Hello Everyone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDog

Bench Warmer
(Copied from my SCC post)

Apologies for not introducing myself earlier.

I got my first pack of cards in 1977. It had those 1976 world series cards. That's where I learned that the Reds were bad people.

My dad would give me a dollar to go get him a pack of cigarettes at the mom and pop down at the corner and I'd get a pack of cards with the change. I'd be with him at a convenience store while he bought his lottos, and he'd buy me a box of cards. Such a cool thing that I'll never forget, and I can't wait till my 6 year old (I started late) cares so that I can do it for him.

First set I put together was 1979 Topps Baseball. Parents got me the 1975 set for Christmas 1980. It's my favorite set (and why I'm back into this with these 2024 heritage cards).

I went nuts collecting in the early 80s. Then again in the early 90s. So I've got the 1975 set, 77-92 or 93 of mostly everything. Thousands of doubles. I've also got basketball and hockey sets my dad got me around 79/80.
I've got tons of upper deck hockey, basketball and football from the early 90s. All different companies. All untouched since back then that I need to go through. I also have a 1963 set I've dabbled with trying to build since inheriting a small pile of them back in the early 80s. I'm down to needing around 50-ish cards, but they're mostly all the main $ star cards.

The wife frowns upon this stuff, and I don't blame her. I wasn't collecting when we met, and she had no idea my closet was absolutely packed with cards!

I really like these card breaks you guys do. I'm exposed to cards I'd never see or care about. I don't know how much I'll stay into it after this 2024 heritage phase, but it's been fun trying to make some trades and I appreciate everyone who's interacted with me so far.

JDog

Back