Going to the National--any tips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

teammaddux

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Planning on going to the National later this summer in Baltimore...just wondering if anyone who has been there in the past can give me some advice as far as to what to take with me, what I should expect, and any other general advice. I will be there by myself, I will not have to worry about parking as I will be dropped off/picked up, and I will not be doing anything with the autograph stuff most likely.

One question I do have is since it is the National, am I to expect just dealers of high-end stuff or pure memorabilia stuff, or will there be dealers there with quarter/dollar boxes, etc.?

Thanks for any advice,

John

I've never been but if you can pick up some David Wright #'d or refractors or rare inserts for a decent price I would be willing to trade heavy in your favor or possibly buy if the price was right.

Most of the stuff you will see will be high-end stuff or pure memorabilia stuff. Mostly vintage stuff. You always have a few tables with tons of cheap GU'ed stuff but not much.

Ron

John,

Been to 6 Nationals and I'll be at this one as well. Ron is correct that there will be a lot of high-end stuff as well as very unique memorabilia. However, at the ones that I've been to there is plenty of other stuff. There will probably be about 6 dealers selling nothing but unopened boxes. My favorite dealer will be there with a great assortment of items. He always has a double booth and has box after box of low-end G/U'd as well as $.25 cards from all sports. Then, he has various display cases of higher-end stuff but several mixed in of $10 game-used. IMO you won't be disappointed by the National. I look forward to it every year and this year I'm flying in which is a first for me.

I know that several others from this site are going to be there. We'll put together a time to meet. I'll be there maybe Thursday night, all of Friday and most of Saturday.

If you have any other questions, PLMK.

Take Care,
Melissa

Need a backpack! Inside backpack:
  • Note book with want list with prices!
  • Pen
Snacks:
  • Peanuts
  • Sun flower seeds
  • bottle of water/make sure it does not leak!
  • cool temps...okay to bring cholocate snacks!...but in warm or hot temps...no cholocates
  • A pack of top loaders
  • one or two plastic slevees packs
and the most important tip....Have fun!! Best regards, David

In the past there have been a few dealers with quarter boxes. There are also mid level tables and the high price stuff.

I moved on from a backpack at these big shows, I am now up to a suitcase on wheels. I have a small one and a large one. I have only used the large 1 time. I knew I needed a case of penny sleeves and did not want to carry it around. So think ahead to what you might be looking for and how you will carry it all day. Then bring that list to the show.

Good shoes are a must. Pen and paper to write notes. This will be the biggest show you have ever seen and way bigger than you can imagine.

I also bring an eight hundred count white box with sleeves and toploaders. Got to put your cards somewhere when you buy them.

Most important is to bring lots of $$$$$$.

Have fun, wish it was closer so I could go.

Shawn

I've been to a couple and my experience was that there was
plenty of high and low end stuff.Yes,take top loaders and perhaps
a smaller storage box as well.
When is the Baltimore event taking place?
Been wanting to visit the Babe Ruth Museum and(maybe)
spend some time at the National as well.
Ken

Most of the stuff you will see will be high-end stuff or pure memorabilia stuff. Mostly vintage stuff. You always have a few tables with tons of cheap GU'ed stuff but not much.

Ron

Yeah, when I went in Chicago I spent $28 total for my player collections. Vintage heaven but not really much else.

Ran into some oddball dealers but unfortunately their prices didn't always line up with reality.

The biggest thing that gets overlooked, get plenty of rest. The floor is usually pretty large and takes a long time to go through everything. Plan on spending a solid day going through the whole thing. And bring snacks and something to drink. Everything is overpriced so if you can cut costs that way, do so.

I'll be there as well. It's about a 15 minute drive for me to get there. Probably going to go for 2 of the days.

I plan on going on thursday and friday. I am taking the light rail downtown. I suggest that to anyone who is not familiar with Baltimore City. The light rail stops across the street from the convention center. That way you do not have to worry about parking and last time I checked a round trip ticket was $3.20. There are several stops and one goes directly to BWI airport. Hopefully will be able to meet up with some of you.
Trish

Have been to 2 Nationals and the best advise I can offer is:

1. Get plenty of rest before going (don't try to do everything the 1st day)
  2. Wear comfortable shoes & clothes (you're going to do A LOT of walking)
  3. Bring paper & pen (you're never going to remember where you saw what)
  4. Take a want list (there's more stuff there than you can imagine)
  5. Bring something to carry the stuff you buy (for protection)

HAVE FUN!!!

if anyone is planning on getting Earl Weaver's autograph let me know, wouldn't mind getting him on a card of him and Dick Williams already signed by Dick

Lots of good suggestions! I will be there for at least one of the days. Looking forward to meeting some other Bench members!!

It is about a 50 minute drive into Baltimore for me, so the drive isn't to bad! Just like going into Camden Yards.

I am thinking of going down this year for my first trip to the national. Would any of the local Bench members have a good suggestion on where to stay? I am thinking of flying down on saturday and then back home on sunday. also, anyone have a link to the show info?

Thanks for any help!

There is a comfort inn and a quality inn between BWI and downtown that is a short drive in to town if you have a rental or is also on the light rail line.
Comfort inn address is 6921 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd 410-789-9100
Quality inn is right next to it
If you google hotels in Linthicum MD you may find others (the Airport is in Linthicum about 10-20 minute drive to downtown Balt.) Baltimore streets can be tricky lots of 1-ways. I highly recommend the light rail train, usually very safe, not very expensive last time a roundtrip ticket was $3.20 may have gone up a little and it stops right outside of the convention center.
There is also a shuttle from BWI to the hotels
Here is the link to the national site
http://www.nsccshow.com/

There is a comfort inn and a quality inn between BWI and downtown that is a short drive in to town if you have a rental or is also on the light rail line.
Comfort inn address is 6921 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd 410-789-9100
Quality inn is right next to it
If you google hotels in Linthicum MD you may find others (the Airport is in Linthicum about 10-20 minute drive to downtown Balt.) Baltimore streets can be tricky lots of 1-ways. I highly recommend the light rail train, usually very safe, not very expensive last time a roundtrip ticket was $3.20 may have gone up a little and it stops right outside of the convention center.
There is also a shuttle from BWI to the hotels
Here is the link to the national site
http://www.nsccshow.com/

Thanks Trish! you're the best!

I have not been to the National since the one in Parsippany NJ back in the early-mid eighties. Looking forward to going this year. Be there Thursday and/or Friday. Mike