Hmmm...Do I have a fake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

potvin48

All-Star
5.00 star(s)
Ok, I have a printing plate question...
This is my 09 Bowman Derrek Lee plate:
%20Lee%20Bowman%20Magenta%20Printing%20Plate%201-1.png

Here's some on ebay (these are 09 Bowman Chromes)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250597289611

Why is the Chrome plates backward, but mine looks like the actual card. I thought plates were mirrors of the actual card, because of how they're printed?

Take this plate for example (the letters in his name and the image are mirrored)
rrek%20Lee%20Topps%20Cyan%20Printing%20Plate%201-1.png

But in this one, the image is not mirrored:
0Topps%20Update%20Magenta%20Printing%20Plate%201-1.png

Can anyone make any sense of this for me? Also, why would the Bowman and Bowman Chrome plates be any different? Why would one be mirrored and the other not...Is one of these a fake?

hhmmm that is pretty interesting... maybe Bowman is trying to put one over... i just don't know why (or how for that matter) someone would try to dup a plate.

The chromes are printed in a different fashion. Basically normal cards are printed directly onto the card stock, so a "negative" printing plate is used so that the final product is oriented the correct way. My understanding, though, is that chromes are printed on the back of the clear coating of the card, where it shows through the clear coating, and then the clear coating is applied to the backing. This way, the printing plate needs to be oriented correctly, instead of being a negative (sorry, I can't say the more eloquently :D) Anyway, long story short, you do not have a fake. It's just a difference in the printing technique used between normal cards and chromes.

- Britt

Last edited:
Not fake. I had some plates of Dominic De La Osa (5 of them). 3 were chrome, 2 were regular Bowman. The Bowman Chrome were backwards, the Bowman were normal. Not sure why there were this way, but they were. So: you will end up with 2 of each plate (Yellow, Black, Magenta, and Cyan). One will be normal, the other will be backwards.

Tim

Not fake. I had some plates of Dominic De La Osa (5 of them). 3 were chrome, 2 were regular Bowman. The Bowman Chrome were backwards, the Bowman were normal. Not sure why there were this way, but they were. So: you will end up with 2 of each plate (Yellow, Black, Magenta, and Cyan). One will be normal, the other will be backwards.

Tim

Yup!

I always wondered that too..

07bowmanchromeprintingplatecyan.jpg

09topps206printingplatescyan.jpg

Thanks for info!

I've noticed that some of the Chromes are negatives, too. I guess not all are printed the same way, maybe?

yep...as stated...chrome cards are always reverse images.

I like the regular card plates better myself lol.