding supply and demand once the ‘flippers’ can’t make their money anymore. However, i think the overall market keeps a net positive due to the amount of new collectors. Even if 10% stick around, more collectors is good for the hobby is about every way possible.