Have you ever paid sales tax on Ebay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tugboat2648

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
I just won this auction on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350241430129&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

When I went to pay I noticed that I was being charged sales tax on the item (I missed it when I originally bid bec. of Ebay's awful redesign it was hidden under the shipping tab). While the amount of money, about 2.50, is certainly not a big deal, it still struck me as odd for 2 reasons

1. The seller is in Florida and yet only charges sales tax for buyers living in NY
2. I cant really ever remember paying sales tax on an Ebay win, especially an auction one

My question is have other people paid separate sales tax on Ebay or is this something worth asking the seller about?

thanks

I have paid in the past when buying from NJ sellers.

Usually it's someone with a registered business.

I have paid sales tax when buying from a Mass. seller.
Even if the seller is based in Florida, but has a retail presence anywhere in the State of NY, they will be required to charge sales tax.

When you set up your auctions it gives you the option to charge tax or not, if you are not from the sellers state you should request them remove it, unless they have a legit business set up in your state as well...if they are not doing business physically in your state they are probably pocketing the extra money and not paying your state the tax the collect.

I've paid for Washington buyers only. I believe there is no requirement still for internet auction taxes, unless the seller is in your state. I have to say if I am paying tax, the seller better be reporting the income!!

One time I thought I was SUPPOSED to charge lol. I think I charged like 15% and I sold an item for like 75 bucks lol. Then I was told I can't do that. But the harm was done. Eh. Learned my lesson though.