Hello Everyone! I collect Joe Montana...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoDoesKnow

Bench Warmer
Happy to sign up here. Once per decade I revisit this hobby and it is that time again. The pride and joy of my Montana collection is my Silver Anniversary card was purchased for me at Super Bowl 25 when I was a kid. I sent the card off to San Fransisco in the mail because it was my favorite card of my favorite player, and it was around 9-10 months later I got it back signed.

If you search for these cards, you only see the "Super Bowl Supermen" version on the internet. This one is tougher to find but presumably can still be found in the full sets of Silver Anniversary cards which are available, so it is not very rare I dont think, but Im not exactly sure. This is the #2 in the set... different than the Supermen version which is #33. I do love the fact that mine was purchased at the Super Bowl and I wouldn't sell this for 10x it's value.

Attachments

• joe-2.jpg
    joe-2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to the Bench! My younger brother is also a big Joe Montana Fan. I once went to a collectors show in Anaheim, Ca a long time ago....they were getting away free Joe Montana Teddy Bears! 100 free bears to the first 100 fans each day.....each bear was different for each day of the show....one was Irish from his days at Notre Dame....One was 49er bear...one was Kansas City Chiefs bear and of course a Superbowel MVP bear! I was there everyday and got my brother his free set of Joe Montana bears! Best regards, David

Last edited:
Welcome. Here's a thread with the Joe Montana cards I have available.

Christmas is coming, Hang Joe on your tree.
4 1/2 inch like new.
If nothing else it should make you smile.

Attachments

• WIN_20220831_17_52_08_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220831_17_52_08_Pro.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 7
  • WIN_20220831_17_52_58_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220831_17_52_58_Pro.jpg
  • WIN_20220831_17_52_08_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20220831_17_52_08_Pro.jpg
Last edited:
I learned today that the "Silver Anniversary Team" cards came from the Silver Anniversary Binder (which I now remember) and the Super Bowl Supermen cards come from the set of 160 which was sold as a set differently.

Welcome to the Bench , Bo. I also had sent Joe an autograph request as a sophomore in high school, because I liked him as a player and when he and the niners beat the boys to go to the Super Bowl I thought it was cool cause I was born in Montana. (But family had recently moved to Minnesota.) The REAL reason I did it though was I was hoping to give it to a girl in my class that I'd been crushing on since 8th grade and she loved Joe as well. I'd asked to personalize it to her. If you want a unique Montana collectable, in 93 the smallest town in the state of MT changed it's name to Joe. And the printed up shirts that said "Don't pass up Joe, Montana" the picture is one I found on ebay and it was selling for about 50 bucks. Screenshot_20220903-194649_Messenger.jpg

Welcome to The Bench! I'll bet you are TOUGH to find Montana needs for.

Just for curiousity's sakle, do you have the 1981 Holsum disc? I always found that facinating that it is the only other "card" produced the year his RC came out.

Funny to think back that in 1981 pulling the Joe Montana RC was no big deal. I don't even know if I realized it was his RC back then. The big RCs to pull in 1981 Topps were Mark Gastineau, Art Monk, Kellen Winslow and Billy Sims. The latter was a really big deal for me as I was living in Michigan at that time.

Welcome to the Bench , Bo. I also had sent Joe an autograph request as a sophomore in high school, because I liked him as a player and when he and the niners beat the boys to go to the Super Bowl I thought it was cool cause I was born in Montana. (But family had recently moved to Minnesota.) The REAL reason I did it though was I was hoping to give it to a girl in my class that I'd been crushing on since 8th grade and she loved Joe as well. I'd asked to personalize it to her. If you want a unique Montana collectable, in 93 the smallest town in the state of MT changed it's name to Joe. And the printed up shirts that said "Don't pass up Joe, Montana" the picture is one I found on ebay and it was selling for about 50 bucks. View attachment 80797
Cool... but $50 seems a bit lofty to me on that one. My last investment on any goods made in Montana went south. I thought these **** birds would be worth millions.

****-bird.jpg

Welcome to The Bench! I'll bet you are TOUGH to find Montana needs for.

Just for curiousity's sakle, do you have the 1981 Holsum disc? I always found that facinating that it is the only other "card" produced the year his RC came out.

Funny to think back that in 1981 pulling the Joe Montana RC was no big deal. I don't even know if I realized it was his RC back then. The big RCs to pull in 1981 Topps were Mark Gastineau, Art Monk, Kellen Winslow and Billy Sims. The latter was a really big deal for me as I was living in Michigan at that time.

No disc, only recently learned what that was when I was poking around some youtube videos.

Not too hard to find Montana stuff on ebay... there is enough limited edition stuff being made every year for him that it is not very limited anymore. I have changed my thoughts on collecting limited print Montana stuff recently as I have noticed how much of his stuff they still make and will likely continue to make. Im still into it but I but Im being pretty picky about which stuff I want.

No disc, only recently learned what that was when I was poking around some youtube videos.

Not too hard to find Montana stuff on ebay... there is enough limited edition stuff being made every year for him that it is not very limited anymore. I have changed my thoughts on collecting limited print Montana stuff recently as I have noticed how much of his stuff they still make and will likely continue to make. Im still into it but I but Im being pretty picky about which stuff I want.
I was looking at EBAY sold raw 1981 Holsum Montana Discs and they were only selling for $30-$50. That is way less than I expected. I'm still kicking myself for passing on a 1976 Slim Jim's Walter Payton disc from someone here about 2 or 3 years ago for about $40. I wish I could take that decison back even though I have no idea if it went up in value.