Help with some '58 Topps Oddball/Error Cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chaddie84

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Front and back scans shown:
02F.jpg02b.jpg
1958 Topps #100B - Bob Hazle (front)/Early Wynn (back)

I also have a similar card for 1958 Topps #69 Wally Burnette. Maybe it's #69B? Early Wynn is on the back of the card.

01F.jpg01b.jpg

I also have several "Ad Backs" like the one shown.

I'm helping a friend sell part of his vintage collection online through COMC, I sent in around 200 cards and am stuck on a handful of oddball cards from the 1958 set. The site didn't provide much for extra details or BVs on these. I also didn't glean much info off my Beckett. Does anyone have an idea on these? Are they rare? There's an Early Wynn "YT" which books for $100, is this it? In that year there are multiple cards listed as "YT" or "YL". Any idea on these acronyms?

1958 Topps - Bob Hazle on the Front, Early Wynn #100 on the Back (Upside Down)

1958 Topps - Wally Burnette on the Front, Early Wynn #100 on the Back

I also have some cards which look like they may be old box-bottoms or - I have cards of Bob Hazle, Bob Martin, Frank Bolling and Ronnie Kline with Bazooka-Related Marketing information on the backs (see scans below). They are described as "Ad Back", but I can find no further information on these.

Thanks for your help in advance!

-Chad

01b.jpg
Courtesy of CheckOutMyCards.com

08b.jpg
Courtesy of CheckOutMyCards.com

Last edited:
Anyone? I'm hoping with all the vintage collectors on this site somebody would know or even have an educated guess.

I can tell you that "YN" = "yellow name" and "YT" = "yellow team"; the regular version of the card has name/team name in white and the yellow ones are the rarer versions. There are photos of cards at this website (which I'm not affiliated with) so you can see for yourself:
http://www.deanscards.com/Baseball-Cards/29/1958-Topps.aspx

Ad backs I can't help you with. You might try e-mailing someone at Beckett or SCD who can help. They must be pretty rare, though.

At the end of Beckett on-line it has this. For what it's worth.

1958 Topps

494 Warren Spahn AS $12.50 $25.00
495 Herb Score AS $7.50 $15.00
NNO Contest Card July 8th $20.00 $40.00
NNO Felt Emblem Insert N/A N/A

Thanks for the help. I will check with Beckett to see if I can find any more info.

The front not matching with the reverse...is this common? Has anyone seen anything like that before from the vintage Topps?

Thanks for the help. I will check with Beckett to see if I can find any more info.

The front not matching with the reverse...is this common? Has anyone seen anything like that before from the vintage Topps?

I am not sure if wrong backs were common in 58 but in general it it's fairly common. I myself have 65 OPC Don Drysdale wrong back. They are printing errors. I hope this helps.